Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIR splitter

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 08:46 PM
Bones944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AIR splitter

Received my splitter yesterday and fitted it and shot the color coats on it today. The craftsmanship is very good; it fit perfectly, and had only a few spots to fill after sanding. All in all, a very good value!
Old 04-06-2004, 08:52 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This isn't the uni-splitters I've seen on EBay is it?
Old 04-06-2004, 08:55 PM
Bones944
Burning Brakes

www.americaninternationalracing.com
Old 04-06-2004, 08:56 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Thats an AIR splitter:

Old 04-06-2004, 09:07 PM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

This is also an AIR splitter...
Old 04-06-2004, 09:08 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Hmmm...well, looks like a bumper skin to me! I thought he meant "DTM" style splitters...?

Oh well. Either way...damn I want the 951 front end, it looks so much nicer!!!
Old 04-06-2004, 09:22 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by URIN 2ND
Hmmm...well, looks like a bumper skin to me! I thought he meant "DTM" style splitters...?
What the heck is a "DTM" style splitter?

FWIW, most thingies called splitters in the aftermarket industry are not really splitters.

Trending Topics

Old 04-06-2004, 09:25 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Sean, it's not the whole bumper, it's just the lower thin section that protrudes to move airflow from under the car to around the sides. On Chris's old car there (badass951) it's the black part on the lower section of the bumper... does that clarify it at all?

By the way, Chris, I didn't realize before that you removed the pop-ups.... and as much as I love the pop-ups, WOW your front end conversion looked AMAZING! I'm planning on cutting a custom vented nose this summer... but that pop-up-deleting nose is sooo good looking! Who made that? Also, who made the fog light -> headlight conversion? That is really beautiful!

Ok... off to do some homework for tomorrow and finally get to sleep (yeah, that didn't happen last night, unfortunately, lol)
Old 04-06-2004, 09:31 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, I figured it out but was too lazy to post again...lol.

I'm used to calling that a "chin spoiler". Here's what I commonly see referred to as "splitters"...

Man, I need to shift my vocabulary around for this new arena! Thanks!
Old 04-06-2004, 09:45 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

LOL... they have many names, really. Some differentiate them by design and purpose, some don't. "Splitters" "chin spoilers" "air dams" "lip spoilers".... some have purpose in their name, some don't bother to tell the difference No biggie I guess
Old 04-06-2004, 09:53 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

No one makes them here and freight in their current size is waaaaay to much, like many hundred. What would you think about cutting one in half and then fixing it in the fitting process when it goes on? I need one of those.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:09 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

NZ,
I just mounted an AIR "splitter" on my car. I believe it could easily be cut in half and glassed back together. Shipping from S. Cal to N.J. is $50.00. If shipping is around $200.00 to New Zealand I think it would be worth getting the part in one piece. What the hell, take the time and make a mold for yourself with the time you would spend putting the cut splitter together.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:25 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by URIN 2ND
Yeah, I figured it out but was too lazy to post again...lol.

I'm used to calling that a "chin spoiler". Here's what I commonly see referred to as "splitters"...

Man, I need to shift my vocabulary around for this new arena! Thanks!
Yeah, that's just German rice. Seems to be very popular on Bimmers for some stupid reason. Ruins a lot of otherwise good airdams available for the E46.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:31 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by FSAEracer03
LOL... they have many names, really. Some differentiate them by design and purpose, some don't. "Splitters" "chin spoilers" "air dams" "lip spoilers".... some have purpose in their name, some don't bother to tell the difference No biggie I guess
Splitters are different from airdams/spoilers.

A splitter is a horizontal, flat or very nearly flat extension attached to the bottom of an airdam. They add considerable downforce over and above that generated by an airdam. They are also quite tuneable by the length they stick out from the airdam. On many professional race cars they are adjustable for length to easily increase or decrease downforce in the front.

The things being called splitters by the aftermarket are just using the name as a marketing thing. They are more of a airdam or spoiler.

I have to laugh at those silly partial spoilers being labeled "DTM." It's lame. You won't see them on real DTM cars. In fact, on the Speed TC BMW E46s they use a lame factory bumper cover with those stupid things molded in and if you look closely you will see the teams fill in the center gap. Germans can be very ricey.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:25 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Geo
Splitters are different from airdams/spoilers.

A splitter is a horizontal, flat or very nearly flat extension attached to the bottom of an airdam. They add considerable downforce over and above that generated by an airdam. They are also quite tuneable by the length they stick out from the airdam. On many professional race cars they are adjustable for length to easily increase or decrease downforce in the front.

The things being called splitters by the aftermarket are just using the name as a marketing thing. They are more of a airdam or spoiler.

I have to laugh at those silly partial spoilers being labeled "DTM." It's lame. You won't see them on real DTM cars. In fact, on the Speed TC BMW E46s they use a lame factory bumper cover with those stupid things molded in and if you look closely you will see the teams fill in the center gap. Germans can be very ricey.
They may be different, but everyone thinks of them one in the same.
Don't forget front valence, "same thing"...

Quick Reply: AIR splitter