Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Tip Resolved

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 05:01 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust Tip Resolved

Well, I just got the new exhaust tip welded in and it looks sweet. But finding it took a bit of effort. But it is good I found it as the old one was ready to fall off it was so rotted through.

The OEM tip is a 4" x 3" oval. The one I found, a Ractive Model T-820, has oval dimentions of 4.75" x 3.5" and and being larger looks better with the 944's stance and with fat tires on back. I think this is about the only tip that will meet the folowing: True oval shape (not just a rounded rectangle), something around 5"x 3", polished stainless steel, rolled lip rather than just a chopped off tube of steel, angled tip (like OEM) so the bottom of the tip doesn't jut out and also catch rain water, AND a 2.5" inlet.

It is nearly impossible to find all those features but a local performance shop knew about this one. $35 for the tip and $20 to weld in. Not too bad I thought.

Oh, and the OEM muffler is made out of something pretty damn special. The shop owner was going to cut out the old rusting tip and thought he would sawsall the tube exiting the muffler next to the weld to clear all the rotted end tube out. He put a new blade in the saw and started he did't even make it through the start of the wall and the blade teeth were all rounded. So think twice before you throw that muffler away because it really is special. I always thought it was sort of strange that I had a perfectly good corrosion free muffler on a 17 year old car.

Anyway, that is the report for those that also wanted to replace their rotted out OEM tailpipe tips.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:31 PM
Bruce '89 s2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know these are made of strong stuff. I'm still running on original exhaust with excess of a quarter million miles and it still looks and sounds good.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:10 PM
RI951
Instructor

I'll tell you what, IceShark. You fly first class. I should just have you buy two of everything you buy, then send me the goods and the bill. I know I'll like whatever you pick out...

Gettin' warm enough to put my lighting and ground kits on...
Old 03-31-2004, 06:57 PM
Dsalillas
Racer

If you don't mind, could we get a pic?
Old 03-31-2004, 07:29 PM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, so where did you find this gem? I need a new tip for my 951.

BTW: A p-grinder and a cut off wheel will cut the exhaust tubing.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:46 PM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey I think that's close to mine, it's a Ractive. Replaced it with that until I get a SFR.

Old 03-31-2004, 08:42 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

I second IceShark's opinion on the muffler. My car is 21 years old with the original muffler. I've been told it's made of stainless steel. Not sure about that, but it sure is solid.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:20 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Donald has a couple pictures of it posted above, though it looks like he is a little off center to the left on the install in his *** end shot. As far as I can tell that is the same tip that I got. Obviously not close up enough pictures to get a better idea, but that is as good as you are going to get on pictures as I don't have a digital camera. Trust me, it looks good.

Cliff, you should be able to get this at a local muffler shop though they will have to order it, most likely. I could do a group buy but the shipping would make it cost as much as getting locally. And yes, a cutoff wheel would take care of the muffler alloy, I was just explaining that it is not just stainless steel, it is much more than that. I don't know what it is alloyed with but it sure is tough .... maybe chrome molly?
Old 04-01-2004, 12:02 AM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

A close up.

Old 04-01-2004, 12:06 AM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wonder how much to rechrome an old tip, still solid with bad chrome?
Old 04-01-2004, 12:08 AM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by triscadek
I wonder how much to rechrome an old tip, still solid with bad chrome?
You can buy the chrome that wraps the pipe. Last I seen 27.00 on E-Bay.
My tip was so rusted, (underneath the chrome), I just decided to cut if off and put this on for now.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:49 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Yeah, forget rechroming the old tip. It is a two part tip - the core is mild steel and then there is a wrap around thin piece of stainless. The core is what is rotting away - mine was almost all gone just held on by a few chunks of rust. When the thing was sawsalled off there was over a cup of rust that fell off from vibration.

Donald, on your close up picture is there a bite of metal missing from the bottom edge of the rolled lip? How did that happen?
Old 04-01-2004, 01:02 AM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by IceShark
Yeah, forget rechroming the old tip. It is a two part tip - the core is mild steel and then there is a wrap around thin piece of stainless. The core is what is rotting away - mine was almost all gone just held on by a few chunks of rust. When the thing was sawsalled off there was over a cup of rust that fell off from vibration.

Donald, on your close up picture is there a bite of metal missing from the bottom edge of the rolled lip? How did that happen?
I thinks it's just a build up of carbon, I need to polish it.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Tip Resolved