Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advanced Auto Parts - makes me sad...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004 | 08:48 AM
aach
Advanced

Default Advanced Auto Parts - makes me sad...

Either don't buy from Advanced Auto Parts, or make sure you keep the receipt. A few weeks ago, I bought a battery for my 944, because my battery was dead one day, and none of the lights were on, and it was an old battery, so why not change it out? Anyhow, the battery worked for a week or so after they sold it to me. Then, Monday after work my battery was dead, no lights were on, or anything. I jumped it, ran it home, and let it sit for about 6 hours, started it up, and it seemed fine. The next day, Tuesday, after work the battery was dead again, so I had to jump it. This time, I said to my self, Alternator is bad, and my co-workers thought so too, so I took it to get looked at. However I was told my alternator was good. I had an auto electric place look at my car, because I was also told I might have a drain in power somewhere.

The auto electric place said my battery is not passing their load tests, and I should exchange the battery where I got it, or buy a new one from them. I took it back into Advanced Auto, and this is what got me, I explained my story, and they said we could exchange the battery. Well, I barely keep receipts when I know somthing is in good shape, so I didn't have one, they said fine, whats your name, phone number, ect.. I gave them all my info, and they couldn't find me at all in their systems. I told them the day I bought the battery, and on that day they found only one person who bought a battery, name was Larry somthing.. Oh, and get this, they also found out that they sold me the wrong battery! I had asked them to look up the battery sold, as he was doing it, he found the correct battery type for my car, but wouldn't let me exchange it because there was no proof that I bought the battery. When he asked if I knew who sold me the battery, I was accused of being racist because I said I didn't know the guy's name, but he was black. I'm not a racist. I wanted him (the mananger) to check the schedule for who was working that day, but all he did was walk away.
I am currently trying to call corporate about this issue. Also, my bank statement shows a $52 charge at AdvancedAuto Parts.. I'm just pissed, that first I got sold the wrong battery, I mean, am I susposed to know the battery types? I guess I could have found out, but that is what they are for, to give me the right battery...
Then they must have not entered my name into the computer, or instead sold it under Larry's name, and I'm screwed over..
Old 04-08-2004 | 09:30 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

I don't understand why describing someone as "black" would be racist. If everyone who worked there was black, OK, it's not useful information. But it's no different than saying that someone was tall/short had a beard, was bald, etc.

You actually can do a lot of searching on the internet for exactly the "group number" of the battery you need. I always knew exactly what I wanted when I went into the auto parts store. As a backup, I even measured the old battery and/or brought the old one inside when I was looking.

I've purchased batteries for my car at Pep Boys and Kragen. Both sell the correct size (sometimes they may be out of stock).

Good luck!
Old 04-08-2004 | 09:34 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I've had enough problems with not getting the proper parts from them. At this point, I only use them for oil and car wash supplies, unless I'm in a pinch.

BB.
Old 04-08-2004 | 09:38 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Since you didn't buy the battery there according to them and that is where the charge came from on your credit card, call up the card company and report a fraudulent charge. You must have been wrong about the whole thing and never actually purchased a battery there. If you did you would be in the computer. The card company can give you your money back, toss the bad battery and go buy a good one.

Silly racists
Old 04-08-2004 | 10:21 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I agree with Travis. Call your credit card company. You never bought anything from Advanced. Their computer says so, so it must be true.
Old 04-08-2004 | 12:02 PM
Mouthpiece
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would give a copy of the bank statement to the person you're dealing with at corporate. (I would suggest taking it to the manager, but it's clear he's the topic of my favorite Dennis Leary song.) If corporate says there's no record of your buying anything, then call your bank.
Old 04-08-2004 | 12:20 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Ditto. Call your credit card customer service.
Old 04-08-2004 | 12:32 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

That is surprising--around here Advanced is pretty good to deal with. I have taken back parts that I didn't need--no questions asked--they even gave me a new MC for my Jeep, when I thought the previous one I purchased had a mis-machined hole for the rear hard line --turned out the flared end of the hard line was the damged piece, not the MC--oops, still a new one, no problem, even though the one I returned was used and covered in fluid.
Old 04-08-2004 | 03:58 PM
MTM
Pro

I find it surprising that you were able to get a new battery for only $52 in the first place!
Old 04-08-2004 | 04:56 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yea, i am suprised as well, advance auto is pretty much the only place i buy parts from, and i have never had a problem with them, but i guess this can happen anywhere. I agree with the other guys though, just call your credit card company and dispute the charge since advance auto has no record of it.
Old 04-08-2004 | 05:51 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Ahhh, don't call corporate just show up with a 9mm and ask to speak to the manager again!!!

Just kidding, I can't think of any better ideas than what has already been posted. Sounds like you'll win in the end but who needs the hastle!
Old 04-08-2004 | 11:16 PM
icat
Race Car

Why not take the bank statement and show the manager to prove you purchased the battery. Also might find out when your sales guy works and see if you can get him to exchange the battery. Real lesson here is to ALWAYS keep your receipt - especially for anything that has a warranty.
Old 04-08-2004 | 11:27 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

I bought from them.. i bought the brake pads i am currently using. the pads seem great... but heres the story.

I wnet through the order process, and at the final part of the checkout it said, order process failed, please try again.
Did it again, and it worked, all was good.

Got home that night, check my email, both confirmations are there, they charged my card for both.

I call them immediately, they say its already shipped, nothing they can do unless i ship it back or dont accept it from ups so that they return it to them. only then would i get credited. So i said screw it, i got them, sold the extra pair on ebay for 10.00 more than they cost (before shipping) so i basically made the pads and extra shipping up.

To top it off. i look in my bank account the next day, two more charges of 56 were taken out of my account from them, or partsamerica.com which is their website parts service or something. I emailed them and they said it goes away after a few days, (it was still in the pending process in my bank statement online). But what if i had less than that much in the bank at the time? they couldve cost me charges for going in debt and such.

Anyway, they aren't my favorite service. Go in their store if you want something, (i havent had problems like the starter of this thread), but dont order online unless your ballsy or got a big backup amount of funds in the bank. Oh and btw, after all this, i got the brakes, and in the box, the receipt had a price higher than what they charged me.. (just 5 dollars more for shipping they printed on it, but didnt charge me) . Awfully flakey to me.
Old 04-09-2004 | 08:59 AM
aach
Advanced

I got in touch with the mananger's mananger, I guess who deals with all of the stores in Indianapolis. He asked me to go back into the store with my bank statement showing the charge for the battery, and to get a refund. Another mananger helped me out, and actually found my signed receipt in the back room somewhere, and refunded me the money. So, now I am a little more happy. heh
Old 04-09-2004 | 11:33 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Good i think i will go buy some spark plugs from them

Quick Reply: Advanced Auto Parts - makes me sad...