Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 02:14 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C Removal

Just got my kit from Larry & Luke today, and it dawned on me. I have no idea what I'm actually supposed to *do* with the kit, aside from remove the A/C compressor and drop the alternator down. Anyone have a step-by-step of this? What else can I remove besides the condensor? Was A/C and option on the early cars (or will I be bumped to a higher autox class)?Thanks.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:35 AM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh man I sure hope to get mine soon, I cant wait, I plan on removing, everything a/c related, lines, condenser, mounting brackets, everything and anything I can...ALso let me ask you, did the kit come ups or fed-ex..?

And as far as removal and installation, well I have not seen under the hood of my car in like 5 months, so I am of no help with that right now, try looking in PAragon's tech section..maybe..

DAmian
Old 04-01-2004, 03:42 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the updated AC Delete Tech-Session... on paper. Nothing on the site yet, but it's really pretty easy.

For now, here's what we do have:

http://www.tech-session.com/kb/index...x_v2&id=37&c=4

It's more of a commentary than a tech procedure. If you have any questions, just ask - quite a few of us have done it. Getting the lines out of the car is the largest hassle - if you EVER plan on reinstalling the AC, leave the lines in.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:14 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Thanks skip. Maybe I'll actually keep track of what I'm doing for once and do a write-up on the procedure.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:19 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I have read the old tech session on it several times in preparation. Is it true that the radiator must be dropped in order to remove the condensor? If so, do hoses need to be disconnected or can it be done "carefully"?
Old 04-01-2004, 12:48 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

I think you can remove the condensor one of two ways.. The first way would be to remove the fan shroud, and radiator, then the condensor..But then again I think there are two 10 mm bolts that hold the condensor on the top, and these two bolts can only be reached form the front, having to remove the front bumper to get at them..And if this is the case, I think it would be best to remove the condensor from the front and not even touch the radiator...But again I dont have my car in front of me right now and its been like 5 months since Ive seen under the hood of the thing, so im not exactly sure...

DAmian
Old 04-01-2004, 01:15 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Does that kit also work on the 951s or were the belts different? How much was it... and how much weight has someone saved my removing the condesor, compressor, lines, tubes, etc.?

Brandon, a write-up with photos and arrows would at LEAST buy you a beer at the 'Fest (if you go).
Old 04-01-2004, 01:33 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by tifosiman
I have read the old tech session on it several times in preparation. Is it true that the radiator must be dropped in order to remove the condensor? If so, do hoses need to be disconnected or can it be done "carefully"?
I did this about 4 years ago, but I still have a pretty good picture of it in my head.

Not sure about the 944, but on my 924S I did not have to remove the radiator or the bumper to remove the condensor. The trick part was breaking the hose connection free though as one was really stuck.

Regarding what to remove, I would leave the lines in place if you even slightly think you will want to reinstall the AC later on. The lines are a bitch to remove and I imagine they are even more of a bitch to reinstall. You can remove the evaporator core from under the right side of the dash and disconnect all the electrical crap that connects to it and on early dash cars you can pull the dash panel on the center console and remove the AC rotary switch and use that location for another gauge. I opted for an AF ratio gauge, but it is a pretty useless gauge and kind of annoying so it will go away one day.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:57 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Excellent, thanks all. I will take plenty of photos as I do it this weekend (I guess you can figure out that I have not sold the car after all, eh? ).

I'll try to do a little write up for everyone that includes the pics.

Old 04-01-2004, 02:31 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey.. where are my 2. I am feeling left out here!!!
Old 04-01-2004, 04:18 PM
Larry Parker
Racer

They should be there soon.... I belive luke sent all out saturday.... They where all sent via USPS.....
Old 04-01-2004, 04:23 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The part looks nice, except that the postman appears to have dropped it and it has a ding on it
Old 04-01-2004, 04:24 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was just bugging you Larry. I am in no rush at all.

Quick Reply: A/C Removal