Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 07:21 PM
mbonner
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat

Folks: I cannot seem to be able to shut off the heat on my 1983 N/A 944.
Any suggestions most welcome.
Mike
Old 04-10-2004, 07:48 PM
Mike951
Drifting

Heater clip under drivers side of dashboard may be broken, causing heat to constantly trickle out.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:36 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

The early models have a different heat system than the late models, so don't be confused by the multitude of posts on the topic.

I just replaced my '83 NA heater control valve today. The panel control slider is attached to a cable that runs through the firewall to the heater control valve that is between the firewall and the back of the engine. It's really tough to even see it, let alone get access to it to replace. Look from the left side of the engine for a small rubber hosethat attaches to a metal pipe. the heater control vavle is attahed to the other end of the hose. Or from the right side look for the heater hoses going through the firewall. The upper heater hose is attached to the bottom of the heater control vavle. The cable is clamped to the side of the valve with a small clip and terminates on the valve arm.

I would suspect that the cable is loose at either the valve or the dash control lever. Or your valve may have failed. You need to locate the valve and have someone operate the dash contol and then determine if the cable is operating the valve.

I had this same problem recently. Could not get heat or could not cut it off. I found the problem in a most unfortunate way. The small "L" shaped hose from the top of the vavle to the pipe finally broke. I suspect it was twisting when I tried to operate the valve. When the hose failed, it dumped water onto the back of the engine dirctly into the top inspection hole on the clutch cover that you use to determine TDC. I guess I lost about 1/2 gallon of coolant in there. I replaced the hose the same day, but the damage was done. The car started shifting hard. Apparently the coolant washes the grease out of the pilot bearing and the drive shaft turns even though the clutch is released. So the car is up on stands, half way through a new clutch.

Take care of the problem as soon as possible. Maybe you can prevent the damage I had. If you've never replaced those hose, it's time to do it. Some people manage to relocate the heater contol vavle on late models, but no one has told me that they have relocated the vavle on an early model. Extending the cable is the problem.

Good Luck.
Steve
Old 04-11-2004, 11:53 PM
mbonner
Racer

Steve, many thanks for the advice and warning, lots to learn on the new addition to the family, sure is a great source of collected wisdom here, I'm grateful....
Mike
Old 04-12-2004, 12:04 AM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Hope I wasn't too verbose.

This is a great source of information. I've had lots of great help from people here especially diagnosising problems and tips on how to do repairs and find other resources.

Did you just get this car?

Quick Reply: Heat