Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Red Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 03:52 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay- thanks guy's, I understand what you're saying- I'd still like to find out what the dif is when mounting the shocks, like the bilstein AK1110/1111's(?)- for some reason, they are not offered for front of M030 cars- I also wonder what the weight dif is on the spindles & steering nuckles- IF it is worth noting at all- I've never picked any of these parts up, so, have no way to even ballpark it...
Old 04-14-2004, 04:07 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The AK's are not offered specifically for the M030 cars only because of the product manufacturer listings. Since the M030 units are of a different type (height adjustable) they don't carry the same suitable replacement cross references. They will fit. Any strut from any 86-91 951, 87-89 944/944S and all 944S2/968 are interchangeable. Simple bolt-on, no mods required. Spring rates and sizes vary, but whole untis are completely plug-n-play.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:12 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input Skip- wish I'd known before, but... I'm actually starting to lean towards the Koni's w/in the next few months- rebuilding mine- I'm not really happy w/teh LEdas at this point, unfortunately- I thought I was saving $$$ & getting similar quality, but, it doesn't feel like- oh well... that's BY FAR the most annoying area of this car IMO- suspension- I'll keep chipping away... I just need to find a few 951's w/in a couple THOUSAND miles that have modified susps to drive, so I can see how they feel... I'm never buying another expensive performance part for this car again w/out actually riding in one similarly equipped- I don't care WHAT I have to do to get it done either... it's really become frustrating... Oh well, at least I don't state inspections to deal with- YET....
Old 04-14-2004, 04:37 PM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Robby
Thanks for the input Skip- wish I'd known before, but... I'm actually starting to lean towards the Koni's w/in the next few months- rebuilding mine- I'm not really happy w/teh LEdas at this point, unfortunately- I thought I was saving $$$ & getting similar quality, but, it doesn't feel like- oh well... that's BY FAR the most annoying area of this car IMO- suspension- I'll keep chipping away... I just need to find a few 951's w/in a couple THOUSAND miles that have modified susps to drive, so I can see how they feel... I'm never buying another expensive performance part for this car again w/out actually riding in one similarly equipped- I don't care WHAT I have to do to get it done either... it's really become frustrating... Oh well, at least I don't state inspections to deal with- YET....
Robby, what's wrong with the Ledas? I was planning on ordering a set to replace my Koni's. Are they the height/damping adjustable ones?

As for brakes, the normal 924/944/951/968 use axial mounted calipers while the 928S4 and M030 use radial mounted units.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:21 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by marksportcts
Robby, what's wrong with the Ledas? I was planning on ordering a set to replace my Koni's. Are they the height/damping adjustable ones?

Mine are the non-adjustable ones- they ARE height adj though- the prob- well, I wasa looking for a high pressure, monotube, gas shock, for overall comfort on the street- the Bilstein is the only one that fits this category that I'm aware of- partly based on Danno's street recommendations, as well *** Cervelli's- I didn't b/c no one could tell me if they would definately fit the front of a Turbo S or not & I posted a BUNCH of times on the subject. The LEdas are LOW perssure, TWIN tube, OIL shocks- even the adjustable ones are not true gas shocks- long story, but, I & several other's have been researching this *** of lately. I'll be glad to sell you mine- I'd make a really good deal on them- they just don't feel ANY better than Koni's- Koni's are high pressure gas- they ARE Twin tube, but, I'm not sure that will make a HUGE difference. it all just adds up- I'm just not happy w/the damping characteristics of the Ledas- they seem to be too rough for the 225lb springs I'm using when hitting bumps- i'm hard to please- I just want my car to handle & feel like a mildy modded E36M3- will NEVER happen. so I'm left to deal w/what I have & want what I will probably never have...

My recomendation- DON'T EVEN THINK about buying ANY shocks except 100% factory replacement UNLESS you have actually ridden in (or driven) a 944 w/what you are considering- just DON'T do it...
Old 04-14-2004, 05:22 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark- list your car in your sig- what do you have? IF a Turbo S, & you aren't able to find cars to drive w/what you're considering, then, do yourself a favor & simply send your koni's to Skip & Jason & get them DBL adj & be done w/it- will save you from having to re-ground the ABS AND from finding another way to mount brake ducts, etc.... It ALL adds up...
Old 04-14-2004, 05:52 PM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

hmmm...let me think of what I have...1986 non-turbo for starters with turbo brakes....i'll list the rest when I figure it out soon.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:06 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I see- if you've changed susp components already, then, I guess it all depends on what you have- in any case, you don't already have the adj koni's of the Turbo S- not sure how big a deal it would be to retrofit some- I'm guessing koni yellows would be your simplest choice, but, not sure- IF the bilstein AK1110/1111's are listed for your car, then, they would fit no prob- I'd go that route, but, that's just me- of course, I'm not sure now, since I've never actually ridden on them in a 944- I've now adamantly refused to EVER buy something like that w/out checking it out firsthand, beforehand... we'll see- in any case, you have lot's of options, but, only two that I would would personally go with- Bilsteins or koni's... that's just me thogh... OF course, some of the high dollar options might be better, but, they are so far out of my budget, I never even consider them...
Old 04-14-2004, 06:14 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Robby,

If you lived closer, I'd be happy to let you drive mine. It may help............

Jeremy
Old 04-14-2004, 09:18 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Tifo-

At this point, anywhere in Ohio is one of the closer offers I have... Thanks... What suspension are you running anyway?

robby

Quick Reply: Big Red Brakes