Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DANGIT! Stupid car. More problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004 | 08:52 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Default DANGIT! Stupid car. More problems

OK, the last 4-5 days or so when driving it, Ive notice a smell of gas. I hadn't really thought much of it, but there smell was noticeable when I pulled the car in the garage and got out.

Last night when turning the car off, right before I did, I noticed there was a wooshing kind of sound coming from the back end of the car -- perhaps right side. By woosh I mean kid of like a slurpy. It kept going until I turned the car off. I just cast it aside. During my driving yesterday though when really punching the car in third gear, the car seemed to just quit in third at about 80mph. Didnt hit rev limiter or anything.

So today I go out and start the car and the car runs real rough at idle and the car kidn of shakes a little until you really bring the revs up. A lot of smoke from the exhaust too -- like WAY TOO MUCH. The sounds yucky at idle and I did not drive it. I did add the SFR maybe 200 miles ago but I dont think thats related right?

944Pete, I gotta ask, pulling the gauges didnt do squat right? Im sure it didnt I just gotta ask. That said, the "!" light stays on dim all the time now. But not FULLY bright. If I pull the hand brake, the light brightens fully.

So I have about 4-5 things going on here in the last week of which I have no idea if any of them are related or not.

All I know is Im tired of this crap. Usually the car runs fine. This spring its really getting on my nerves though with this crap. Timing belts and H20 pump were changed 2000 miles ago. Belt was retensioned 300 miles ago. Oil changed at same time.

I just dont understand it. Its like the car is being haunted by ghosts this year.
Old 04-04-2004 | 09:12 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

No, pulling the gauges wouldn't do anything. You can drive the car fine without a gauge cluster.
It sounds like a fuel pump issue. The fuel pump is in the back. The fuel filter is in the rear passenger side. It kinda sounds like a clogged up fuel filter.

I still can't figure out the '!' light. Just to clue everyone in, we replaced the stock bulbs in the gauge cluster with LED's and now the '!' light is on very dim. Any ideas on why out there?

You're not buying cheap gas on the black market, are you?
Old 04-04-2004 | 09:13 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Hmm fuel pump going bad. Does it leak? Open the housing off and check it out. Also when was the fuel filter changed last could be old and clogged.
Old 04-04-2004 | 09:16 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

I forgot to add that a fuel filter is around 15$ and it would be a good thing to change out if it hasn't been done so yet. Also this will rule out the filter for being the cause if the problem still happens. The pump is around 175$ when I bought mine on the 86 951. If you smell gas back there it's probably the pump failing. Mine was still good but it leaked and then it started to fail with lack of power.
Old 04-04-2004 | 09:22 PM
RobbyK
Pro

From: The mistake on the lake other wise known as Erie PA

I know this is off topic but has any one ever heard of a fire starting from a faulty fuel pump?
Old 04-04-2004 | 09:28 PM
UDPride
Lifetime Rennlist

I filled up with 8 gallons of super unleaded at speedway yesterday.

like id know what the heck a fuel pump is or looks like!

i dont remeber however any maintenance lately that consisted of the fuel pump or fuel filter - nothing in the least 18-24 months for sure. this is pretty much beyond my realm of expertise.
Old 04-04-2004 | 09:42 PM
keith
Drifting

I could teach you, but I'd have to charge.

Seriously, under the car on the right side, at the bottom of the fuel tank, you'll see a metal cover with 2 screws in it. When you remove the cover, you'll find 2 canisters. The one with the wires attached is the pump. The other is the filter.
Old 04-04-2004 | 09:44 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

if the alternator isnt charging fully, would that cause the ! light ot come on dimly?

In the range rover, if the alternator is weak (not dead, but not putting out what its supposed to) the battery light is very dimly lit. Sometimes its so dim that you can't even see it unless its night out. perhaps thats it? but that sounds like it would ube unrelated to your running problem...
Old 04-04-2004 | 10:33 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Sounds like the car is running rich.

It vould be a fuel pressure regulator failing. This would cause the fuel pump to run all of the time and overpressurize the fuel rail.

The DME controls the fuel by varying the length of time the injectors open. If the fuel pressure is over-spec, too much fuel is injected.

This was one of the two problems that caused my car to fail in the 19 years I've owned it.
Old 04-04-2004 | 11:01 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Man 83na944 you really know your fuel. This thread and the other one. Keep up the good work man. I would replace the fuel filter like you said hasn't been done in the last 2 years that you know of cheap plus it's only good for the car and see what happens from there. The FPR could be at fault aswell.
Old 04-05-2004 | 12:22 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Okie dokie, #1, you CAN run the car without the instrument cluster, but the alternator will not work. You will be running off the battery (ask me how I know).

Also, I pulled my instrument cluster, and upon re-installation the ! light was on dim. On mine as well, pulling the e-brake caused it to come on full bright, but it would always stay on dim, along with my oil pressure light. (Despite a reading of 1-2 bar).

I re-removed the instrument cluster, cleaned all contacts with some rubbing alcohol, and the problem is gone.
Old 04-05-2004 | 01:33 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Zero10
Okie dokie, #1, you CAN run the car without the instrument cluster, but the alternator will not work. You will be running off the battery (ask me how I know).

Also, I pulled my instrument cluster, and upon re-installation the ! light was on dim. On mine as well, pulling the e-brake caused it to come on full bright, but it would always stay on dim, along with my oil pressure light. (Despite a reading of 1-2 bar).

I re-removed the instrument cluster, cleaned all contacts with some rubbing alcohol, and the problem is gone.
That sounds like a plan.
Chris, if you're reading this, bring the car over tomorrow and we'll (I'll) fix that. we could put a new fuel flter on too.Maybe we can get that 3rd LED to work too. I'm busy Tuesday and Wednesday but I'm clear after that.
Old 04-05-2004 | 01:42 AM
UDPride
Lifetime Rennlist

I may be busy tomorrow. Might not get over. I'll let you know though. If worse comse to worse, what about the weekend?
Old 04-05-2004 | 01:45 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I could do Sunday. Friday & Saturday I have my 3 year old.
Old 04-05-2004 | 02:05 AM
sm
Drifting

Make sure the plugs on the back of the gauges are on tight. That's what solved my dim "!" light problem.

Quick Reply: DANGIT! Stupid car. More problems