Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat Replacement - Lessons Learned

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 08:42 AM
Joe Jackson
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those push on retainers sucks for a high load application as you found out. I'm not sure where that clip started out but it's also possible that you overextended the tool (in terms of how it was designed, maybe you needed to though) and that's why the clips are coming off. Either way, a true snap ring (you'll need another pair of snap ring pliers to install it) would hold much better. But you'd need a groove turned into the shaft for it. Know anyone with a lathe?

Originally posted by 89magic98
Here's the new tool - similar in design (does not come with the correct tip). The clip on this one held long enough - but it is also failing.

Any ideas to improve the tool (perhaps a replacement clip)?
Old 04-13-2004, 11:33 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally posted by Joe Jackson
Those push on retainers sucks for a high load application as you found out. I'm not sure where that clip started out but it's also possible that you overextended the tool (in terms of how it was designed, maybe you needed to though) and that's why the clips are coming off. Either way, a true snap ring (you'll need another pair of snap ring pliers to install it) would hold much better. But you'd need a groove turned into the shaft for it. Know anyone with a lathe?
Joe,

You're exactly right, the tool is being used for something it wasn't meant for. It is very strong when expanding an outside snap ring (the intended application), where there is no force against that push-on clip.

In the case of the Porsche, the push-on clip has to take a pretty heavy load. I was lucky the second tool did not break on me - but it might if I ever needed to use it again.

But I like this tool, and I would like to find a way to modify it to make it stronger than it is.

Do they make snap rings that small? Where can you get a snap ring that small? For reference, the shaft is .41cm in diameter. There is a small groove already in the shaft (I can't measure its diameter without taking the retaining clip off). The groove may not be wide enough for a snap ring.

I don't know anyone with a lathe. But I'm not sure I need one.

Thanks for the idea!

Kevin
Old 04-13-2004, 11:42 AM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can find snap rings that small. I would put a flat washer on there then the a snap ring. Also safety-wire the thing shut once you get it on.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:45 AM
RMills944
Drifting

I used snap-on snap ring plyers and a 90degree tip on them. It took me about 2 hours to get the ring out, 5 min. to get it in again. I reused the original gasket on mine.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:09 PM
Joe Jackson
Pro

I did not realize there was a groove there already. www.rotorclip.com has an extensive selection of snap rings and other clips. When I did the CV joints on my dad's 944, I wanted to replace the circlips with snap rings for easier removal. They sampled me 100 of them no charge. Chances are, if you only need one clip, they'll send it to you for free too. They have all the specs for the shaft diameter and groove diameter and width on the site so you can figure out if you'll need to modify the tool at all.

Originally posted by 89magic98
Joe,

You're exactly right, the tool is being used for something it wasn't meant for. It is very strong when expanding an outside snap ring (the intended application), where there is no force against that push-on clip.

In the case of the Porsche, the push-on clip has to take a pretty heavy load. I was lucky the second tool did not break on me - but it might if I ever needed to use it again.

But I like this tool, and I would like to find a way to modify it to make it stronger than it is.

Do they make snap rings that small? Where can you get a snap ring that small? For reference, the shaft is .41cm in diameter. There is a small groove already in the shaft (I can't measure its diameter without taking the retaining clip off). The groove may not be wide enough for a snap ring.

I don't know anyone with a lathe. But I'm not sure I need one.

Thanks for the idea!

Kevin
Old 04-13-2004, 01:14 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, this thread ran on without me!
Look back up a bit to the picture of the pliers from princess auto!
They are most similar in looks to c, but they match the description of d.
I recall seeing all the others on the shelf, but I do not see the ones I bought listed there.
I was not able to get the picture up the other night. I will be home again in the not-too-distant future, and will pull the picture then.

They were just the perfect length...

The team mechanix ones were absolute crap in my opinion. Although, usually the tips break off, instead of the entire arm shearing off at the joint. It just tore apart. I've never seen steel do that.
Cheap-o!!
Old 04-13-2004, 01:50 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally posted by Zero10
Wow, this thread ran on without me!
Look back up a bit to the picture of the pliers from princess auto!
They are most similar in looks to c, but they match the description of d.
I recall seeing all the others on the shelf, but I do not see the ones I bought listed there.
I was not able to get the picture up the other night. I will be home again in the not-too-distant future, and will pull the picture then.

They were just the perfect length...

The team mechanix ones were absolute crap in my opinion. Although, usually the tips break off, instead of the entire arm shearing off at the joint. It just tore apart. I've never seen steel do that.
Cheap-o!!
I broke two 90 degree picks playing around with the snap ring. And usually you have to buy an assortment, so you need to get a whole set to get another pick.

The Craftsman universal snap-ring pliers I had were a little too big (handles to long) for the working area. They kept hitting the power steering line and inside of the fender.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:47 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Instead of a snap ring, could a hole be drilled through the shaft for a cotter pin or something similar?

Quick Reply: Thermostat Replacement - Lessons Learned