Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autox rant

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 03:33 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Autox rant

I just got home and I check my resultys and it states I was of course 4 times ina row.....hmmmn..doubt it.....I have it on tape to to prove it....I posted consistently with 81 sec times, the first two times I was off course but four times? and I know for a fact people were saying off course when people had a choice of which way to do the figure eights and people jumped and said off course......I dont mean to bitch but I wouyld have liked to see my results seeing how I did fairly decent for my first autox out....

ahhh phooey-chris
Old 03-30-2004, 09:55 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

you probably went off course after the timing lights at the finish. i did that the first run, and every run at robert plan two years ago.

next time i will try to monitor the walkie talkes so I can tell you where you went off course if you do.

Remind me at registration to get you a novice number. i think we made all novices 600s. that should alert timing to send out an instructor which should help you find where you went wrong.

i forgot to flip the number on the car, so my afternoon times came in under adrials name. it's as if i wasn't there oh well.

On the other hand, the mullet did better than some 944s, and one 951 in particular DG. Not bad considering the condition of its tires.

Last edited by Tom R.; 03-30-2004 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:54 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At NNJR events, if you are off course, they announce it with a loud speaker, and they update the running board within 10 minutes of your last run. Granted, the running board is hand written, but I'd rather have timely and accurate numbers, than just a number flashing up on the screen that just shows the time you took to travel from gate to gate with NO indication of staying on course or going off course.

(Was that a run-on sentence?!?)

fty: come out on April 18th to the Meadowlands for NNJR's event. If you're going off course, we'll let ya know right away!

-Z.

PS: I'm not slamming Metro: they put on a great event! I just found that they should do something about informing a driver if he's off course.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:07 AM
Ken
Burning Brakes

I think a combination of both systems would be cool. I liked the large display of the time because sometimes it is difficult to hear the announcer and sometimes the times aren't called. But I really like the constantly updated timesheets. I think one solution to the OC for Metro would be to display the max time(9999.99). That would be pretty obvious that you went off course.

In a perfect world, there'd be a 42" plasma screen TV on the side of the timing trailer with a constantly updated spreadsheet that's linked directly to the timing equipment and the large outer display. Who's got cash to waste?
Old 03-30-2004, 11:22 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally posted by Ken
In a perfect world, there'd be a 42" plasma screen TV on the side of the timing trailer with a constantly updated spreadsheet that's linked directly to the timing equipment and the large outer display. Who's got cash to waste?
Don't forget the live video feed from the course! And we can add to that a wireless in-car camera as well.

Well, if we start charging the spectators NOW, we can have all this in place by 2025! I say it's worth the investment for them!!!

-Z-man, yeah, it's been WAY too long since I've been out on the track!!
Old 03-30-2004, 11:29 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

problem is metro's timing program is dos.

for some bizarre reason a radio near the timing box reset the box. go figure. I am going to suggest we post someone at the end of the course to tell people where they went wrong, and to send instructors.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:45 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally posted by Tom R.
for some bizarre reason a radio near the timing box reset the box. go figure. I am going to suggest we post someone at the end of the course to tell people where they went wrong, and to send instructors.
Ah ha! So that's how Adrial got a faster time than I did at last year's Zone 1!

Adrial: I'm calling you out! Your car had better be ready by April 18th - at NNJR we don't have radio controlled timers!!

-Z-man.

PS: For any Metro members out there, I hope you realize that I'm only messing with Adrial...
Old 03-30-2004, 11:45 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

You guys are right about not knowing if you go off course, thats the one thing I really think makes jersey better than metro NY.

The new leadership at metrony didn't go so well either, but hopefully he will get the hang of it...
Old 03-30-2004, 11:49 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Z-man
Ah ha! So that's how Adrial got a faster time than I did at last year's Zone 1!

Adrial: I'm calling you out! Your car had better be ready by April 18th - at NNJR we don't have radio controlled timers!!

-Z-man.

PS: For any Metro members out there, I hope you realize that I'm only messing with Adrial...
Yeah, that must've been it...us young'ens were hacking the system...muahahah

I can guarantee that the car wont be ready by April 18th unless you get the guys at powertech to do it for free.

Metro NY timers are wired, so it must have just been interference with the timer.

So uhh...Zoltan...you need a co-driver for April 18th? I promise not to be faster than you...
Old 03-30-2004, 12:10 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Adrial,
what did you and Yarin think of the staqing process? Initailly I didn't like it, but once i realized i could just park my car for about 45 minutes, i didn't mind.

I hope Ed changes the work details to either morning or afternoon, and puts all the non PCA members on in the morning. this way if they leave, they at least worked.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:12 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally posted by adrial
So uhh...Zoltan...you need a co-driver for April 18th? I promise not to be faster than you...
I dunno - my car's probably too slow for you. And without all that turbo-lag, you may get surprised by what we non-turbo boys call throttle response.

I think I can accomodate you possibly... lemme think about it.

-Z.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:46 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Turbo lag schmurbo lag. He learned what throttle response was driving the mullet. If he could handle the torque of the camanimal with it's super sticky dry rotted baloney skins over gravel, he can handle your wimpy four cylinder with those slippery R compunds!

it was a radio near the timing box that reset everything.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:19 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally posted by Tom R.
Turbo lag schmurbo lag. He learned what throttle response was driving the mullet. If he could handle the torque of the camanimal with it's super sticky dry rotted baloney skins over gravel, he can handle your wimpy four cylinder with those slippery R compunds!
Hey Tom: Bite ME! I mean that in the most loving way possible! How quickly you've forgotten your past...
Man with Mullet car:
it was a radio near the timing box that reset everything.
IIRC, Adrial did spend most of the time at the Zone 1 event hovering around the timing box with some type of radio in hand....

-Z-man.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:23 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

IIRC, Adrial did spend most of the time at the Zone 1 event hovering around the timing box with some type of radio in hand....

-Z-man.
It was just a flux capacitor I swear!!
Old 03-30-2004, 01:29 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey Tom: Bite ME! I mean that in the most loving way possible! How quickly you've forgotten your past...

-Z-man.
I have eight and you have four. Na Na Na! My motors bigger than yours.

I haven't forgotten my past. It haunts me every day. Make those voices stop please.

Quick Reply: Autox rant