Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I clean carbon off exhaust valves?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 09:52 PM
Steve Cooper
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I clean carbon off exhaust valves?

Pulled my 951's head apart, and now have time to start putting it back together.

I've got some white carbon build-up on the exhaust valves and am looking for the best way to clean them up.

What do you suggest?
Old 03-29-2004, 09:53 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My machine shop bead blasted the pistons to clean them up, I assume the same would work for valves.

Did you measure them to make sure that valve stems are within spec?
Old 03-29-2004, 10:09 PM
Steve Cooper
Racer

Adrial- good question. Stems are all in spec, guides and clearance as well. #1 exhaust had some fresh carbon build-up on the seat, but a quick test hand lap took that down nicely. Now it's a matter of cleaning up as much carbon as possible without heading to the machine shop. Shade tree as much as possible...

So now to remove all that white carbon:: oven cleaner? lightly, fine wire wheel on bench grinder? other solvents? wheel cleaner?
Old 03-29-2004, 10:15 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Take it to the shop and get new valve guides and seals in and have them clean it up. I did mine like this but I needed to have 4 valves put in since I bent them cost me 80-90$ and it came back nice and clean.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:23 PM
Steve Cooper
Racer

seb928s and Adrial, you guys in collusion with my local machine shop? Does this have something to do with the trilateralist commission or masonic practices?

I'd really like to do as much of the project myself as possible, including the head re-assembly. It's a mix of my being incredibly cheap and pigheaded about mastering skills.

So the search for the best/right technique to de-carbonize exhaust valves continues... BTW, my local machine shop says they would use the fine wire brush on the grinder method.

Old 03-30-2004, 12:34 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't bring a wire brush anywhere near any important component unless I know what its made out of (the part you're cleaning that is...not the wire brush)

I tested out a wire brush drill/dremel/whatever attachment on the carbon deposits on a junk piston and it pretty much destroyed the piston (lots of gashes in that piston now).

I would start with something very gentle and work your way up.

Do you have any junk valves you could play around with?

I ended up just bring it all to a machine shop because I didn't have the time to do it all myself. You're learning more than I am by doing more of it yourself.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:46 PM
savannah944
Advanced

I went to a GM/Pontiac dealership and got their "top engine cleaner". Let it soak for awhile and everything wipes right off with a paper towel. A large can was only like ten dollars.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:57 PM
OVERBOOST
Rennlist Member

Default CARBON DETERGENT CASSEROLE

LIQUID LAUNDRY DETERGENT (I use tide) Shade tree trick.
Use a large glass casserole dish, pour enough to cover the valves upto the stems. Wait a few days and it should remove all of the carbon. Rotate them once in a while, you will see the carbon coming off.

Last edited by OVERBOOST; 03-30-2004 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:03 PM
Steve Cooper
Racer

Default Re: CARBON DETERGENT CASSEROLE

Originally posted by OVERBOOST
LIQUID LAUNDRY DETERGENT (I use tide)
Use a large glass casserole dish, pour enough to cover the valves upto the stems. Wait a few days and it should remove all of the carbon. Rotate them once in a while, you will see the carbon coming off.

Now you have me wondering if Spring Fresh scented Tide will rejuvenate my old valve springs?
Old 03-30-2004, 03:21 PM
oi-punx
Racer

Steve,

Sorry about the off topic but it looks like you got the advice needed for your valves.

I just saw the description of your FJ40 in your signature. A friend of mine has an '83 FJ40 Landcruiser (last year of that body style) and an 85, both fully restored. The '83 gets attention like nobody's business. I've received WAY more looks and stares riding 2 miles down the street in his Toyota then i've seem even Ferraris get around here. You are correct it has no HP but the torque is very nice. They are also built very well. He gets offers from people wanting to buy it all the time.

Old 03-30-2004, 03:33 PM
Steve Cooper
Racer

Originally posted by oi-punx
Steve,

Sorry about the off topic but it looks like you got the advice needed for your valves.

I just saw the description of your FJ40 in your signature. A friend of mine has an '83 FJ40 Landcruiser (last year of that body style) and an 85, both fully restored. The '83 gets attention like nobody's business. I've received WAY more looks and stares riding 2 miles down the street in his Toyota then i've seem even Ferraris get around here. You are correct it has no HP but the torque is very nice. They are also built very well. He gets offers from people wanting to buy it all the time.
I'm still open to hearing about other alternatives to valve clean-up; still haven't had anyone chime in with annecdotes about oven cleaner---

anyway back to the off-topic.

That silly FJ. Just yesterday, a guy at the Capitola Mall was out taking pictures of my parked FJ. He told me he had one when it was new, had to sell it when kids came along, and now regrets that choice. He hadn't seen one as nice as mine since he bought his new at the dealer back in 79. That was quite a compliment! Anyway, those comments are typical of what the FJ evokes. It's akin to an original mini-cooper. An entry of quirky cool. But with a big helping of ultra-tough on the side. Too bad it gets about the same mileage as my old Pantera- 12-15 mpg; and too bad it tops out at about 65 mph, otherwise I'd drive it up to next bay area get-together

Quick Reply: How do I clean carbon off exhaust valves?