Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swepco or Redline for my street NA?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 08:05 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have swepco, works like a dream!

what happens if you fill too much?

-Mike-
Old 04-15-2004, 08:09 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it comes out

I would imagine it may create too much pressure or that the fluid may be whipped similar to having too much oil.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:17 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

okay, years ago when i changed it, i filled it to below the fill hole (obviously), but a couple leaks have developed. i think the right seal where the cv was leaking since i got it, but the front seal appears to be leaking, as there seems to be fluid coming from between the tranny bellhousing and torque tube mating area. there is always a drop on the transmission, but hardly ever makes it to the driveway. every time i have checked the fluid it was at the hole. i'm not looking forward to replacing these seals... tranny removal is not my forte...

-Mike-
Old 04-15-2004, 08:50 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

See what I mean about Skip?!

Skip, thanks for the link. Works like a charm. Maybe you can relate?, I am puttinmg WAAAAY too much money into my NA. But I am loving the results. She runs literally better than new as far as I can tell. As soon as I make the "big buy" - Koni Yellows all around - she'll be done........not!
Old 04-16-2004, 06:43 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Dan, what do you think of the FR Wilk chip? I have wanted one for quite some time, but on the 84's it is a bit more inconvenient. I could always swap out for a 86' AFM and DME though. You will be happy with the Redline!
Old 04-16-2004, 10:11 AM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Skip
Uh-oh - we sell by the foot (12") - that's just over 1" more than you need. Please measure yours - if not 12", contact me. If 12", check the routing or take a picture and send to me.
Skip,

I think mine may have been cut a bit short. It is already on, but I barely had enough to get a full seat for the hose clamp on the cylinder end. I think I should be alright--tomorrow I am filling and bleeding if I get a leak, I may contact you for a longer hose. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:41 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Shouldn't be too short if it's 12", or even 11". I see a few of them not routed correctly which makes them appear too short. Basically, you take the most direct path - weaving in and out of the hard lines and immovable stuff. It's very important to get the hose always angling down so you don't trap air in it (usually not a problem if using a Power Bleeder.) Before you bleed, see if you can find a more direct path, or, measure it.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:58 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Charlie,
I am defintely pleased with the chip. I had some confusion installing it because it comes with NO instructions and at least on my later car came with a little "jumper" to be installed where the altitude sensor up under the right side of the dash was installed into a part of the stock harness. Whe I installed it without doing this, I thought, "Doesn't do much". When I finally exchanged enough email with Floyd Wilk to get it straight, it made a big difference, at least to me. The car revs more easily, there is a DEFINITE more raspy tone to the exhaust above 4000 RPM. It passes the "butt dyno" test wih flying colors.

Having said all this, don't expect too much. It doesn't make our cars into 951's...Doh! But our cars are nice handling little cars with a lot to offer and Wilk's chip is worth the money, at least I think so.

P.S. to Charlie, Look up Carl Nall's '84 NA. It is sweet. The measure of what our cars, nicely done can look like. His is the reason I bought the FR Wilk chip and also what got me into the "drunken sailor" mode of spending money on my car!
Old 04-17-2004, 05:41 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Thanks Dan for the reply! I have seen pics of Carls 944 and it is certainly a beaut! We have posted on several of the Gemini Gray Met threads in the past together. I am in the process of repainting a set of early offset turbo phonedials for the 84' now. I received them when I bought the 83' Callaway...which is where most of my $$ has been going to get it up to my standards. But I make sure not to deprive my little NA of any attention. It has actually been getting the majority of it lately in time for Hershey...better not rain!!

Take Care Man!
Old 04-19-2004, 12:30 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Charlie,
I didn't go back and re-read this thread through, so I maybe repeating myself, but I am having some late offset Turbo Phone Dials full polished right now. They may be done this week. If I can ever figure out how to post a picture, I will try to post Befores and Afters. I sure wish they were the early offset though as it appears the earlies have that deeper look than the lates. Unfortunately, earlies won't fit on my car.

I repainted my own 15" PD's last year and they came out great. I may be selling them shortly. Still trying to figure out what to ask for them? Good luck on your refinishing job. Take your time and they come out great.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:01 PM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Hey Dan, what paint did you use for your 15" PD's? I am using the Wurth OEM paint and clear and I like the paint, but the nozzles keep clogging on the silver met paint!! Luckily being lacquer the spits and spatter marks blend in well. I am going to clear them now. I would really like to see pic of the polished PD's when you are able. Take Care!!
Old 04-19-2004, 08:34 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Charlie,
I used Rustoleum. They sell a paint that is a very fine metal flake silver that is perfect. I forget the exact name but still have some and can post if you/anyone wants to know.

When I first painted them I thought, "Oh oh, too flaky, too bling". But the clear blunted the metal flake ever so slightly and made them perfect. I had no problem with clogging the nozzle.

I just didn't want to spend $15 a can! Geez, that is high. Honestly I would have preferred to use Wurth's as it is original. But I figured the Rustoleum was a cheap bet and if it didn't come out good I could always sand it off after one wheel.

Yeah, I'll try to post before and after pictures of the 16" PD's vs. my refinished 15's. I've just got to get some good "befores" soon.

Quick Reply: Swepco or Redline for my street NA?