Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2021, 12:23 AM
Acantor
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Mufflers?

I have an early 944 with aftermarket headers and a straight pipe all the way back to a muffler. It sounds pretty awful at idle, so I was wondering what is the best-sounding muffler for these cars. I just want it to sound less like a lawn motor, and more like the cool car it is. I have created a link to what it sounds like currently.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UkAMmwn7tckcz6pZ6
Old 09-26-2021, 12:24 AM
Acantor
Pro

also if anyone knows why my gas light is on please let me know
Old 09-26-2021, 09:26 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 319 Posts

I feel your pain. When I was in college, my dad reverted to his hooligan instincts and bought a Chevy Vega with glasspacks, i.e. a just barely legal muffler. I used to cringe every time he started it up. Due to the nature of 4 cylinder engines, getting a pleasing exhuast note is more difficult than say for a V8. It sounds like you are also missing the cats, which provide some sound attenuation in their own right. Of course, opinions on what is an acceptable exhaust note will vary. I might suggest you purchase whatever stock muffler that Rock Auto sells and try that as a cheap alternative.
Old 09-26-2021, 01:33 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Acantor
I have an early 944 with aftermarket headers and a straight pipe all the way back to a muffler. It sounds pretty awful at idle, so I was wondering what is the best-sounding muffler for these cars. I just want it to sound less like a lawn motor, and more like the cool car it is. I have created a link to what it sounds like currently.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UkAMmwn7tckcz6pZ6
Borla is a good choice. Have it my race car, made it street legal in Seattle for the former owner. Harvey can offer addition comments on noise level
Old 09-26-2021, 02:06 PM
Acantor
Pro

Originally Posted by harveyf
I feel your pain. When I was in college, my dad reverted to his hooligan instincts and bought a Chevy Vega with glasspacks, i.e. a just barely legal muffler. I used to cringe every time he started it up. Due to the nature of 4 cylinder engines, getting a pleasing exhuast note is more difficult than say for a V8. It sounds like you are also missing the cats, which provide some sound attenuation in their own right. Of course, opinions on what is an acceptable exhaust note will vary. I might suggest you purchase whatever stock muffler that Rock Auto sells and try that as a cheap alternative.
would a resonator give me a different note?
Old 09-27-2021, 09:57 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 319 Posts

Acantor, If you use the Search feature, and go to Advanced Search, you will find a bunch of prior threads specific to the 944 about what people have tried and liked. But at the end of the day, you and I and Tom and your best friend can all be listening to the same car and come away with different perceptions. An acceptable exhaust note is a very personal decision. I might suggest you hang out at your local Cars and Coffee, get there early,,and see if something pulls in that appeals to you. Of course, you have to limit yourself to 4 cylinder cars. And of course there are packaging considerations, i.e. it's got to fit in your 944. Not all will. Most of the major manufacturers have pretty good websites with useful info. Remember one thing. What sounds really great for a 30 minute trip can possibly drive you crazy on an all day drive. Try and avoid "drone".
Old 09-27-2021, 10:33 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 128 Posts

Is the factory cat still in the system? If you are catless, then a resonator might be a good choice, but not necessary. The Borlas are good. Just get the stainless model to compete with the Colorado salt in the winter. Check the cat for flow, if you still have one, when you have the system opened up...sometimes they fail internally...May require internal "modification" to get the flow back to normal..If you have to replace it, don't throw it away..most cats are quite valuable at the scrap yard, and are recyclable..Get some money for it if you have a "dead" cat. HTHsome.
Old 09-27-2021, 03:49 PM
Acantor
Pro

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
Is the factory cat still in the system? If you are catless, then a resonator might be a good choice, but not necessary. The Borlas are good. Just get the stainless model to compete with the Colorado salt in the winter. Check the cat for flow, if you still have one, when you have the system opened up...sometimes they fail internally...May require internal "modification" to get the flow back to normal..If you have to replace it, don't throw it away..most cats are quite valuable at the scrap yard, and are recyclable..Get some money for it if you have a "dead" cat. HTHsome.
No cats just a pipe all the way back from the headers

Quick Reply: Mufflers?