Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn does not work after installing aftermarket Grant steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 07:16 PM
esanmiguel
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn does not work after installing aftermarket Grant steering wheel

I bought some aftermarket steering wheel and hub adapter which are both made by Grant. I am not able to get my horn to work. The back of the hub adapter looks like its made out of copper. Does the back of the adapter need to touch the metal ring that surrounds the steering wheel hub? If so, then my adapter is about half an inch too short in even reaching that ring.

Also, does that metal "ring" around the steering wheel hub supposed to be flat and flushed? Mine has one part of the ring sticking out. I am not sure if this is normal or not. I attached a crude picture showing what I am talking about.

Also, there is one wire that comes from the Grant hub that I attached to the horn button. I am guessing that once I make my adapter hub contact the metal "ring" I will get circuitry and my horn will work?
I searched the archives and could not find this answer..
Old 03-24-2004, 07:17 PM
esanmiguel
Burning Brakes

Here is the drawing:
Old 03-24-2004, 07:23 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha!
nice
Old 03-24-2004, 07:44 PM
Joe Jackson
Pro

Default Re: Horn does not work after installing aftermarket Grant steering wheel

Originally posted by esanmiguel
I am guessing that once I make my adapter hub contact the metal "ring" I will get circuitry and my horn will work?
I searched the archives and could not find this answer..
This is correct. My horn stopped working when the metal strip wore through due to no grease between the contact point of the strip and copper ring. Make sure you add a little bit.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:52 PM
a.n.other
Instructor

the horn can also not work if it is not grounded properly through the steering wheel. Get a multimeter and make sure there is 12V to your copper bit shown on your picture and that the centre of the steering wheel is grounded.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:59 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Does your middle finger still work? Yes? Don't worry about the horn.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:13 PM
esanmiguel
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Re: Horn does not work after installing aftermarket Grant steering wheel

Originally posted by Joe Jackson
This is correct. My horn stopped working when the metal strip wore through due to no grease between the contact point of the strip and copper ring. Make sure you add a little bit.
Question is, does the copper ring around the steering column supposed to be flat? As my drawing indicates, the 3 o'clock position of the copper ring is raised..
Old 03-24-2004, 08:29 PM
Joe Jackson
Pro

Default Re: Re: Re: Horn does not work after installing aftermarket Grant steering wheel

Yes it does need/is supposed to be raised in order to make contact with the coper ring on the steering wheel. Even with the stock wheel, there is a slight gap there and the raised copper strip takes up that gap.

Originally posted by esanmiguel
Question is, does the copper ring around the steering column supposed to be flat? As my drawing indicates, the 3 o'clock position of the copper ring is raised..
Old 03-24-2004, 08:31 PM
esanmiguel
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Horn does not work after installing aftermarket Grant steering wheel

Originally posted by Joe Jackson
Yes it does need/is supposed to be raised in order to make contact with the coper ring on the steering wheel. Even with the stock wheel, there is a slight gap there and the raised copper strip takes up that gap.
Ok, now i feel better. Thanks for answering my question!

Quick Reply: Horn does not work after installing aftermarket Grant steering wheel