Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where did this bolt come from...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 05:37 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Where did this bolt come from...

A few months ago i took the engine pan off the car to find a large bolt laying in it. Too be completley honest, i shrugged it off and still have not had any problems out of the norm. Stupid i know...but i was a bit more ignorant then than i am now.

Now last year i had a problem with what i believe was the exhaust rattling intermittenly (Say every 2-3 seconds) at idle and when reving the engine. I welded a small peice of metal that with a rubber bushing on it and bolted the other end of the metal peice to the frame to stop the rattle for the time being. It was meant to be a temporary fix, but i never got it fixed completley. The rattles are back as the bracket i welded on broke off (probably from this winters temperatures and my not so good welding abilities at the time). I examined the exhaust manifold closer to see one of the bolts has become loose by about 3 or 4 threads. I am going back out to the parking lot in a few minutes with an attempt to tighten them up to see if it resolves the problem. Does this bolt i found belong to anything with the exhaust?

Here is the bolt next to a quarter for size comparison. The bolt fits into a 14mm and a 9/16th socket, but i could not find an exact fit for it.

Old 03-28-2004, 05:54 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never seen a bolt with a 14mm head on a 944. It looks pretty fine pitched are you sure it's even metric? If it's not, it didn't come from the car.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:16 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thats what i was thinking...im trying to remember if i found the bolt just lying in the driveway or on the engine pan. I have a feeling it may have just been under the car when i was working on it...so i assumed it fell out from the pan. Probably belongs to my sisters old Dodge Raider. I did alot of work on that car in the spot i was parked in.

What is the socket size for the exhast manifold flange bolts? It was a little tough to get too using the tools i had (only a 156 piece Channel Lock set i bought cheap at Sam's Club). I managed to tighten it up a little with a 3inch ext. and 14mm short socket, though i wasnt able to tighten it much due to the angle i was at. That seems to have solved the rattle..though i wasnt able to go for a test drive.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:15 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps from your A/C compressor.

Don't ask how I know......
Old 03-28-2004, 07:31 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car usings M8 nuts and bolts on the exhaust, that's a 13mm head.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:18 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like an exhaust bolt but none on our 944 cars are 14mm. Probably from your sisters car.

Quick Reply: Where did this bolt come from...