Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got my belts on today!!! and stuff....

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 01:45 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default got my belts on today!!! and stuff....

so i got up bright and early today around 11:00am and headed over to the garage to get started on my car- yes my car- to do some seals and belts. After about three hours of struggling with that really really tight crank bolt, and three ratchets later, i finally got the bolt out, and found out where my leak was coming from, the lower seal was shot! I replaced the front seals, all four of the belts, and inspected everything and man, this car is in pretty good shape. Got her running and all is well, runs well, nice and cool as usual, and only cost me maybe $200.00. That criket tool was a life saver. Tomorrow i will have to pressure wash under the front of the car to get off all of the rotella that is dripping off the frame from my oil leak since i bought the car. I also will be replacing for the second time the sway bar bushings in the front since they are soaked again.

Thanks for nine44, chris924s and son, and dales944 for coming out to help and drink some beers, and we had a nice little bonzai cruise afterwards on some twisties not far from the house. Thanks to pete for some specs over the phone at the last minute, and hey, thanks to clark's garage for some valuble TDC advice via his website! These things are really easier than most think to do the belts, i dont understand why more people dont do their own.

NEXT STEP!!!

i want to buy some redline race fluid for the trans....
What weight do i need for the 5speed???

Who has the best deal on good braided brakelines and super blue brakefluid?

while im at it, anyone have a set of 140lb factory springs setting around, still heavier than stock 924 springs for "project 924" operation springtime.
Attached Images  
Old 03-28-2004, 01:56 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on the belt job - lollipop for the DIY'er, Doc!

Correct weight in Redline variety is MT90 (GL4), though you can also use 75W90NS (GL5, for non-LSD). A lot of info and discussion in the archives on this one.

Hmm, Redline fluid, SS brake lines, Ate SuperBlue... I know a place

Also, strangely enough, I have several sets of used 944, 944 Turbo and 944S2 springs available. Email me if interested - in my sig.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:27 AM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You didn't let Chris do anything besides drink beer did you?
Old 03-28-2004, 08:25 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

So, no rollers or waterpump? Are you doing these on the next change?

I did a lot of reading on this GL4/GL5 thing. Here's a Pennzoil technical bulliten on the subject:

http://www.pzlqs.com/Tech/Bulletin//...l/pdf/g14c.pdf

It's extremely hard to find GL4 gear oil (non synthetic) in small bottles. You can order 5 gallon jugs of the stuff (then you probably have a lifetime supply). NAPA sells this (slightly higher weight than I would like:

"Sta-Lube Gear Oil - Automotive -- Sta-Lube GL-4 Multi-Purpose Gear Oil SAE 85W90,SAE 85W90,32 fl oz"

Otherwise, the Redline stuff may be your only option.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:08 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by triscadek
You didn't let Chris do anything besides drink beer did you?
.. I helped..myself to a beer- Thanks Dale!.

You are really helping out my street cred.. !! Just for that I'm doing your belts next buddy..

I didnt do this though.. What a stubborn friggin crank bolt. Must have been torqued around 2 MILLION ft.lbs.. enough to shear a Craftsman breaker bar AND a Snap-On 1/2 " socket wrench. Next time we get a flywheel lock and a spanner though..
Old 03-28-2004, 11:10 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well, the rollers and waterpump were all changed on the last service, so i figured they will be due again on my next service....hopefully not soon.

Quick Reply: got my belts on today!!! and stuff....