Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some SC'd 944 tuning help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 08:30 PM
DarrenD
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

We got the Rogue datalogger working today which is a huge help but we can't seem to get the AEM wideband to register. There is no datastream file for the aem wideband so we just use the Automoeter one and everything else works ok that way.
We got the car to idle well, and it cruises well, pulls hard at WOT but the issue is in between shifts, it bogs for a second before "clearing it's throat" and taking off again. Not sure what is causing it to bog. If we can figure that part out, it'll be really good and ready for the dyno.
Old 05-01-2021, 03:28 PM
DarrenD
Racer

So the crankcase ventilation was hooked up incorrectly and now that's its right the car runs beautifully. The other problem is my brother inadvertently installed NA injectors and not the turbo injectors. Once we install those the car should be spot on. I will just need to fine tune the fueling and ignition at that point and we should be good. We got it running perfect up until 4k and it pulls like a beast!! Lights the tires up everywhere.
The following users liked this post:
Devia (05-18-2021)
Old 05-01-2021, 09:17 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 230 Likes on 169 Posts

DarrenD,
NICELY DONE.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:33 PM
DarrenD
Racer

Originally Posted by Noahs944
DarrenD,
NICELY DONE.
Thanks Noah. My brother ordered a knock sensor setup today too so I'm really excited for that. Once it's all sorted I'll be sure to post up some videos.
The following 2 users liked this post by DarrenD:
Devia (05-18-2021), Noahs944 (05-03-2021)
Old 05-16-2021, 09:39 AM
DarrenD
Racer

Knock sensor should be installed today and our tuning journey can continue. I've pulled a considerable amount of timing and it still pulls like a freight train at 6psi. I am having trouble with it in closed loop at idle. It's either slightly rich and the DME wants to lean it out too much and the idle is inconsistent or it's just way too rich but idles well. I think we'll stick with the fat idle and let the DME deal with it.
The car gets rubber in third gear now. Having owned a 944 Turbo, I will take the power delivery of the SC anyday. Once we're all sorted with the street tuning it'll go to the dyno, maybe this week. I can't wait to see what the power numbers look like. I know we won't see turbo like numbers but it's just so much more usable power now and corner exits at the track and autocross should be so much better. I'm guessing we're seeing approx. 50 more hp, which doesn't sound like much but the car weighs around 2500 lbs and it's just the perfect amount.
The following 2 users liked this post by DarrenD:
Devia (05-18-2021), Noahs944 (05-16-2021)
Old 05-16-2021, 09:55 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

IIRC in tunerpro you should be able to raise the closed loop O2 sensor RPM so it idles open loop, so the dme wont try to correct it. then you can manually lean it out.
The following users liked this post:
Devia (05-18-2021)
Old 05-16-2021, 12:32 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 230 Likes on 169 Posts

Darren,
I learned the hard way with my INNOVATIVE wide band:
Don't ever run the engine with the o2 sensor not powered (don't run engine with sensor installed in bung but not powered).
I think it needs the heater or its kaput. I dunno if none wide band is also like this.
Based on your description, I'm curious if there might be a vacuum leak at idle?
...just spitballin' here bro. Pumped to see your progression. IMO your engine looks better than the factory 944/951 factory engines.
Old 05-22-2021, 01:55 PM
DarrenD
Racer

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
IIRC in tunerpro you should be able to raise the closed loop O2 sensor RPM so it idles open loop, so the dme wont try to correct it. then you can manually lean it out.
I've been looking to try this but I can't seem to figure out how to get it to idle in open loop? Any idea what parameter I need to change in TPRT?

Old 05-22-2021, 02:03 PM
DarrenD
Racer

Originally Posted by Noahs944
Darren,
I learned the hard way with my INNOVATIVE wide band:
Don't ever run the engine with the o2 sensor not powered (don't run engine with sensor installed in bung but not powered).
I think it needs the heater or its kaput. I dunno if none wide band is also like this.
Based on your description, I'm curious if there might be a vacuum leak at idle?
...just spitballin' here bro. Pumped to see your progression. IMO your engine looks better than the factory 944/951 factory engines.
Thanks Noah. We looked everywhere for a vacuum leak, and it's all good. We had a MAF sensor failure which was a huge pain and the fact that Rogue used a Ford 3L3Z MAF sensor which you can no longer get. Only the 3L3A is available from Ford(and even Lindsey) which doesn't have the correct AIT reading. I don't think anything we do with the Rogue setup utilizes AIT so I think it's still ok.
We've pulled timing down to 23 degrees at WOT and no knock(using the new Knocklink setup) and still good power. The car needs a catch can(closed system) as were pulling so much air into the SC that its pulling oil from the AOS. Pretty minor but I think that's why we hurt the first MAF sensor. We tried cleaning the sensor but no luck.
This coming Wednesday is the first trackday with the SC on the car so I can tune it at the track and after we're going to hit the dyno to hopefully get everything spot on.

