Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looked at a potential 944 today: impressions, thoughts, and questions!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 11:31 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looked at a potential 944 today: impressions, thoughts, and questions!

Hey gang!

Well, I'm finally shopping for the "one"...the ideal candidate for my LT4 project. I have been reading the papers, but finally got out today and test drove the second one on my list.

The car is an '88 944, black, 120k miles, grey cloth interior (it's like grey checkerboard or plaid...eeew). Some bolster damage on both seats, about 4" of foam exposed on the driver's side. Removeable hard top roof. Dash has 4 or 5 decent cracks. Shifter leather wasted. Dent and rock chips in nose panel. Bumper doesn't appear to have been hit from the ouside, but it's off-center and seems to be pushed in 3" on the pass side, and sticks out way further on the drivers side, so the bumper almost appears diagonal if viewed from above.

Cyl. head and timing belt just done less than 100 miles ago. No other records. It's a towing company and they often fix up/sell certain cars they come across. Clutch feels fine and tranny shifts like butter. There seems to be a lot of engine vibration inside the cabin at times (motor mounts I'm thinking). Oil pressure was fine although the oil light was on. Ran powerful and smooth, no smoke. Suspension was solid.

They are asking 2500 for the car.

Now...I was hoping to find a car that had a blown motor, but a decent interior. I saw this and checked it out on a whim. What do you guys think?

Man, I am kicking myself in the head for not buying a 944 sooner. I had a run of VW Corrados that I modified pretty heavily (last one was a 13 sec car). I used to think they drove and handled great...and they do, I did love driving it...but I'll tell you what. Even though it's under powered, and on a stock 120k mile suspension...the 944 practically drove itself around the curves. All I needed to do was keep my hands on the wheel and play with the throttle...the car did the rest like it was reading my mind. What a blast to drive! This may not be THE one, but I can't wait til I find the right one! I'm hooked!
Old 03-30-2004, 11:42 PM
billatlanta
Racer

I totally agree with you on the handling. They are highly underrated automobiles. I was at an autox (my first) and I saw some new non Porsche "sports cars" compete. The amount of body lean in the corners and even though some had all wheel drive they did not hug the corners like the 20 year old clapped out 944's.

My impressions were the same as yours. Killer handling and super gear box.

Whether the car you drove is a good buy is hard to say. I believe you could spend another $1k and get a car that is in better shape, perhaps enthusiasts owned with records.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:42 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

way too much. for 2500 you can get one with a interior and great mechanicals. I am sure if you keep looking you will find one with a broken T-belt in SoCal. (hopefully not any of you rennlisters!)
Old 03-30-2004, 11:50 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

the stock 944 has a decent amount of body roll. if you think those are bad check out a 951, they have a LOT. i recall seeing factory ads with the cars rockers scraping the ground. they are set that way from the factory (probably to be less good than the 911), but still have killer handling.

i hope you find one with a blown motor to do the conversion on. i'd hate to see you waste a decent car.

i'm looking for one with a blown motor just like you on the east coast. except i have a nice 36k mile motor to go in it.

-Mike-
Old 03-31-2004, 01:14 AM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like a Celebration edition that was repainted black. Too bad about the interior being ratty...

I certainly don't think it's "ewww." The grey Celebration plaid is one of my favorites.

Micah
Old 03-31-2004, 01:38 AM
Dsalillas
Racer

Not to throw this thread off but on the "other board" someone is selling their new Renegade conversion kit. Don't know the guy but if your converting it might be good to look at it.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:44 AM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Dsalillas,

What's the "other board?" If you could link me, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks much for the advice guys! I think the hunt will continue...but I may be evil and call on cars I'm not really interested in to sneak a few more test drives and satisfy my cravings. LOL!
Old 03-31-2004, 03:01 AM
Dsalillas
Racer

Here's a link to the exact thread Renegade conversion kit FS

Form here you can navigate around "the other board".

Quick Reply: Looked at a potential 944 today: impressions, thoughts, and questions!