Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Bearing Race Install & Tool Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 08:33 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Seattle 993
Guys, I was going to go this route some time ago. Took the hubs and races to a local shop. They dropped the hubs into a bath, heated them up, the old races dropped out, new races installed without the races being frozen. $20 USD. I insisted to pay them more, they said no, it literally took them a few minutes, most of the time was being heated and cleaned in the bath. Best part, my turbo S hubs were clean, undamaged by forcing things, and are perfect. Maybe there is a shop near you who can do the same thing?
I would love to find a place like this. I paid a guy $50 A HUB to remove & press races that are on my car now (I installed the hubs of course). We don't get the same service so easy around here
Old 01-07-2021, 09:03 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
Oh.. you know Jurgen alright: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EngMzIImtZk (Watch 1/2 way through)

Dare I ask.. what do you use the angle grinder for??
Oh *that* Jurgen!

Well I did something similar to try and press control arm bushings. The problem was, the rod snapped in two. So I thought, I know, I'll use a grade 8 threaded rod. That won't break, right? Well as the saying goes, now I had 2 problems. Instead of snapping, the threads simply stripped, leaving me with the bushing half way in and no way to remove my ridiculous broken DIY press. But since I used a grade 8 rod and nut, there was no cutting them off with a hacksaw. So I had to go shopping for an angle grinder just to get back to square one!

Of course this didn't happen to Jurgen because he's not an idiot like me, and I see he specifically mentions in the video that he knows the threaded rod is good for 5 tons or something. The one I used was probably an Ace Hardware 10mm threaded rod or something like that.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:21 PM
Seattle 993
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Any transmission shop would be able to do it easily. They regularly clean transmission cases, etc. Or a radiator shop maybe. I didn’t want to damage turbo S hubs, they are really difficult to replace.

In any case, good luck. It was just an idea that I thought you might be able to take advantage of.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:24 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

"...leaving me with the bushing half way in and no way to remove my ridiculous broken DIY press."

Too funny! In retrospect that is lol

Ok.. now to find a suitable fine-pitch 16 x 1.5 "spindle" that can take 5 tons...
Old 01-07-2021, 09:25 PM
Karrera Coupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I used the same kind of bearing kit for my front wheel bearing job. I heated the hubs and cooled the new races before tapping the races in. I used a stout hammer and had to wack pretty hard before the sound of my hammering changed indicating that the race was seated. So like @thomasmryan the sound change was my indicator that the race is in place.
I do remember that I had to support the hub on a very hard and sturdy surface before my hammering started to count. I used a steel plate on a concrete floor. There must be no give in that surface otherwise the support absorbs the hammer blows rather moving the race into the hub. Good luck.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:29 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Originally Posted by Seattle 993
Any transmission shop would be able to do it easily. They regularly clean transmission cases, etc. Or a radiator shop maybe. I didn’t want to damage turbo S hubs, they are really difficult to replace.

In any case, good luck. It was just an idea that I thought you might be able to take advantage of.
I haven't had much luck walking into shops around here asking for anything. They are either very busy, want big money, or just don't want you around. It's a big city with few places I guess. Or maybe I'm just not going to the right part of town. Yes, good idea but it seems here you have to "know" somebody... which I don't. Transmission shop is a good tip though. Might try and walk into one of those.. if I can find them!
Old 01-07-2021, 09:48 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
"...leaving me with the bushing half way in and no way to remove my ridiculous broken DIY press."

Too funny! In retrospect that is lol

Ok.. now to find a suitable fine-pitch 16 x 1.5 "spindle" that can take 5 tons...
What I ultimately ended up using for the control arm bushing was something like this.

Basically the same thing I tried to make, done properly. I may or may not have availed of Harbor Freight's unofficial "tool rental" program
Old 01-10-2021, 11:25 AM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Dan, when I did my front bearings I put the races in the freezer for a few days. I'm not sure if 1hr will "shrink" them enough. With my hubs heated in the oven and frozen races, mine literally dropped in with a slight tap of the hammer and bearing driver like the one you're using. You shouldn't have to grind anything.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:18 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 539 Posts

I'm really just reading this to learn but I also think that similar to what @951Tom said, cold will be your friend.

You're most of the way there at this time of year with where you live but I think that if you put the races into some dry ice for a bit you'll have an even easier job. Might save you some aggravation and pounding on parts.

Good luck
Old 01-10-2021, 12:42 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by 951Tom
Dan, when I did my front bearings I put the races in the freezer for a few days. I'm not sure if 1hr will "shrink" them enough. With my hubs heated in the oven and frozen races, mine literally dropped in with a slight tap of the hammer and bearing driver like the one you're using. You shouldn't have to grind anything.
What is the oven temperature setting?
Old 01-10-2021, 01:20 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

I have decided to make the Jürgen Press. I can drill out the centres of the key bearing install pieces I have and then source the proper threaded rod with nut. Not so easy atm with the lockdown but I'm in no hurry.

I like the press a lot; I don't turn wrenches for a living or work in a mechanical fashion and just don't have experienced hands for the hammer in this application. The press seems much more forgiving! Plus it's very by-the-book.

These are spare hubs so I have some time. Running an old car requires a machine shop lol
Old 01-11-2021, 10:54 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

T&T Racing, can't remember exactly but I think 150-200F for an hour+. I remember I had to use the wife's oven mitt to handle it and she wasn't too thrilled about it all lol

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearing Race Install & Tool Issue