Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is my 1986 944T worth?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2021 | 03:23 PM
Starson17
1st Gear

Default What is my 1986 944T worth?

I purchased a 944 Turbo in 1986. It's essentially unmodified since I bought it. I replaced the clutch, but not the turbo. It's got 100k miles, but hasn't been driven in the last 4 years. It ran great when I put it in the garage, drained the fuel and squirted oil in the cylinders for storage.

I love that car, but I'm disabled (stuck in a bed for 22 hours a day) and retired. I won't be likely to be able to drive it again. My wife sideswiped a telephone pole 20 years ago and took out the right door. It was repaired and repainted. The AC doesn't work and a few of the gas hinges aren't strong enough to hold up the hood. One of the fog lights is cracked. Interior is perfect. Shifter was repaired with thrust washers when it started to get loose.

I'm not looking for top dollar but I do need the money. Several people have asked to buy it, but they never make an offer. It's always "How much do you want for it?" How do I answer that Q?

Thanks for suggestions.
Old 11-23-2021 | 03:44 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

They've really been going up in value lately, and it sounds like a real nice original car. I'd say don't take less than 15,000 and if you want more let a shop go through it and do the timing belts and then perhaps you will get in the 20's.
There have been some jaw dropping sales on bring a trailer lately, Check them out- https://bringatrailer.com/porsche/94...?q=944%20turbo. Lots of cars similar to your selling between 18-25K there. Low mileage well optioned cars are in the 30's and above! If the whole car got repainted that won't help. Sport seats, Fuchs, LSD and rare colors all make a nice difference in the price. The belts being changed, a good cleaning and pro grade pictures of everything will really help you sell it online. For those guys asking "how much" they're trying to see if you know how much it has appreciated.
Tell them 17.5 as it sits.. (if it's a normal guards red with basic options) Just one man's opinion.. Wow, my 5000th post!!

Welcome to Rennlist! Where are you located?
The following users liked this post:
joseph mitro (11-24-2021)
Old 11-23-2021 | 11:25 PM
ElRicardo
Pro

Wow- congrats on the 5000th post!

I think you are spot on on the value- 15k as she sits assuming no significant omissions in your description. Given you are not able to do the work, assume at least $1500 to get her back into running shape, and then maybe 18-20k. So if you can, a worthy investment.
The following users liked this post:
joseph mitro (11-24-2021)
Old 11-23-2021 | 11:31 PM
audi49
Rennlist Member

I’d estimate $15 to $20k. Given the accident.
Old 11-24-2021 | 02:41 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

agree with above assessments.
Old 11-25-2021 | 01:37 AM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Hi there.

A rising tide brings up all ships... but IMO $15K "as it sits" is unrealistic.

This car has been sitting for 4 years.
Not started.
For 4 years.

Let's assume that a tank of gas, and it fires up. That is a MASSIVE assumption in itself, but for the sake of argument...

Speaking as a multi-Porsche BaT buyer, your car needs the following to sell there without significant questions that will hurt the bottomline.

1. Belts, rollers, and a shop to do it at current prices. ~$2K.
2. Appropriate tires. ~$1K.
3. Misc items (towing to shop, hood/hatch shocks, fog light lens, all fluids, filters, plugs, wires, detailing, professional pictures) ~$3K

I see $6K in work for a reputable shop to recommission your car, and that is assuming that nothing goes wrong. You could easily be looking at over twice this when someone starts finding power steering leaks, suspension, brakes... the list goes on.

You state clearly that you "need the money." I'm assuming this means you can't afford to drop several thousand for the recommission, much less want to worry about a shop calling you with "hey... we found X, x, and x also wrong..."

Your best case scenario here is a driver with 100k and documented accident damage. On BaT this is a ~$18-$20K target price. Private sale it is $2-$3k less.

I would tell someone $11K as sits, and take $9K. Mark my words - if you start working on this car, it is going to get expensive.

I'm also going to be brutally honest here... selling a non-running car to a stranger is an absolute nightmare. People who can afford a driver won't want the unknowns of your car, and people who can't afford a driver won't have enough money to give you a fair price as-is. You are in a gray area for buyers.

More importantly, you don't want to be someone who gives it to a shop b/c they hand you a bill you can't afford.

