Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some 07k swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 04:40 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 510 Posts
Default Some 07k swap questions

Hi there all-

What with the order availability now available again for the 07k swap kits, I'd like to ask those of you that are involved in the conversion some questions that I haven't seen answered elsewhere. I still really want to go this route with my beater 968 but I'm getting a little hung up on a couple of points.

1) How difficult is it to plumb the radiator to the engine? As far as I can tell the stock radiator is used, but I haven't found anything about the hoses in either what I've read or the YouTube videos I've watched.
2) What do you do about the exhaust? Are the stock VW headers used? Is there a standardized solution for connecting them to the Porsche exhaust bits?

There are probably other things that I'm forgetting right now, but those are what's on my mind currently and I'd like to know what the path forward looks like before I commit to buying the package. Since it might come up, I plan to leave it an N/A engine; no turbo is planned.

Thanks
Old 08-19-2021, 08:22 PM
Sixline
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

It isn't that difficult to plumb the 944 radiator. Here is the post about coolant lines: https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...l#post16688235 If you scroll down, @senior_squishy posted some additional info.

I believe the stock exhaust manifold will fit but has to be modified as the outlet faces the wrong direction. You will have to come up with your own solution to adapt the 944 exhaust. You could use the SPA turbo manifold and block the wastegate port but if you have no turbo plans it would be easier and cheaper to just modify the stock one.

There is lots of information in the main 07K thread but it has gotten so large that searching through it is kind of a pain. I know Boost Brothers were working on a full write up but I am not sure what happened with that. I have considered starting a wiki website or something to consolidate all the information.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:43 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 510 Posts

@Sixline : Awesome information, thank you!

I've tried to follow everything in the main 07k thread but like you said, there's a lot going on there and it's hard to parse everything that has gone on. I was just looking at those SPA exhaust manifolds and they look great. I wouldn't mind using one of those, though they're significantly more expensive than the stock VW piece. There look to be a couple of different versions around, however, for the engine (at least according to eBay, so take that for what it's worth) and maybe one of those is pretty close to usable.

I'll check out the info from Senor Squishy, thanks for the heads up.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Some 07k swap questions