Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

968 Transmission fluid question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2021 | 02:56 PM
zerokreap
Rennlist Member

Default 968 Transmission fluid question

I'm at 64k miles, so I thought it was time to change out the transmission fluid. Picked up some M1 75w90. Just drained the old fluid, which looked clear and decent. No metal shavings or anything on the plug. My one question is related to the fluid itself. What I took out of there was red in color, like dexron. I know you can run that kind of fluid in a manual transmission, but I'm not even sure if that's what it is. Do I need to flush the transmission with the new fluid type, or can the new stuff live in harmony with the old stuff? I'm guessing flush, but I thought I'd check. Thanks guys
Old 12-23-2021 | 09:22 PM
zerokreap
Rennlist Member

I'm fairly sure the fluid that came out of my transmission was ATF. I haven't seen any 75W90 gear oil that's red like dexron, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Based on what I've read, ATF and gear oil are not meant to be mixed. So I've decided to flush. It's an expensive flush, but that's just how it has to be.

I never noticed any problems with my transmission, so perhaps the ATF didn't do any harm.
Old 12-23-2021 | 09:40 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Presuming you have a manual transmission in which case it was unlikely you had ATF in there as I’m pretty sure that would not turn out well. A lot of folk use Redline fluids in their manual transmissions and that has a red color and was probably what was in there.

You shouldn’t need to flush but it won’t hurt anything except your wallet.
Old 12-23-2021 | 11:10 PM
zerokreap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Presuming you have a manual transmission in which case it was unlikely you had ATF in there as I’m pretty sure that would not turn out well. A lot of folk use Redline fluids in their manual transmissions and that has a red color and was probably what was in there.

You shouldn’t need to flush but it won’t hurt anything except your wallet.
I was wondering if the redline stuff was actually red. What I drained out definitely smelled the same as what I put in there...kind of a rubber/pine smell. Though, I will say that having just drained my steering fluid earlier this week, it looked almost identical.

Fluid I drained from my transmission.
Old 08-15-2024 | 06:35 AM
M.Ras
1st Gear

Default 968 transmission help

Originally Posted by zerokreap
I'm at 64k miles, so I thought it was time to change out the transmission fluid. Picked up some M1 75w90. Just drained the old fluid, which looked clear and decent. No metal shavings or anything on the plug. My one question is related to the fluid itself. What I took out of there was red in color, like dexron. I know you can run that kind of fluid in a manual transmission, but I'm not even sure if that's what it is. Do I need to flush the transmission with the new fluid type, or can the new stuff live in harmony with the old stuff? I'm guessing flush, but I thought I'd check. Thanks guys
you are, I'm stuck and would appreciate a little help my 968 was running fine, before it was sent to a local workshop where the oil was changed. ATF. as soon as the oil was changed the car stopped shifting gears. it jitters, fails to jump into next gear, and is undrivable. due to complete lack of experts in my vicinity I'm hesitant to allow anyone to mess with the car. odo is 80k. everything was good otherwise. parked last 6 months due to this issue. local gear expert says it may need to be opened and need cleaning. kindly guide me as it's something very precious to me, and the only one in the country. 968 red 3.0 tiptronic

Old 08-15-2024 | 09:54 AM
walfreyydo
Three Wheelin'

Besides changing the engine oil, changing the transmission fluid is one of the more easier tasks to perform. I would encourage you to give it a go, assuming you have a jack, jack stands and the correct socket (17mm allen). There are many DIY articles and videos online to assist you, such as this one. I wouldnt worry too much about "opening up the trans for cleaning", just let it thoroughly drain (give it some time to fully drain).
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...Oil_Change.htm

EDIT: Original post assumed a manual transmission, tiptronic does not use 75W90 gear oil. Tiptronic from what I can find, uses Dexron III ATF. You can try draining and refilling to see if that resolves the issue, or at least remove the fill hole and see if there is a sufficient amount of fluid. It could just be low on fluid?

Last edited by walfreyydo; 08-16-2024 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-16-2024 | 12:58 AM
jeyjey
Rennlist Member

Ummm... the tiptronic is an automatic, no?
The following users liked this post:
walfreyydo (08-16-2024)
Old 08-16-2024 | 08:17 AM
Gage
Rennlist Member

We should be aware of the posting dates.
Old 08-16-2024 | 09:54 AM
walfreyydo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jeyjey
Ummm... the tiptronic is an automatic, no?

Good point, totally assumed it was a manual

Quick Reply: 968 Transmission fluid question