Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo Cable

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004 | 01:33 PM
BigArn
Intermediate

Default Speedo Cable

Anybody ever replace a speedo cable before. I just got one and was wondering what's involved. I've had the dash off before, just trying to figure what I'm up against
Thanks
Old 03-26-2004 | 01:47 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Well the cable runs through the firewall to the left front wheel. The cable runs into the wheel hub and sticks out from a dustcap where it should be secured by a large E-clip (you know the things that are a PITA to take on an off....). You will need to remove the dustcap and the clamp which is loosened with a hex key (not sure what this is called). The dustcap you just pry off with a large screwdriver. You will then need to just pull the cable out from the opposite end. Replacing the cable is relativley straight foward. You will need to route the cable from the inside of the cabin, i recommend taping the new cable to the old cable so its easier to fish through the firewall.

Make your life easier by pulling the steering wheel off. Its a odd shaped socket, you may need to buy it. 24mm i believe. The hardest part will be screwing the cable into the back of the speedo...likley the hardest part. Make sure their are no kinks or anything in the cable and that you use long sweeping turns. May be a good time to repack the wheel bearings.
Old 03-26-2004 | 02:40 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

I did mine when i broke the clamp from it to the speedo. Its a very easy job, also Techno mentioned take off the steering wheel and then remove your gauge cluster. Be careful with all the wires as they are old and can crack! Then just follow the cable thru the firewall under the hood and down to the wheel.

Good Luck! It's a pretty simple job!
Erich
Old 03-26-2004 | 10:43 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

I replaced my cable last year after it broke. I removed the instrument panel and attached it to the speedometer, then routed the cable through the firewall. On the engine side, the cable goes through a large, molded gromet. I pushed and pulled trying to get the cable through the gromet. Finally, I realized that it was easier to removed the gromet and slide the cable through.

The cable goes through the wheel spindle. The inner square wire goes into a square hole in the dust cap and secured with an "E" clip. I lost the clip but found that a standard 1/8 " clip works fine.

BTW, you shouldn't have to remove the dust cap. If you remove the spindle nut ( the clamp with a allen screw) then you'll need to re-adjust the wheel bearing.
Old 03-27-2004 | 12:02 AM
Dales944
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Techno Duck
The hardest part will be screwing the cable into the back of the speedo...
Or in my case, UNscrewing the old cable!!! After 20 years, the cable gets pretty comfortable on there.

All these replies contain great advice. I did not remove my dust cap, but it was quite tricky to get the square end of the new cable lined directly up with the square hole in the dust cap. Maybe it would have been easier to remove it, maybe not. That's your call.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Dale.
Old 03-27-2004 | 12:39 AM
Steve 4001
Advanced

Unscrewing the cable is a major PITA, I just got frusterated and cut the cable, then pulled out the whole speedo. Screwing it in is another huge PITA, It helped me to pull the steering wheel and screw the cable in with the speedo out, then have someone help you feed the cable through the engine bay and to the wheel.

good luck
Old 03-27-2004 | 01:44 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Pull the front wheel.

Take the clip off of the square end of the cable.

Reach behind the spindle and pull the whole thing out from the spindle.

Tie a heavy fishing line or cord to the end.

Pull the steering wheel and the gauges.

Disconnect the cable from the speedo.

Pull the cable and sheath through the fire wall.

Tie the chord/line to the end of the new cable/sheath.

Pull it back through the dash and through the engine compartment down to the back side of the spindle.

Scew the cable to the speedo being careful that the square end fits into the speedo input shaft.

Change any burnt out bulbs in the gauges.

Put the gauges back in.

Put the steering wheel back on lining it up with the Sharpie pen mark.

Stick the cable through the spindle and see if you can match it up with the cover.

Put the clip back on and cover the end with some putty to keep the water out.

Put the wheel back on. Lower the car.
Old 03-27-2004 | 09:02 AM
BigArn
Intermediate

Thank you all very much. I just love the site.
Old 03-27-2004 | 09:24 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

a hint for cable routing..

Pull the steering wheel. Pull the speedo out.
CUT the speedo cable near the speedo.

Electrical tape the new cable nipple to the cut off end in the cabin. Get about 2" or more of tape wrapped on each end. Pull through the firewall.

This may save you an hour or so of fishing the cable thru the firewall.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: Speedo Cable