Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: People in California, need som advise/help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 09:57 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Question OT: People in California, need som advise/help!

I'm planning a trip to Ca this summer together with some friends.
We'll probably fly to San Francisco and rent a car and then go by Highway 1 down to LA.
Make some stops on the way, visit LA for a couple of days, make a short visit to Las Vegas etc.

The thing is we want to rent a good old classic US-car. Like a cab from the 70's in so-so condition
But the only old cars I can find to rent is in mint condition and costs about the same as a Ferrari to rent...

So now I need advice from you locals!
Is it possible to find such a car to rent anywhere?

Watch out for crazy Sweedes early August

Thanks a lot!
Gustaf
Old 03-30-2004, 10:35 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know about that - stuff in CA tends to be VERY expensive, especially when you're talking about tourism-related things. I doubt there'd be much incentive for a rental place to rent out "so-so" cars because then they'd have to deal with the hassles of people complaining about breakdowns, etc. It's probably more economically feasable to get very high quality older cars and rent those out - there are enough people for whom the cost isn't so much of an issue unfortunately.

You might check with some dealers - maybe they'd work with you. . . There's a place in (I think) Anaheim called "West Coast Corvettes" or "Classic Corvettes" or something that I believe MIGHT do rentals, but I'm not sure. Good luck in any event!
Old 03-30-2004, 11:17 AM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There used to be a place here called Rent a Heap Cheap. I just did a search on them and they left and are now in Pennsylvania. Sorry, can't give you any leads.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:25 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rent-A-Wreck? But I doubt even they'd have anything you'd consider classic. All the other stuff I can think of will costs ou $300/day plus miles -- so that's out. You'd be better off buying a car and dumping it afterwards.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:38 PM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

instead of looking from california, look from vegas theres a a ton of exotic/sports car rental places there. you may have to rearrange your trip a little but it will give you a little more choice. in anycase they're gonna charge the hell out of you for the mileage (at least 2k minimum). if i were in your shoes i'd spend the 2k on buying a 70's red caddie convertible and do it hunter s thompson/oscar acosta style (well less the ether and such)....and then sell it at pawn shop in vegas before you leave. i can guarantee that you'll have stories to remember from that adventure.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:50 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Thank's for the answers all!

It's the stories we're after
Buying a car on place is a fun idea I've been thinking about, but my concern is if it's even possible for a foreigner to buy a car?
I mean regarding insurance and such things..
Old 03-30-2004, 01:08 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About buying a cool car: sound like fun, but:
To drive a car legally, you need to have it registered and insured. The registration may require a smog test and a safety inspection, depending on the state. In any case, the whole procedure will take at least a few days, and longer if the car needs some repairs.
If you come for a vacation, waisting days on legal procedures is probably not the best idea.

It's just a though, but maybe you could find a person on this board/another board who would be willing to rent you his/her car privately for a fee. In this case you would avoid the time-consuming legal procedures.

good luck, Stan
Old 03-30-2004, 02:11 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Whatever you end up doing, Contact me, I'm in LA, I can show you some amazing roads, and I can also show you around etc... I'm sure I can get a meet going on one of the days you are here.
~Eyal
Old 03-31-2004, 08:59 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Eyal 951
Whatever you end up doing, Contact me, I'm in LA, I can show you some amazing roads, and I can also show you around etc... I'm sure I can get a meet going on one of the days you are here.
~Eyal
Thanks man!
I'll be in touch later on when the trip details are set.

Quick Reply: OT: People in California, need som advise/help!