Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny issues???

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 01:22 PM
erics944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny issues???

Bought an '86 944na automatic last december, and put it back on the road a few weeks ago. I think I am having some tranny issues.

First, while sitting at a stop light in gear(D) some times it feels like it will pop out of gear and back in really quickly. However i noticed yesterday that the rpm's drop about 200rpm's to around 800rpm's. This may be a bad Idle control valve. Which might also why when the engine is warm and put in park the rpm's go up to 1800.

Secondly, and most concerning. The last two days while driveing around i would be going down the road then floor it. It would start to take off then a few seconds later the rpm's jumped to 6000. Didn't really feel like the car was going any faster. i will have to try it one more time just to verify.

Before i try it again i am going to check the level of the tranny fluid and change the fluid. The PO had it last changed three years ago and approx 20,000mi ago. If it does it again I am going to take it to a shop and have them check it. I want to learn all about these cars. I would love to learn how to work on them. Can anyone give me some quick directions on how to fill the tranny. I know how to check it, make sure its warm, in Neutral with parking brake on. and check the reservoir.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:17 PM
Sgopher
Instructor

Eric,
It sounds more like a clutch issue to me. The clutch slipping would allow the engine to rev higher without any change in acceleration. I am by no means an expert, but this might be more of the place to look. The only way I could see it being the transmissions is if the gear was not selected properly or it "pops" out of gear. Maybe someone else will chime in.

EDIT:

Scratch the above, I just re-read and noticed you have an automatic.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:29 PM
j_overly
Instructor

Low fluid level?

You fill them in underneath on the transmission (same place you check the level).. use quart bottles and be prepared to spill some. Just keep filling it, let it settle a second, and add more. Once you start it up, it will suck up some of the fluid, so be ready to add more. Just keep at it until the level is right when warm and in neutral. Drive around the block, come back and check it again.

I pulled out the plastic screen when filling it so I wouldn't have to wait forever for the fluid to flow through it. Also get your new rubber pan gasket warm before installing it. Mine was folded over when I got it and a bit out of shape. It will seat better if it is warm and flexible.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:35 PM
j_overly
Instructor

What I have read if the rubber dampner starts to go out, you will know it right away. The car will shake pretty bad when going into gear.

Quick Reply: Tranny issues???