Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body / chassis dolly, transporting shell

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 09:57 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Body / chassis dolly, transporting shell

What have you guys used to transport a 944 shell? Trying to prepare on getting a shell and was wondering what's the easiest way to go about it. Tried looking for chassis dollies but couldn't find any with a decent weight limit. Shell will not have engine front and rear suspension, transmission, torque tube, front bumper, fenders. Thinking of just stacking 3 wodden pallets on top each other with brackets and big steel casters. Let me know what you've used. Thanks
Old 01-15-2022, 10:49 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 329 Posts

I would say it depends a lot on what "transport" means. I have found the biggest limiation on dollys is what sort of terrain the wheels have to run over, not the weight capacity. The shell, stripped, may weigh 500 lbs. Almost any set of small caster wheels and a wood frame will suffice. But small caster wheels will drive you crazy if you have to go over any cracks or uneven surfaces. And if you need to roll up a ramp onto a trailer or such, you will need some clearance to keep you from high centering on the ramp.

For my latest dolly, I bought the biggest wheels I could find (at Northern Hydraulics). Not because of weight capacity but just to more easily roll it around and get it on my trailer to take to the painters.

I hope that helps.
The following users liked this post:
shortyboy (01-16-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 01:06 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 589 Likes on 355 Posts

Some 2x4, a little plywood, deck screws & imagination.
And some big casters. Harbor Freight has a nice selection.
shortyboy (01-16-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 03:43 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by harveyf
I would say it depends a lot on what "transport" means. I have found the biggest limiation on dollys is what sort of terrain the wheels have to run over, not the weight capacity. The shell, stripped, may weigh 500 lbs. Almost any set of small caster wheels and a wood frame will suffice. But small caster wheels will drive you crazy if you have to go over any cracks or uneven surfaces. And if you need to roll up a ramp onto a trailer or such, you will need some clearance to keep you from high centering on the ramp.

For my latest dolly, I bought the biggest wheels I could find (at Northern Hydraulics). Not because of weight capacity but just to more easily roll it around and get it on my trailer to take to the painters.

I hope that helps.
I will need to remove shell from someones house and flat bed tow it to my place Probably do the same and get big caster wheels. Thanks

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Some 2x4, a little plywood, deck screws & imagination.
And some big casters. Harbor Freight has a nice selection.
Just saw Boost Brothers Garage youtube and saw they made something similar that I needed.
Old 01-16-2022, 01:36 PM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

I’m not sure how temporary or elaborate you want this to be, but I remember seeing a post by 968gene on the 968 forum. He stripped a 968 to a bare body shell and built a dolly that the car sat on. I believe his dolly was sturdy enough for the shell to be winched onto a car trailer, etc. You may get some ideas from him

Cliff
Old 01-16-2022, 02:47 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 134 Posts

Several years ago, I bought some Kingsbury Dollies for my car...They are oak frames, into which a 10 ton jackstand will fit nicely into..they have about 4 " swivelling casters on them. About 250 a set then. Very nice and will give you ample clearance to pull engines, and transport around a shop. You might try Harbor Freight's furniture dollies, as they can do pretty well under each wheel of the car, but you might have to put a piece of plywood in the center if you get the big dollies. The wheels of my car fit nicely into the KIngsbury's without the the jack stands.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:49 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

@shortyboy , I'll get you a daylight pic of an easy to build box tubing roller frame that connects with vertical bolts at front crossmember location and front shackle of rear suspension attachment.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:58 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by shortyboy
What have you guys used to transport a 944 shell? Trying to prepare on getting a shell and was wondering what's the easiest way to go about it. Tried looking for chassis dollies but couldn't find any with a decent weight limit. Shell will not have engine front and rear suspension, transmission, torque tube, front bumper, fenders. Thinking of just stacking 3 wodden pallets on top each other with brackets and big steel casters. Let me know what you've used. Thanks
Here you go bro,

shortyboy (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 05:02 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chudson
I’m not sure how temporary or elaborate you want this to be, but I remember seeing a post by 968gene on the 968 forum. He stripped a 968 to a bare body shell and built a dolly that the car sat on. I believe his dolly was sturdy enough for the shell to be winched onto a car trailer, etc. You may get some ideas from him

Cliff
Thanks, will try and dig up the tread.

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
Several years ago, I bought some Kingsbury Dollies for my car...They are oak frames, into which a 10 ton jackstand will fit nicely into..they have about 4 " swivelling casters on them. About 250 a set then. Very nice and will give you ample clearance to pull engines, and transport around a shop. You might try Harbor Freight's furniture dollies, as they can do pretty well under each wheel of the car, but you might have to put a piece of plywood in the center if you get the big dollies. The wheels of my car fit nicely into the KIngsbury's without the the jack stands.
ill check harbor freight. thanks, would be great to have once it gets a suspension.

Originally Posted by 951and944S
@shortyboy , I'll get you a daylight pic of an easy to build box tubing roller frame that connects with vertical bolts at front crossmember location and front shackle of rear suspension attachment.
just saw the post before my reply! Thanks for the pic. Looks to be what I need.

Last edited by shortyboy; 01-17-2022 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:02 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Old 01-17-2022, 05:30 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by shortyboy

just saw the post before my reply! Thanks for the pic. Looks to be what I need.
Put up a couple more.
Rolling around is one thing, this thing is designed to strap to a trailer for transport without the tub flying off.

This particular one is destined for a 120 mile road trip to an oven.
Been sitting in wait through whole covid period.

Quick Reply: Body / chassis dolly, transporting shell