Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

resealed power steering rack spewing... :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 12:31 AM
tomc_85.5_944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default resealed power steering rack spewing... :(

Got the universal clamp issue taken care of (thanks all!) and finished up the job. Put in ATF, and started her up. Started doing the bleed, and fluid starts spewing from the "line up" hole. Neighbor checks again, and it is coming from there around the actual rod. All left side only. With the steering turned to the right, no leaks, but when I start to turn to the left, a STEADY stream comes out. As soon as the steering is stopped on the left, the stream slows to a trickle and then stops, and also stops as soon as I start turning back to the right (pretty sure about the last part, seeing red by then).

I would think that a backwards seal wouldn't leak that bad, so is it possible that a seal got displaced? I did all the seals last week, so other than the pictures, can't remember what seals up the left side internally. Thinking maybe the seal aroung the "drill bit" gear inside and at the bottom of the main housing? Anyone had this happen? Starting to think I ought to name her Christine....

As usual, thanks in advance for the help!!!

Tom "I'm never buying another project car again" Covington
Old 04-04-2004, 10:43 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh yes, a backwards seal will leak that bad. The wiper seals are made to seal only one way. The lip and groove should always go towards the pressure.

There are only 2 seals that can be causing your leak. The one at the bottom of the aluminum housing or the one in the little shuttle. Another thing you could have backwards is the shuttle itself. The part with the seal in it goes towards the snaprings and washer thingy. Just email me and I will send you any new seals if you need some. travis@rennbay.com
Old 04-04-2004, 10:47 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Maybe a silly question, but is there any way to pressure test a resealed rack before installation?

Or, is there a sensible way to "partially install" the rack (such as not connecting up the tie rods, etc) and start the car to check for leaks? It would be a bummer to 100% complete the re-install only to find that there's a leak.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:59 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

You can if you want to. You just hook up the two high pressure lines to the rack and dont put anything else on it. A piece of rubber fuel line can slide over the spline of the rack then you can use a pair of channel locks to turn it. The rubber hose will keep the spline from being damaged by the channel locks.
The only concern with this method is to make sure the car is securely on jack stands or better yet on a lift. You DO NOT want the car to fall on you. That would be bad.
Old 04-04-2004, 02:13 PM
tomc_85.5_944
Racer

Thanks Travis. Gonna start the re-tear down probably next week, as the sight of the car is making me nauseous right now...

Will I have any luck reinstalling the seals once I remove them, or do I need new ones regardless? Think I know the answer, just want to hear a pro say it. Also, by shuttle, are you talking about the six inch piece inside with the prongs at one end that goes over the rod with teeth in it?

Yes, it was a bummer....Definitely gonna check pressure prior to installing anything, from here on out. Got everything totally back together last night, prior to checking...
Old 04-04-2004, 04:30 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Yep, that piece that slides over the rack with the seal in it. If its in backwards (itself, not the seal) then you will not require any new seals. If the seal is in backwards then let me know and I will send you out replacements for the ones you need.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:33 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, big thumbs up for rennbay here. It is rare theat I hear somebody offer to send replacements for anything!

I hope you get this issue nailed down. I rebuilt my rack, what a pain in the **** that is, I feel for you having to pull it apart again.
Best of luck on this.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:37 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Haven't lost a patient yet.

And yes, we will get you through this even if you have to send it in for me to finish it.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:43 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Travis for President!!
Old 04-05-2004, 02:06 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Travis - sflraver
And yes, we will get you through this even if you have to send it in for me to finish it.
I was looking at your site, I noticed that you don't offer the "I'll rebuild your rack" service anymore.

Was the reason that the shipping was cost prohibitive? Or that people were hounding you to turn the rack around in zero time?

Just curious. It seemed like a good value to let you do it (considering that someone doing it for the first time is going to take many more hours than you would).
Old 04-05-2004, 02:08 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by 944pete
Travis for President!!
LOL.. If sending out a few $$ worth of seals to a good customer or spending a half an hour on fixing there rack makes me a candidate for president then this country is in trouble.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:27 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

LOL.. If sending out a few $$ worth of seals to a good customer or spending a half an hour on fixing there rack makes me a candidate for president then this country is in trouble.
Who's saying it's not in trouble?

Sam
Old 04-05-2004, 10:47 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

What would John Kerry do if asked to help with a rack rebuild?
And how about Bush?

Now that is an issue worth debating.

Note: Please people , don't get into the aspects of the presidential candidates ability to work on Porsches. I know you guys get carried away sometimes with topics like this.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:57 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

What would John Kerry do if asked to help with a rack rebuild?
And how about Bush?
Bill Clinton was known to help people wth their racks.

(Sorry, you left yourself wide open for that one.)
Old 04-05-2004, 11:16 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Travis, a candidate that would actually be a reason to start voting!

This is the same help Travis offered me, this is not a random thing, very typical of the customer service offered by Rennbay.

P.S. Travis -- did you get my mail?

Quick Reply: resealed power steering rack spewing... :(