Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No start - "Starter Overrunning Clutch"??

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 06:08 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No start - "Starter Overrunning Clutch"??

My 86 951 decided to not start today at Canadian Tire. It started normally when I was leaving the house to go there.

From what I can tell (and what Haynes indicates) is that its the "Overrunning Clutch" and that I have to remove and dismantle the starter. Thats as far as it goes on that topic...

When I turn the key to start it, I can hear the click of the solenoid and I hear the whine of what I assume is the starter but the engine doest turn over. I tried when the car was cold (as I was waiting for BCAA ) and when it was hot (after getting home). The tow truck guy got a good workout giving me a pushstart

So is it infact the "Overrunning Clutch"?? How can I fix this, or should I flat out replace the entire starter seeing as my car is 200k miles? Oh and im quite sure its not the battery, thats brand spanking new. I also put in my new DME relay to try that route and no change at all.
Old 04-17-2004, 06:30 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok I unplugged the white molex connector behind the brake booster, and it sounds exactly the same as before, so I guess the loud hum/whine is the fuel pump? Its louder than I thought it would be...
Old 04-17-2004, 08:57 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

*Crickets chirping*

Well I got it out, took it to get it tested, and its dead.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:39 PM
Bones944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep solenoid is gone, I had mine rebuilt for $75
Old 04-17-2004, 11:27 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

fuel pump is pretty loud. alhtough i think its just because it resonates teh fuel tank and then the car itself. because it isnt that loud if i run it wiht my head near it when its not touching the tank.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:03 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Click is the solenoid trying to come to life (I think), and the whine is the fuel pump. Not sure where he got it, but Iceshark found me a new solenoid when noone else could (starter had just been rebuilt, but I cracked the stud and ruined the solenoid). It was like $30 or something.

You can pull the starter and test it to get a better idea what's wrong.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:25 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by iloveporsches
Click is the solenoid trying to come to life (I think), and the whine is the fuel pump. Not sure where he got it, but Iceshark found me a new solenoid when noone else could (starter had just been rebuilt, but I cracked the stud and ruined the solenoid). It was like $30 or something.

You can pull the starter and test it to get a better idea what's wrong.
Actually ive already pulled it and taken it to a starter shop Rebuild looks like its gonna be $229CDN, but im assuming thats for the entire starter not just the solenoid.
Old 04-18-2004, 01:24 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

yeah, that should be the whole thing. Good idea to do the whole thing if it's pretty old.
Old 04-18-2004, 01:42 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by iloveporsches
yeah, that should be the whole thing. Good idea to do the whole thing if it's pretty old.
Yeah my reasoning too.
Old 04-18-2004, 03:24 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Brian,
Can you tell me where you're getting your starter rebuilt? I'm thinking I will have to do the same soon, but since I have a beater car I can afford to have the 944 off the road, so I don't have to pay for a rebuilt starter, and just rebuild the one I have...
Thanks
Old 04-18-2004, 10:49 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Friendan
Hey Brian,
Can you tell me where you're getting your starter rebuilt? I'm thinking I will have to do the same soon, but since I have a beater car I can afford to have the 944 off the road, so I don't have to pay for a rebuilt starter, and just rebuild the one I have...
Thanks
Its a place in Surrey, Frasier Highway and 140th? I can post the exact address for you later today, gotta dig up the card I got form the place.

I might buy another rennlisters spare if he can find it and wants to sell it lol.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:17 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

These starters are built pretty damn tough but I'm sure something has been done if your car has 200,000 K on it. The solenoid wouldn't last that long unless there was an unusual driving pattern. Like you start and drive 500 k only, no short hops.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:28 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I figured out what the noice was coming from my starter...it's not retracting so it's grinding up against the flywheel; it makes the same noice if I were to try to turn over the ignition while the car is on...so is this just a flywheel issue, or starter issue, or both?
Thanks Brian, if you come across the name that would be cool; I'm toying with the idea of rebuilding it with my buddy, but that would depend on if I can find a starter rebuild kit. If not taking it to that place would be a good idea.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:57 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

I figured out what the noice was coming from my starter...it's not retracting so it's grinding up against the flywheel; it makes the same noice if I were to try to turn over the ignition while the car is on...so is this just a flywheel issue, or starter issue, or both?
Thanks Brian, if you come across the name that would be cool; I'm toying with the idea of rebuilding it with my buddy, but that would depend on if I can find a starter rebuild kit. If not taking it to that place would be a good idea.
Guildford Auto Electric Ltd
Phone 604-589-5115
Fax 604-589-7979
14815 Fraser Highway, Surrey

I have no idea what their reputation is, I only went there cause theyre close to my house and they were open saturday afternoon lol

IceShark, I dunno what the POs driving pattern was but I havent seen any bills for starter stuff in the records...
Old 04-20-2004, 02:01 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Starter

I got my starter back yesterday. Total cost was $262 after taxes. I thought I was looking at a new unit when the guy put it on the counter. I also mentioned the place to a few guys at my work, theyve used the place before and where very happy and theyve heard of other happy people. It comes with a one year warrenty as long as you have the bill.

Brian

Hey Brian,
Thanks

Quick Reply: No start - "Starter Overrunning Clutch"??