Last edited by DarrenD; 05-22-2021 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-23-2021, 11:02 PM
fasteddie313
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DarrenD
Thanks Noah. We looked everywhere for a vacuum leak, and it's all good. We had a MAF sensor failure which was a huge pain and the fact that Rogue used a Ford 3L3Z MAF sensor which you can no longer get. Only the 3L3A is available from Ford(and even Lindsey) which doesn't have the correct AIT reading. I don't think anything we do with the Rogue setup utilizes AIT so I think it's still ok.
We've pulled timing down to 23 degrees at WOT and no knock(using the new Knocklink setup) and still good power. The car needs a catch can(closed system) as were pulling so much air into the SC that its pulling oil from the AOS. Pretty minor but I think that's why we hurt the first MAF sensor. We tried cleaning the sensor but no luck.
This coming Wednesday is the first trackday with the SC on the car so I can tune it at the track and after we're going to hit the dyno to hopefully get everything spot on.

Can you not calibrate it to run just about any MAF?
It doesn't have sensor calibration options?
Old 05-24-2021, 07:01 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

I've been looking to try this but I can't seem to figure out how to get it to idle in open loop? Any idea what parameter I need to change in TPRT?
IIRC you can change the RPM at which the O2 sensor "turns on". Might be called O2 minimum RPM or something like that.
When I had NA tune and the tuner I remember Joshua telling me to set that to 2000rpm or something so I could still benefit from O2 correction while cruising but it helped stabilize idle and low-load.

"Constants/Scalars" -> "Closed loop RPM limit"...assuming your setup still looks like this old screenshot from Joshua (top left)

Last edited by V2Rocket; 05-24-2021 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-24-2021, 04:03 PM
Porsche94483
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey guys, I built a Supercharger setup for my 944 - 7 years ago and now it's just been installed on my brothers 85.2. The car uses an Eaton blower running approx. 6 lbs of boost and utilizes the RogueTuning NA-Tune MAF conversion and 944 Turbo injectors. It's currently running on a stock DME that was modified by Rogue and now has a Moates Ostrich 2.0 emulator and we're running TunerPro RT.
Does anyone have a good working knowledge of the tuning program for the 944? My memory is terrible and I'm having trouble remembering how to get it to run better. It currently runs and drives but definitely needs some more tuning work. We want to get it as close as we can before taking it to a Dyno for the final tune. Thanks.
where is the flowmeter
Old 05-28-2021, 08:21 PM
DarrenD
Racer

Took the car to the track on Wednesday and it was fantastic. Until the reference sensor started failing. Then we had to limp it home where it finally died and wouldn't restart. My brother got jittery and decided to pull all the SC stuff off, fix what needs to be fixed and maybe he'll look at re-installing. He's struggling with the fact that he doesn't understand how to tune it and leans on me for all of it. Hopefully I can convince him to take another shot at it, the car was SO good at the track on Wednesday. We had a Dyno session scheduled for that afternoon, but once the car started dying we had to cancel. It was a pretty disappointing end to what started off as an amazing day. Custom Fab and tuning isn't easy and definitely isn't for everyone. Personally I love it but I wouldn't even think about SC'ing my Boxster unless I had super deep pockets.

Here's hoping I get another shot at it. Otherwise I may have to buy another 944 one day.........
Old 05-28-2021, 08:23 PM
DarrenD
Racer

Originally Posted by Porsche94483
where is the flowmeter
It's a custom stainless MAF tube I built. It's between the 2 silicone coupler on the intake tube.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:27 PM
DarrenD
Racer

Update!

VEMS has been ordered. The Supercharger will live again. We've got some big plans this year including going VEMS Standalone, improving the SC intake and outlet piping, running a second tensioner for better SC belt wrap and more. Stay tuned, we're going to get this right eventually!

Quick Reply: Need some SC'd 944 tuning help.