Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few questions for a n00b... please?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 02:52 AM
Driv300mph
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few questions for a n00b... please?

Just bought 1986 951.. have a few questions....

What is a proven turbo for track racing?

What is the widest width rims in 17" that will fit under stock turbo body?

I have 6 16x7 phone dials for sale... if anyone is interested, e-mail Driv200mph@aol.com

Looking at super 75 Turbo, Mass Air-flow, larger injectors with lindsey racing. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:18 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

1. Is this going to be a dedicated track car? What tracks? What condition is the motor in now? There are a large number of factors when it comes to turbo selection. Let us know what you want your car to do, and someone will be more than happy to let you know a few turbo choices to look into.

2. Widest rims I know of on the front were 10" with 275's. He did rub slightly on corners. I think Danno was running 11.5" 335's on his rears with no issues.. 11" can easily fit with the proper offsets.

3. Good to know.

4. Lindsey is a good tuner.

By the way, welcome to the list.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:34 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Hey Driv... Welcome to Rennlist! Now that you have a 951, become a full-fledged member and throw some pics into a thread and create an avatar for yourself Seriously, keep supporting this forum and it will keep supporting you!

Sorry to go off-topic for a quick sec here, but Perry, I'll be headed through Atlanta on my way home in the beginning days of May. I'll have to let you know when. I'd love to meet up with you if you're up for it!

EDIT: Ok, I feel bad not saying anything relevant to the thread. Another factor to consider is budget for the power upgrades.

More importantly, if this is a track car, make sure to upgrade the braking side first. I recommend a minimum upgrade of Super 600 or similar 600 degree racing brake fluid (hell, I'm planning on replacing my Dot 3 with it it's so good!) and a racing compound pad by Performance Friction or your favorite company. Look into locations for brake ducting and Naca ducts as they will save your rear by keeping the rotors all that much cooler.

Another consideration, and even more complex and expensive is handling. Consider different suspension mods to compliment you extra power. Replace all your bushings with eurethanes and regrease. The basics would be camber places (Monoball) in the front linked by a strut tower brace (Weltmeister Cambermeister) and a brace in the rear. After asessing how you want the car to feel, upgrade the sway bars... I could go on forever on suspension here. I'll stop with the basics here.

Upgrade the rolling stock obviously. Find a good race mechanic in your area and get the car's corner weight's balanced, the camber set, the caster set (depending if you get the camber/caster plates), as well as an alignment with according front toe-out and rear toe-in (plenty of threads on this topic alone). Lighten up all you can in the car and go race!!

...If you are looking for a street upgrade... ughh... well I dunno, people will chime in Good luck!!
Old 03-15-2004, 04:24 AM
Driv300mph
Track Day

oh... thanks for the reply...

But the thing is, the suspension is all Kokelin... full adjustable suspension. The car has about $30,000 or so invested... so it's a good runner. Brakes are already upgraded, huge breaks, excellent stopping power. My bro (the guy who owns it) also owns a Z06... he put 996 Rotors on his vette

I've driven both though... Z06 is faster, but the Turbo feels faster just cause you can feel the boost. I dunno, different style of driving for both cars.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:23 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Very nice! Yeah, I know what you mean by the feel difference... turbo boost is deceiving sometimes. I've only driven one 2001 Z06 that was slightly modified... unfortuately it was too short of a drive to compare it to anything
Old 03-15-2004, 10:53 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driv300mph: What kinda background do you have? Any track experience?
If not, you already have much more car than you can handle on the track! IE: You don't need any upgrades!

So, if you are fairly NEW to track driving, may I offer the following:

The best way to learn to drive a car on a track is to start with a basically stock car. Obviously, your car is far from stock, so you gotta work with what you have! That said...

Also: get some track driving experience under your belt: join PCA and attend DE events: they are basically non-competitive high-speed driving events held on racetracks. Passing is only allowed in certain zones, and corners aren't contested. It does offer great exposure to the track, as well as good seat time.

The first suggestion I have for you is to set your fully adjustable suspension to as soft a setting as possible. This way, the car will be more stable on bumps, and not as jittery around the corners. Obviously a super-stiff suspension will get you around the corners quicker, but if you're just learning how to drive the car, it's better soft. Be especially careful to make sure the front is less stiff than the rear. Too stiff in the front and you'll just have massive understeer.

Second: don't worry about power upgrades. Your engine has plenty of power even in stock form! You've already got the biggest improvement possible: and upgraded suspension.

Third: IMHO, you don't need bigger brakes! I've got the same size brakes on my 944S2, and they work very, very well on a track driven car. Many people get bigger brakes because they feel their brakes are not effective after 15 minutes on the track. The problem isn't with their brakes, it's with the way they are braking. Learn brake management and you won't have a problem with your stock brakes!

Fourth: if you are going to get into club racing, make sure you understand what modifications are allowed in the class you wish to run. Most likely with your suspesion mods, you will run in the prepared or probably modified classes, (GT-something in PCA) where you won't be competitive at all. It's always cheaper to check the rules before, so you don't need to 'unmodify' your car.

Fifth: the best thing to upgrade is safety. If you don't have a set of harnesses or sports seats, or a roll-bar, get those in your car.

Sixth, and most important: make sure your car is up to the task of track driving IN IT's PRESENT FORM! Make sure all maintenance is up to date. Check when stuff like rod-bearings, timing belt & rollers, seals, gaskets, fluids were last replaced. Too many people focus on modifying their car and often neglect the normal maintenance. Guess what? Their modded-beast racer winds up sitting in the pits on race weekend due to the blown headgasket or a failed timing belt!

Ok, sorry for going on and on, but I hope this helps! I know it's probably not what you wanted to hear, but IMHO, going this 'slower' route will give you much more satisfaction and success in racing!

Good luck!
-Zoltan.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:39 PM
Driv300mph
Track Day

Wow, thanks for the long reply...

I, myself, don't have any "track" time. My brother, however, is a certified driving instructor. He got a 1978 911 Targa for his first car when he was 16 (16 years ago, he is now 32) and he still has it.

The only track time I have, being 17, is Autocross. I plan to attend all of the local PCA events this season, as I only went to two last year. I drove a 2002 V6 Mustang at the time, and I'm happy to say I did pretty damn well, beat a couple 911s, two 944 NA's, and an RSX-S too...

The 951 has a roll bar, strut bar, and has the rear seats stripped out along with the stereo.

I will get my brother on here to let you all know more about the car. Until then, check out his vette at www.cardomain.com/id/driv300mph --- I will post pics of his 951 as soon as I can get pics of it.

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2004, 03:42 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fact that you have a bit of autox experience is a definate plus. Hope that you plan on using your 951 in that venue more and more!!

One more suggestion: use a good high-performance street tire instead of R-compounds or racing tires when you first venture out on the track. It is a cheaper way to go at first, and you really don't need slicks for the first season or two on the track. You can learn more on a street tire in the beginning.

-Zoltan.

Quick Reply: Few questions for a n00b... please?