Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4" oval tip???

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 10:49 PM
The Swede
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4" oval tip???

First off, I really wish i could get a SFR exhaust, unfortunatly i can not afford one, so i am having my muffler shop build a custom 3" one with a Borla XR1 muffler. I can not seem to find an oval 4" tip anywhere. do you guys know where i can get one? also how loud do you think this setup will be?
Old 04-12-2004, 10:56 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dude, modding that 57K car already?
Old 04-12-2004, 11:04 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

It's never too late to mod, thank god you got it before it aged untouched!

Search for IceShark's post on his exhaust tip, he found a nice one and provided all the info on where to get it.

Sam
Old 04-12-2004, 11:19 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I respectfully disagree. An '86 in as nice condition as the car this fellow just bought is reflective of a significant preservation effort. Stock condition low mileage cars should not be modified, IMHO. They're a legacy to pass on.

FWIW, the stock exhaust tip is no longer available in black anodized finish, but the standard chrome tip is for around $30.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:40 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't want a chrome plated, mild steel tip if you want it to last for long.

The tip I found was the Ractive product line sold by Toucan Industries, product #T-820. It is a polished 304 stainless tip, 4.75 x 3.5 inch true oval ( not just a rounded rectangle), inlet is 2.5" pipe so matches the stock system, has a rolled exit edge rather than just sawing the tube off like SFR, Lindsey, or others, has a back cut angle so the bottom edge doesn't jut out and look strange as well as catch all the rain and direct it into the muffler to sit and corrode things. Looks pretty nice. If you don't want polished SS you could always take this and spray paint it black or black chrome it. In any event it won't rust out like the OEM mild steel one.

It is about $35 USD at retail in the USA.

If you put on a new tip make sure you look at it from all angles before you weld it all the way around. So get a step ladder at the shop to look at the straight on back assed view and to look from the top down to see how straight it is exiting. It is about impossible to get the proper view when the car is 6 feet up on the rack and you are standing on the ground. I screwed up on the latter part and had to take the Sawsall to the pipe by the weld off the muffler, straighten things out and reweld. A waste of time that could have been avoided with two extra minutes of looking at things.

But I'm quite happy with the final result.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:44 AM
Red 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I could see the look on people's faces in the shop when you bring a step latter in with you to check on your exhaust tip, IceShark
Old 04-13-2004, 07:36 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"But I'm quite happy with the final result."

Any pictures?
Old 04-13-2004, 11:47 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, Rennlister zehend posted some of his tip here:

http://forums.rennlist.com/

I don't know if that link is going to work as I forgot how to link pages off this dumb Rennlist. Do a search under tailpipe tip and IceShark and you will see the thread.

zehend's tip is the same as mine though a little dirty so it doesn't look exactly the same in the picture as in real life.

If you do this don't try and cut off the old pipe coming out of the OEM muffler itself with a normal sawsall metal blade. You will ruin the blade in about 5 seconds as that muffler is made out of something pretty darn hard. Make the cut in the extension tube that connects the muffler to the old tip.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:52 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

For those that want direct:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t=tailpipe+tip

Maybe I'll smack one of these suckers on my Quest and 944...

Quick Reply: 4" oval tip???