Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch ruined by coolant leak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 05:06 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On my son's '86, we relocated the heater control valve to the front of the engine just like my '89. All you have to do is cut the hard pipe that runs above the exhaust manifolds to the rear of the car. We took about an inch off the front of it, cut it almost to the first braket. Left enough room to get a good bite of hose aqnd clamp. After cutting, I used a flaring tool to put a small lip on the pipe so the hose could go over it and the clamp could secure it better. Once you take the heater valve off the rear of the engine, the hose that comes out of the heater core at the firewall should be long enough to attach to the back of the head at the nipple. Then just run a length of vacuum line to the valve and you are set.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:11 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can see the valve in front of the PS reservoir.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:14 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, aribop, but my 83 has a cable controlled valve, so I'll have to stay closer to the back. Nice pictures. The engine is really clean.

Maybe I can get it to the right side of the engine. I am going to replace the heater hoses while I'm at it, even if I have to take the heater completely out of the car.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:11 AM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finished replacing the clutch Sunday, and I just wanted to add closure to the thread.

The pilot bearing was not siezed and the drive shaft removed easily. However, it was very rough and after sitting a couple of days, the bearing was frozen. I suspect it was out of grease and full of water so that it rusted.

The clutch plate was pretty much worn out. Little lining above the rivets. The rubber hub was torn badly, but still attached. When I removed the bellhousing, a lot of junk fell out. The pressure plate was also scored. The flywheel was scored, too, but I took it to a machine shop and they ground a nice surface on it.

Anyway, I replaced the pilot bearing, the clutch plate, the pressure plate, the pivot needle bearing, and all of those bolts.

So I'm not sure if the pilot bearing was siezing or the part of the deteriorating hub jammed the plates. Either way, the clutch was ripe for replacement. It works great now.

Thanks to all who helped me diagnose the problem and convince me replace the clutch. It was the right thing to do.

Steve
Old 04-21-2004, 08:07 AM
Mr. Avionics
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve,
Yea, thats what happened to mine, "CHUNKS" jamed the clutch till they burnt up, still had alot of "Chunks" floating about when we removed the clutch yesterday. Going back together today.
Congrats on the good fix.
Bill

Quick Reply: Clutch ruined by coolant leak?