Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD Ignition Box Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 12:16 AM
colinred5
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD Ignition Box Questions

Hello, first time project car owner, 944 owner, and rennlist user. I bought myself an '84 about a month ago, got it running great, absolutely love the car. I was thinking my first big upgrade was to completely redo my ignition setup: new custom 8mm plug wires, msd blaster 2 high vibration coil, new bosch cap/rotor kit, and (the icing on the cake) an msd 6AL-2 programmable ignition box. I have seen a few people switch to the 6AL with great results, and I am just looking for that extra little bit of tunability.
Now I am asking to anyone else who has a 6al (of any type) setup just a few questions:
Does this box replace the DME, and if not, how am I supposed to splice it with the DME?
Am I going to have to make the conversion from AFM to a MAP/MAF sensor? Any recommendations if I do need to convert?

I want to make it clear that my main goal isn't going to be power with any of this, I have seen how discussions tend to collapse when anyone tries to mention increasing N/A power. Just looking for an engine that likes to be alive and can be tinkered with. It just so happens to be that the first step I am taking is with my ignition system.
Thank you!
Old 01-29-2022, 08:39 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

The MSD stuff will do nothing for you but lighten your wallet.
The stock ignition coil is more than sufficient, stock type wires are sufficient, and the ignition timing is controlled entirely by the DME.

Instead of any of that, buy a modern ECU (MaxxECU, Megasquirt, or similar) and have full tunability of EVERYTHING to really get going.
Even better is to get an adjustable cam gear or an offset cam gear key and advance your stock cam 4 degrees, it will really wake up.

Years ago when I had a MAF Conversion and tuned it for premium gas it was worth about +20hp over stock on the dyno and the car was transformed, very responsive, better pull, etc.
I sold the MAF kit for a VEMS ECU (which uses MAP) and the car felt/drove the same as before.

There are cams and exhaust options out there but the universal wall people run into trying to tune a 944 is the sheer cost of everything vs a more mainstream car.

The following 2 users liked this post by V2Rocket:
DasSilberWedge (01-29-2022), T&T Racing (01-29-2022)

Quick Reply: MSD Ignition Box Questions