Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Age

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 04:12 AM
pat944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i do agree with you guys completely, but my old man thinks that towing it to get the belts done is a little crazy, he said if he knew the car he'd have thought of doing the belts and/or rollers in the car park before we left if we bought it. It's gone 16,00km's like it, it's gunna be driven an hour and a half before we get to look at it even, so if it's still running then i'm gunna beleive that it will make it to the shop we've got it booked in at without anything happening if we decide to buy it.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:04 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume that the car has not been used very frequent over the last few years. Than there are some more things to check before driving a car safely for that distance.
- Brakes: corrosion and clogged dust in the mechanism and condition of fluid(older than 3 years = replacement)
- Battery: if not used for longer times it will be half way dead capacity wise. Charging it might help starting but there is a fair chance it will die on the way home. Once the car is running, it will stay running, but once stopped, there will not be enough juice to re-start.
- Fuel lines: these tend to crack and will start a fire. Pay special attention tho the short hose at the front of the fuel rail. Replacement might be required.
This on top of the obvious things like tires, coolant, power steering fluid, lighting etc.
It might be advisable to get a camper, hook a flat bed car trailer to it and consider the round trip a holiday...
TakeCare
Old 04-22-2004, 09:04 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't we have a guy post that he bought a car and the belt snapped in the seller's driveway while he was trying to start it right after he signed the papers? He didn't drive it a foot!

Quick Reply: Timing Age