Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looked at a 951 On E-Bay - Observations

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 11:25 PM
DMan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looked at a 951 On E-Bay - Observations

Drove up to Ramsey today to take a look at this car:

Link to Ebay

In case anyone is interested, here are my observations.

-When started the car, it sounded like a diesel. Major manifold leak.
-Engine rocks quite a bit, I'm sure the mounts are shot. Probably what shook apart the manifold.
-Body below average. Dent on front, and paint is average at best.
-Transmission seems ok. Heard a humming noise near back of the car when I depressed the clutch.
-It was pretty cold today, so I'm not sure how well it works, but the AC compressor kicked on.
-Needs an alignment badly. Doesn't track straight. When traveling straight, must hold wheel off center.
-It felt reasonably strong, and engine smoothed out and became more quiet at higher RPM's. Never drove a 951 before, so I don't have a real frame of reference.
-No records, so will need immediate T-belt/waterpump/etc....

One other observation... I know I'm not a tall guy (5'7"), but I needed to put my jacket behind my back in order to reach the pedals. It just seemed like the seat didn't go up far enough... I felt like a kid sitting on a phone book trying to reach the table... Is this normal????

I think I may offer $3500, but no more. It will take a bucketload of cash to get this car up to snuff...

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for listening...

Dave

Old 03-18-2004, 11:33 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The front bolts for the seats are probably not all the way down so the seat wont go all the way forward.

Probably needs a set of headers, I suspect that is the manifold of which you speak
Sounds like trans is on its last legs
Probably needs struts
Should pull like a freight train in 3rd, there are other listers why not aks them for a ride/drive
Add 1K for timing belt, water pump, etc.

If it is going to take that much to bring it where you want it then pass a buy a nicer one. Nothing worse than looking at one in the garage, ask me how I know.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:34 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I was just browsing ebay and saw that one. I'd pass on that. It looks like it was treated rough. These cars don't react well to that. There are plenty deals to be had. You can find a better car in that price range.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:39 PM
DMan
Intermediate

Yeah... I agree. I'd pretty much already made up my mind to pass on this one... Someone didn't love her.... I got the impression that she was handled badly. If they can do that sort of external damage, I can only imagine what the internals look like.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:56 PM
Bones944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's not worth much, what a shame
Old 03-19-2004, 12:34 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If that's really 65k miles, that is a downright shame...very rough shape. Plus it's black, and everything shows (believe me I know). Maybe the asking price is low, but tack on TB/WP, manifold, tranny and/or clutch, paint job....you're gonna be paying what you would for a good example.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:35 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

There seems to be an exhaust leak, and the engine runs a little rough, may need a tune-up.
Hey guys, just so you know it MAY need a tune-up.
Old 03-21-2004, 02:13 AM
DMan
Intermediate

It's up to over $4K now.

Definitely not worth it. It was used, and abused.

Very sad actually.

On another note, I decided to go to the darkside.... I just purchased a 1996 BMW 328is. Very nice car.... Not exactly a 951, but it does the job rather well, and it's a bit more baby friendly.. Wife is due in August with our first.

I still plan on lurking on the board though. Best automotive board out there... Only one that compares is the miataforum, which is also excellent.

Thanks For all the help.

Cheers
Dave
Old 03-21-2004, 02:21 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife is a little over 5 foot 2 inches. She can adjust the seat to fit her. She also can get a mean streak when she drives this car. Several people at her work will not go out to lunch with her if she has the 951. So I guess she is comfortable with the seat position.

Quick Reply: Looked at a 951 On E-Bay - Observations