Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Tank Woes !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 05:05 PM
Spring44
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by maybeillbuyit
OK interesting. Mine says 1000 degrees, I'll give it a try as an experiment, although the spare tank I have probably isn't saveable
If you have a junk tank to experiment on, open it up completely and take pictures of the interior for all to see. It would be interesting to see where the baffles, etc are located and what they look like. For anyone taking their tank in for repairs in the future, it might help to show pictures of the interior of the tank to the repair shop.
Old 01-29-2022, 05:21 PM
Spring44
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gasngo
Good morning everybody to many hobbies I have been looking at watch's. OK my tank is apart and the repair shop says it look good. I forwarded the info regarding the stress points on top of the tank and their comments are it really look good they dont see any concern. They could apply a additional sealant, leave it alone or solder in 2 small patch's. I thought I would throw it out here and see what the thoughts are. Do I just let them do as they normally do and find out a I have gas fumes in a year from now or was there a bad batch of tanks that got in cars and this is rare. Im all ears.
That shop did mine in 2017 and I have not had any problems with leaks, but at that time I didn't know of any potential cracking on top. After interior cleaning, they pressure tested it and then coated it inside and outside, so any leak in the top should have shown up then. I'd say if they could lay a coat of solder on those bends for not much money, then go for it, but if it would boost the cost a lot, I'd say if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Also, don't they have a lifetime warranty on their work anyway?
Keep us posted.....this is good info.

Last edited by Spring44; 01-29-2022 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-30-2022, 01:03 AM
Gasngo
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Spring thanks for staying in on this with me. I agree if it works go with it. We have through tomorrow and even Monday for someone to really say thats a real problem . Ill inquire cost? The young lady mentioned a coat of sealer first then the final coat of finish to keep the surface build up low and not in the way of reinstall. I also agree with you comments for VaN C open it up. I also had that suggestion from Tiger I believe that it could opened and soldered back together and truthfully Im a cheap bastard but I had a couple of extra bucks to apply towards this phase getting it back on the road. Considering taking the trans out again I feel its money well spent in my case. I about to turn 60 and I need to keep it somewhat simple. If I was younger then taking risk would be ok. Its not like these car cars are going away so keep this thread accurate for future use.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:59 PM
Spring44
Instructor

Spring thanks for staying in on this with me. I agree if it works go with it. We have through tomorrow and even Monday for someone to really say thats a real problem . Ill inquire cost? The young lady mentioned a coat of sealer first then the final coat of finish to keep the surface build up low and not in the way of reinstall. I also agree with you comments for VaN C open it up. I also had that suggestion from Tiger I believe that it could opened and soldered back together and truthfully Im a cheap bastard but I had a couple of extra bucks to apply towards this phase getting it back on the road. Considering taking the trans out again I feel its money well spent in my case. I about to turn 60 and I need to keep it somewhat simple. If I was younger then taking risk would be ok. Its not like these car cars are going away so keep this thread accurate for future use.
No doubt that dropping the transmission is the worst part of fixing a fuel tank! I have dropped my transmission twice; once in 1990 to replace the rubber center clutch and again in 2017 to repair the tank. The clutch job I did with the car on jack stands and the last time I had the use of a two post lift and a tall roll around transmission jack. I much prefer the latter method as I am not getting any younger either!
Old 02-02-2022, 03:41 PM
Gasngo
Racer

Just a up date repair shop is moving forward with the additional patch its going to cost a few more bucks than I wanted to spend but I suppose it will be worth it in the long run. Im hoping they will shoot a few images of the process that I can post on the thread. More updates to come.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:15 AM
Gasngo
Racer

I was hoping for a larger shot of the Int but I did not think about it until they where wrapping up Still not done that I know of but I my get a call today we will see.
Old 02-10-2022, 01:07 PM
Gasngo
Racer

All done ins't she purdy!
The following users liked this post:
Spring44 (02-10-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 03:09 PM
Spring44
Instructor

Interesting! I didn't see my tank while it was in process so I didn't know where Hart cut the flap out of the tank for cleaning/blasting. Now I know and now you have no more fuel worries. Nice job!
Old 02-10-2022, 04:53 PM
Gasngo
Racer

Ya hopefully they get it on the truck to Austin tomorrow. That brings me to the next subject new hoses. Anybody find a alternative to the braided line on the expansion tube on the top of the tank. Ill assume its fuel proof. The parts catalog calls it 15 MM if I remember correctly.
Old 02-10-2022, 08:11 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

Ya hopefully they get it on the truck to Austin tomorrow. That brings me to the next subject new hoses. Anybody find a alternative to the braided line on the expansion tube on the top of the tank. Ill assume its fuel proof. The parts catalog calls it 15 MM if I remember correctly.
You might try looking in belmetric.com to see if there is an alternative. They have some 15mm OD braided hose, but I'm not sure what the inside diameter is for the factory hose.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:45 PM
Gasngo
Racer

I took a glance at Belmetric and yes they do have what appears to be proper stuff. Funny I would not be surprised the shop I used to work with probably has some on the shelf. I would really like install this weekend. As I said Ill assume that pipe on the upper side of the upper tank will get fuel splashed in it there for the hoses on each end of the expansion tube need so to be fuel proof. If I have to order something I will but if I can find something on the shelf [not likely] i would like to move forward. Stay tuned! Should start another thread for a different topic.
Old 02-11-2022, 02:15 AM
Spring44
Instructor

I looked at finding metric hoses and braided cover hose but it had to be ordered at a high price, so I finally just used regular rubber fuel hose closest to the metric size and it worked fine. On top of the tank, where you are connecting the triangular cross-section expansion tank to those hose barbs, use as small of an O.D. as will fit on the barbs. Any excess hose diameter laying in that trough/channel in the top of the tank, standing proud of the top of the tank, will only add to the difficulty of reinstalling the tank in its already tight location.

Last edited by Spring44; 02-11-2022 at 02:57 AM.
Old 02-11-2022, 02:24 AM
papasmurf
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Same here...I did not bother getting the braided fuel hose when I redid my tank...I think paragon-products sells it and they are in south texas but you are still going to be waiting for it.
Old 02-11-2022, 04:06 AM
16again2009
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

This guy tells in his video what fuel hose he used.
Old 02-11-2022, 11:27 AM
Gasngo
Racer

Good morning thanks for the input. Ill watch the video but need to get out the door to get the tank. I made a order with Jason at Paragon did not even think to ask him. Im not all that concerned about OE hose as much as fit/size like mentioned above and the possibility of degrading. As for easy access stuff I can find a solution or order something. I just want to get the tank in this weekend before I forget how to put it back together

Quick Reply: Gas Tank Woes !!!