Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

South Florida Wrenching Society..or...Clutch replacement day one.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 12:41 AM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to loosen the lower engine mount bolts and move the engine around to get the clutch housing off.

The transaxle was sort of like that too. It goes in ONE way. I jacked it this way, moved it that way, fooled around with for an hour, and finally it just popped in. Amazing.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:58 AM
ERAU-944
Race Car

hey you guys!!! - goonies style

i gotta get in on the SFWS!

hopefully something will break on someones car this summer so i can help

-Mike-
Old 04-21-2004, 07:57 AM
Mr. Avionics
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good morning all,
The parts arrived late yesterday so we are all good to go. I'm going to start by cleaning up some stuff and get the little things done so all that will be left is the large parts assembly. Really, like Brian said, the only thing that was a little tricky was getting the bell housing to fall down, other than that all went super slick. The ref sensors came out easily, just turned them a little and pulled right up. Wish I had a picture of the fuzz that is on the ends of them, haven't cleaned them yet, so Travis if you have digital camera, bring it along, get some pic's. Will be working on it all day.
And "OH Buy The Way" item, the balance shaft belt is VERY loose, looks like I doged the bullet on that one. Rollers and such are fine, so will just replace the belts.
See ya all later.

Bill
Old 04-21-2004, 09:19 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok Bill. I am going to try to drop by around 12. I will give you a shout before I leave just in case. I will bring the camera so we can get a few pics going here.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:10 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

cool deal bill! i'll be down to see you sometime this summer!

-Mike-
Old 04-21-2004, 05:40 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well - i got tied up for most of the day and just got free - how'd it go????
Old 04-21-2004, 06:26 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

Wish it wasn't being done on a weekday or I'd love to poke my head in and help since I know it's something I'll need to do sometime...
Old 04-21-2004, 06:54 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

jason - we need to meet and compare cars - sounds very similar!
Old 04-22-2004, 12:22 AM
Mr. Avionics
Pro

Evening update:
Well today went good. Got the pilot bering replaced, the clutch mounted then was stuck till Travis came by this evening. Soooo, during the day I got my turbo sway bars mounted, SS brake lines installed, Rear brake pads replaced, brake system bled, fuel filter replaced. Not a bad days work. This evening Travis and I got the bell housing back on, torque tube bolted up, transaxel back on and exhaust hung. All in about 3 hours, no glitches, nada. Also during the day I cleaned and repacked my CV joints, now if any of you haven done that yet, let me tell you it has to be the messiest job there is, even worse than oilcooler seals. I was grease from head to toe by the time I got them done. Now thats a job I really don't want to have to do again anytime soon.
Tomorrow got the little things to put back on, starter, exhaust gaskets, ref sensors ect. Also going to replace the belts and get the intake system back together.
Any body want to play?
Been a busy couple days but the car should be sweet when done.

Till Later,
Bill
Old 04-22-2004, 12:33 AM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

hey bill! i was lookin for an update today - sounds like you got a lot of work done and i'm happy for ya. glad that travis got back to help with those jobs where two hands just isn't enough. sorry that i had to work today, but i had to leave something for Travis to help with!!

i'm busy again tomorrow, but it sounds like you have the big stuff taken care of. keep that copy of the manuals (didn't need it thanks to clarks garage...) and i'll try to swing by friday. (won't be much help then either, however - gotta catch a plane, but we'll see what we can get tidied up)

nice work - and thanks for the education on things.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:50 AM
Mr. Avionics
Pro

All righty Brian,
Well if all goes well should be back on the road by noon tomorrow, will post the results. My pleasure and many many thanks for the help. Hey it was my first time too, not much different than GM products just a few more pieces.
Till later,
Bill
Old 04-22-2004, 10:20 AM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cool

Bill...

Glad to hear things are good!!!

Went to a retirement seminar yesterday, guess I'll have to work another 27 years before thinking about it again! Ugh!!! Work today.

Sorry I couldn't help this time around, but do keep me posted. The support group sounds like a grand idea and there seems to be enough people about to keep it healthy!!!

Again... Congratulations on a job well done!!!

Jim 1987 944S
Old 04-22-2004, 01:49 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bills got this nice new beer tap with keg fridge and Co2 tanks. All he needs is a keg to go in it and we are set. I say we have more gatherings around the tap... hum humm.. I mean Bills house.

Keep us posted on how it all buttons back up.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:19 PM
Mr. Avionics
Pro

Well she's all back together and test run. Got the final few parts pieces on her this morning, replaced the belts, tranny fluid and now good to go. Think I may have to bleed the brakes again, peddle goes pretty far down.
When we took her apart, found the balance shaft belt very loose, there not now! singing just fine. Would like someone who has done them to check them, used the ole "TLAR" method (that looks about right) and seems ok for now. Clutch working fine, a little jittery when first starting out in first but do believe that it does need a little time to wear in, like brakes do.
I guess this concludes the first chapter of the SFWS, Thanks for all the help and support evryone. Rennlist has been very helpful making this a painless
project. Guess when I jump into a project I do it big time, no measly little "belt job" for the first major repair, hell no, I go for the most time consuming job the first time.. Ah well all turned out ok. Now if I can only get my hands clean.....

Bill
Old 04-22-2004, 05:33 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

glad to hear it went well.

/sarcasm=on thanks for at least replying to my posts y'all /sarcasm=off

-Mike-

Quick Reply: South Florida Wrenching Society..or...Clutch replacement day one.