Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running hotter after water pump change - questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 12:45 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I did my water pumps/thermostats I always noticed it ran a little bit hotter at first. I think that the thermostat breaks in (for lack of a better word) and starts opening a bit sooner as it gets older.

The thermostat works by blocking the cold coolant coming from the radiator, it dithers the coolant flow until the coolant is all up to operating temperature. On some cars you can actually see the temperature gauge react when the thermostat opens.

The thermostat is also not a binary device (open or closed), it opens a varying amount based on the temperature.

You're good now, don't worry about it.

There is only 3 degrees C difference between the thermostats. You won't notice a difference.

Dal.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:08 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Dal Heger

There is one even easier way to fill a cooling system with 0% chance of trapped air, but you need an air compressor to pull a vacuum in the cooling system, but I won't get into that.

I'd like you to get into that.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:13 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

You can plug the fans in backwards, however the fans being in backwards will not lead to running a little hot, it will lead to overheating.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:25 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by 944pete
I'd like you to get into that.
You can empty the system, then use this tester/filler to pull a vacuum in the cooling system, then you basically put the hose end of the filler into a bucket of new coolant and release the valve, it'll suck up all the coolant into the system and you're virtually guaranteed no air in the system (since it was all sucked out).

The other nice thing of using a system like this is that you can also test to see if your cooling system has any leaks. Just leave the tester in place for a while and see if the reading on the gauge moves.

Dal.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:08 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally posted by SidViscous
You can plug the fans in backwards, however the fans being in backwards will not lead to running a little hot, it will lead to overheating.
I need to re-check this as well. I had the whole fan assembly removed when I had to drill and rethread two of the water pump bolt holes.

I thought the connectors were keyed, but I wasn't really paying attention. I guess I could see if a sheet of paper sticks to the bumper side of the radiator when the fans are on.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:55 AM
NICK G.
Instructor

I have a question for you guys. when i first got my car every one said to change the belts ,so i did and also the water pump and the thermostat and it seemed like it got a little hotter.So now after about a year I have replaced the thermostat,water pump,all hoses and clamps a new radiator,two new fans a new shroud and I have bleed the radiator two or three times and I am still getting HOT.I just can't figure it out. Know I am getting ready to have a lower thermostat installed.Any other idea's, I really could use the right answer thanks NICK

Quick Reply: Running hotter after water pump change - questions...