Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle speed adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 11:31 AM
Madmax64
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Idle speed adjustment

My 944S seems to have lots of missing wires/connections. Not sure if this is causing my idle issue, but it is idling really high, as in 2000 RPMs. I'm going to try doing the idle adjustment, but it does concern me when I was working on the Power Steering that I saw so many missing connectors, or wires 'dangling'. Now that I got the PS fixed (again!) other than the high idle, it runs like a demon! I love my C3, but man, this car puts it to shame, and in a really really bad way! I just need to spend some more time and love with the S to get everything purring just right.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:41 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

The 944S does not allow for idle adjustment. There is no idle adjustment screw other than the throttle stop.
The ECU via the air valve and possibly spark advance controls idle speed in a closed loop.
The wires to the PS pump actually trigger the ECU to idle higher in the event you crank the wheel all the way to lock and put load on the engine. It's possible you need to hook up or ground out those wires somewhere to tell the ECU not to do that anymore.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:51 AM
Madmax64
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
The 944S does not allow for idle adjustment. There is no idle adjustment screw other than the throttle stop.
The ECU via the air valve and possibly spark advance controls idle speed in a closed loop.
The wires to the PS pump actually trigger the ECU to idle higher in the event you crank the wheel all the way to lock and put load on the engine. It's possible you need to hook up or ground out those wires somewhere to tell the ECU not to do that anymore.
THAT is EXTREMELY interesting. On the bottom of my PS pump there is a connector with two prongs and NOTHING connected to it, and I can't find a loose/dangling cable anywhere. I know the previous owner replaced the PS pump (and didn't get the lines all tightened down). So maybe that's my idle issue? Maybe not though, I am running 2000 RPM idle all the time. It didn't do this on the way home when I bought it, this is something that just started.

Quick Reply: Idle speed adjustment