Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Twin Turbo - 30lbs of boost - 1900 HP - 7sec!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 02:10 AM
Red 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm .. I know I have another that I COMPLETELY don't understand. Those are just a little confusing.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:20 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

that is just a twin reg setup.......the one feeding into the other is still considered a sequential setup. wasnt that the way the supras were? and dont the tt 911s use sequential but on seperate banks?
Old 04-13-2004, 03:46 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 481 Posts

I can still go around a corner quicker....
Old 04-13-2004, 03:51 AM
Apexx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by kennycoulter
that is just a twin reg setup.......the one feeding into the other is still considered a sequential setup. wasnt that the way the supras were? and dont the tt 911s use sequential but on seperate banks?
Sequentials do not feed each other they do usually feed a common intake. Like this
Attached Images  
Old 04-13-2004, 04:20 AM
red9four4
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think all the big hp guys use superchargers... top fuel dragsters for example
Old 04-13-2004, 04:21 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

That setup is from a 3kGT VR4 isn't it Apexx?

From what I was taught that isn't a sequential because the turbo's are feeding the intake. I was taught (though maybe incorrectly) that a sequential setup only meant that the exhaust gases went into one turbo whose compressor drove the second turbo. Then the resultant charge was driven into the intake (Kinda like the one shown last page).

If "sequential" only means they run to the same intake, please show me a car that has separate intakes (except the Ferrari's). Would that not mean that 99% of the turbo systems out there would be considered "sequential"??
Old 04-13-2004, 04:23 AM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

i think a lot of the high powered single turbo setups that some are talking about (like 4 digit hp'd single turbo converted supra tts) are not setup for drag racing at all. they are more dyno queen setups.

the car isn't my cup of tea either but its still a very impressive!

"wow.......is it a 5.0 based or 460? that is nuts." cant tell but look at those F'n hotsides!
Old 04-13-2004, 04:31 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Originally posted by red9four4
i think all the big hp guys use superchargers... top fuel dragsters for example
Not very efficient... Why rob power to make power?

Turbo's are much better for engine efficiency. All that exhaust energy would be wasted otherwise... I'm not discounting what you said... but 1900 is big hp if you ask me.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:33 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Gotta love this view! Pretty f'n intimidating!
Old 04-13-2004, 04:50 AM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by cpt_koolbeenz
Not very efficient... Why rob power to make power?
i disagree (but i dont really know so take it w/ a grain of salt ) in this case atleast. w/ the supercharger your would be under boost immediately where w/ the turbos you would have to wait for a spool up. the only thing i have backing this statement is that all big guns in drag racing (i'm talking the large company sponsored, very high budget, drag rail teams) are running massive superchargers. i think the main thing they are worried about is getting as much power to the ground as FAST as possible. adding turbos to the exhaust is only a restriction to them.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:55 AM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

thats an air/water IC ?

wait a minute...hold the phone...did i read this correctly "Aluminum Rods"?!?!
Old 04-13-2004, 05:19 AM
Apexx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by FSAEracer03
That setup is from a 3kGT VR4 isn't it Apexx?

From what I was taught that isn't a sequential because the turbo's are feeding the intake. I was taught (though maybe incorrectly) that a sequential setup only meant that the exhaust gases went into one turbo whose compressor drove the second turbo. Then the resultant charge was driven into the intake (Kinda like the one shown last page).

If "sequential" only means they run to the same intake, please show me a car that has separate intakes (except the Ferrari's). Would that not mean that 99% of the turbo systems out there would be considered "sequential"??
Sorry I was not very clear. I meant that one turbo does not feed into the other both feed the intake plenum on a sequential system. The thing that keeps a sequential from being just a standard twin system is the staggered sizes of the turbos. The smaller turbo comes on early low in the rev range feeding the intake directly when the rpms rise this increases flow beyond the point of the small turbos capabilities at that point there is sufficient exhaust flow to have the larger turbo spooled up to the point of making boost. This is a sequence i.e. one following the other. But in a compound system the smaller turbo feeds the compressed charge into the compressor side of the next larger turbo and then in to the intake. This called compounding because you are taking a compressed air charge and compressing it again.
Trust me I am by no means saying that I know turbo charging forwards and back but after reading Corky Bells book and working for Bob Norwood for four years and going to Speed Week at the salt flats for three of those years. I have seen and worked on a lot of different turbo systems. There are a lot of diesel trucks running compound turbo systems at the Bonneville Salt Flats time trials. You want to talk about a maze of pluming some of these trucks that have large displacements are running triple turbo compound systems to get the high air volume and boost in the 80 to 100psi range. Oh as late as it is I may have screwed up a point or two just point it out.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:19 AM
scular
Racer

But wait, you guys forgot about variable pitch turbines. These are especially slick, as they give maximum boost at all rpms. I have heard them on a couple of diesel work trucks.

Quick Reply: OT: Twin Turbo - 30lbs of boost - 1900 HP - 7sec!