Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swepco or Redline for my street NA?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 11:54 AM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swepco or Redline for my street NA?

I did a search and read the resutls and got no clear direction except that most agree on these two (or mobil 1 to a lesser degree).

My car is a little notchy on the upshift from 1st to 2nd. Nothing unique there. I suspect the car may have the factory original fluid - Yikes

How much lube do I need, who do you suggest to order it from?
Old 04-15-2004, 12:18 PM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Dan: Referring to tranny oil I guess.
you need just a bit less than 2 liters GL-4 hypoid gear oil then.
And .. ahh... get the fill plug out first....
TakeCare
Old 04-15-2004, 03:01 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Hans, Yeas, referring to trans oil, but not sure to go with Redline or with Swepco and Parago sells both. Making matters a little less clear, their description has GL-5 for both LSD and non-LSD. The GL-4 description does say for non-LSD only.

Still don't know whether to buy the Swepco or the Redline.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:02 PM
jim944s2
Racer

I don't think you can go wrong w/ either Redline or Swepco, although I think Redline is much more readily available. I've heard that you should stay away from some of the other brand synthetics, as they're so slippery that the synchros have a hard time engaging and wear out prematurely. I'm a bit of a cynic at the moment, & I'm using 76's conventional gear lube. The 'better' stuff just isn't that expensive, so it's probably worth using it.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:06 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Swepco is okay for LSD also - may require FM (friction modifier - slippery stuff) to tune the lockup.

Redline MT90 would be my pick. Pick up three quarts, then fill according to the tech article we have - 6-8mm below hole. MT90 can be used in LSD trannies but may again require additional FM to tune the lockup.

Good Luck!
Old 04-15-2004, 03:32 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

I'm not an expert, but Swepco did smooth out my shifts alot more than the synthetic did, I'm sure either Swepco or Redline would be fine for the street. There was a poll taken a few months back and they were pretty much tied.

J
Old 04-15-2004, 03:52 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, I read the poll.

Skip, Thanks. I'll order the Redline MT90 per your suggestion. My car is a non-LSD.
Having trouble opening your Tech Articale but I'll keep trying!
Old 04-15-2004, 04:52 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just ordered some for my LSD-equipped buggy from Paragon--but damned if I can remember which. It is sitting in my living room with the shiny new plug removal socket. Hmm, now I am wondering.

PS--Skip, make those blue reservoir/clutch hoses an inch longer
Old 04-15-2004, 05:19 PM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have gone with the MT-90 in my NA for over 70k...just changed it out for fresh lube recently. I feel that it definitely helps the notchiness problem especially in colder temps. Summit Racing is having a sale on all Redline products...I paid $6.45/qt. Hate to bragain agaist Paragon....they have always had the best cust. service and competitive prices. Hope this helps!
Old 04-15-2004, 06:40 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Charlie, I totally agree with you about Paragon. Skip advises it - I do it, end of story.

I just put Paragon's 8mm wires, cap and rotor on and my car because he said so (along with a new FR Wilk chip :>) and it is running like a champ. The difference is fantastic, I've got renewed interest in my little NA.

For that reason, I'll pay a little extra and stay with Paragon. If Skip weren't monitoring this board where would we all be? His advice is easily worth the minor diff in the prices between Paragon and Summit. Not to mention his odd ball sense of humor - kidding Skip....sort of!
Old 04-15-2004, 06:58 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Okay, just ordered it.....I'm waiting!

Still having trouble accessing the Paragon Tech article. I assume this is a DIY job if there ever was one? Correct? Any other tips than pullthe fill plugs before draing the fluid? Is it all that common that they won't come out?
Old 04-15-2004, 07:27 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Dan, the tech article moved to the new site already - here it is: http://www.tech-session.com/kb/index...x_v2&id=54&c=4

Sorry for the dead links - all will be well soon when we switch websites.

It is NOT very common that the plugs will not come out. Even if they are stubborn, heat and some other tricks are available to persuade them.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:36 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by Eric
I just ordered some for my LSD-equipped buggy from Paragon--but damned if I can remember which. It is sitting in my living room with the shiny new plug removal socket. Hmm, now I am wondering.

PS--Skip, make those blue reservoir/clutch hoses an inch longer
Uh-oh - we sell by the foot (12") - that's just over 1" more than you need. Please measure yours - if not 12", contact me. If 12", check the routing or take a picture and send to me.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:42 PM
Minus000
Instructor

Redline made a huge improvement for cold morning shifts and general smoothness of shifting during moderate acceleration. The change was noticable enough when I replaced the tranny oil to Redline MTL-90 that im sold on continuing to use it in my future cars. I have no experience with Swepco though but I was thoughly suprised with Redlines results.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:03 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

I put the Swepco in during the winter and the cold weather notchy shifting seems to have gottten a little worse.

Quick Reply: Swepco or Redline for my street NA?