Good luck.

Old 11-25-2021 | 02:58 AM
Not_Sure
Rennlist Member

Id go a little higher, Id say if you want a quick sale, depending on the actual condition, As in paint condition, color, dash cracks, options, all the details. 15k would be for a Very good condition car, average, 12K, Needs some elbow grease, 9k.
Youd have to show us some pics of the good the bad and the ugly.

And do you have any records? good records could make 1k+ of difference.
Old 11-25-2021 | 04:20 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Imo there is a lot of overoptimism on this thread. It’s a non-runner with previously recorded accident damage, unknown maintenance history and likely needing a bunch of things done. You could easily spend $5-10k on this car, clutch, foes, belts, wp and rollers. I bet all the rotors need swapping and the calipers rebuilding, possibly even the brake pistons. All the rubber, including bushes, brake/clutch master and slave plus all the wyit stuff. Plus not seeing the actual condition of the body repair, paint match, overall condition of exterior and interior, I’m saying it’s an $8-12k car, and when it’s running and fully sorted its $18-20k tops.

First things to do to get a fair price is to get it serviced and running. GL

Last edited by MAGK944; 11-25-2021 at 04:21 AM.
Old 11-25-2021 | 06:22 AM
DLarsen
Instructor

Maybe a fellow rennlister who lives in the area to this person could volunteer their time to review this car in person...........and maybe get it running to see what other issues need work. A more defined list of issues could be highlighted. Starson17 is bed ridden, 22 hrs a day, elderly.............how can we help each other? If he's willing to allow a 944 supporter come over to help him with the sale of his car, that to me would be what Porsche ownership is all about.
Old 11-25-2021 | 11:49 AM
spark1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DLarsen
Maybe a fellow rennlister who lives in the area to this person could volunteer their time to review this car in person...........and maybe get it running to see what other issues need work. A more defined list of issues could be highlighted. Starson17 is bed ridden, 22 hrs a day, elderly.............how can we help each other? If he's willing to allow a 944 supporter come over to help him with the sale of his car, that to me would be what Porsche ownership is all about.
Very well said! Starson17, what part of the world do you live in?
Old 11-25-2021 | 01:23 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Imo there is a lot of overoptimism on this thread. It’s a non-runner with previously recorded accident damage, unknown maintenance history and likely needing a bunch of things done. You could easily spend $5-10k on this car, clutch, foes, belts, wp and rollers. I bet all the rotors need swapping and the calipers rebuilding, possibly even the brake pistons. All the rubber, including bushes, brake/clutch master and slave plus all the wyit stuff. Plus not seeing the actual condition of the body repair, paint match, overall condition of exterior and interior, I’m saying it’s an $8-12k car, and when it’s running and fully sorted its $18-20k tops. First things to do to get a fair price is to get it serviced and running. GL
Spoken like somebody trying to steal a car from the guy! No offense, somebody had to put up a counter point, and all your points can be valid. I would say a one owner original car does NOT have a unknown maintenance history. It is NOT a non runner, it is a delicately stored car that sounds like it would fire right up if fueled up. If the accident was isolated to the door perhaps it never was claimed, and a replacement door the proper color would make it nearly a never happened (yea, I know the doors have numbers). He said the clutch is already done, so take that off your maybe list.
I quote the seller: "it ran great when I put it in the garage, drained the fuel and squirted oil in the cylinders for storage". "Interior is perfect." Put belts and tires (or not?) on it and drive it for a great 17K$ investment.

Honestly though we are just speculating, without pics, options, details everything we nit and pick is just guessing. Until our OP comes back and fills us in it is all what Ifs. What if it's black/black fuchs sport seats sunroof delete on LSD? It's $25k as it sits!!
That's for a prospective buyer to sort out!!!

I sent a PM to the OP, hoping he'd come back and fill in the gaps for us.
Old 11-25-2021 | 05:13 PM
Not_Sure
Rennlist Member

you definitely want to drain the tank, and flush with some Acetone, so you don't feed and Fuel varnish to the engine (ask me how I know that one!) BEFORE you try and start it. (leave the acetone in for 24 hr)

Quick Reply: What is my 1986 944T worth?