Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Auto X Mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004 | 04:16 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally posted by Z-man

Agreed! Of course, there's my wife's approach: "I really don't know how long that tire's been flat... I did hit a pot hole real hard a couple of days ago..."
-Z.

PS: Don't EVER tell Mrs. Z-man I said that!

(that's ok, when we were in college, Renee drove her car for 6 months with the red light on in the center of the gauges. It finally stopped running. I asked her what the light said, and she said ""oil", is that bad?". uh huh.)
Old 03-23-2004 | 04:32 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Lawn Gnome
Is there anything like autoX's or DE's that people under 18 can do? It seems like you have to be over 18 for every PCA event.
I don't know about PCA events (having not done any yet.....I know I'm working on that) but when I was 17 or so I did a good number of BMW car club events, mostly DE's and an autoX here and there. I know they're not picky about what kind of car you drive at them either. BMW CCA member have priority in getting into the events though. I think they have some special courses for younger drivers too? They're more classroom and less track time, so not as much fun though.
Old 03-23-2004 | 04:39 PM
Dave
Race Car

Originally posted by Z-man
Agreed! Of course, there's my wife's approach: "I really don't know how long that tire's been flat... I did hit a pot hole real hard a couple of days ago..."
-Z.

PS: Don't EVER tell Mrs. Z-man I said that!
Hey Z, Do I really have to go all the way to the tech tonight?? You could just sign me off, right?
Old 03-23-2004 | 05:37 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by SEAN MCMANUS
good idea .. but understand that DE's are NOT going to make you any better of an AutoX'er.. they are two toatally different styles of driving..
it will simply put you more in tune with your car.
DE's made me a better autocrosser, and autocrossing made me better at DE's. But maybe I was doing something wrong.

BB.
Old 03-23-2004 | 06:18 PM
AWolf
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is there anything like autoX's or DE's that people under 18 can do? It seems like you have to be over 18 for every PCA event.
If you do not have access to a car or the ability to drive it on a track then your best bet is cart racing. There are many very good drivers who started out in cart racing and it helps you to develop good technique. I was corner working events before I was able to drive in them and that gave me some good input into how the cars handled on an autox track.

-Andrew

Last edited by AWolf; 04-25-2004 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-25-2004 | 11:26 PM
joekr
AutoX

Check out your local SCCA region (in MD, you are probably in the Washington D.C. region http://www.wdcr-scca.org/). If you have a driver's license and get a minor waiver form signed by BOTH parents, you should be able to compete in Solo II autocrosses. If you print the form off the web, be sure to make two copies--one to turn in for their files and one to keep in your possession. Check with the WDCR Chief of Registration for more details or local restrictions. Then have fun!
Old 04-26-2004 | 03:50 AM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Under 18?

Speed Freakz membership through the SCCA, and volunteer at whatever events you can. There's actually a lot more interesting things to learn besides driving your car! Learning how the events are run is a very good idea, and pulling the ears of more experiences track-goers never hurts.

Maybe if you know of someone who races, go help as a "crew man." That's kind of fun, even for me. Sometimes your'e just too tired to drive, your car isn't running up to snuff, etc so it's nice to help out another team and you still get involved even though you aren't driving.

Quick Reply: 944 Auto X Mods