Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to disable the column lock?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 08:57 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt R
By the way on the 944, and most euro cars, the steering wheel doesn't lock until you pull the key out of the lock.
That doesn't matter to most race organizations, so you just do what they say and disable the steering lock.
That bit about the lock not engaging until you pull the key got me when I first started tinkering with my '84. I had the ignition lock out of it to fit a new cylinder, and as I was testing it I saw the lock wasn' t extending. I was sure there was something wrong! I didn't observe that the lock didn't extend until after you pulled the key until after posting here asking about it.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:17 PM
PerryB
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No Porsche content.

Big Basin! I used to live very near there back in the 1980's. Beautiful area. I used to ride my bike on Highway 236 and on Lodge Rd. and China Grade.

Sorry to hear about the fire.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:59 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryB
No Porsche content.

Big Basin! I used to live very near there back in the 1980's. Beautiful area. I used to ride my bike on Highway 236 and on Lodge Rd. and China Grade.

Sorry to hear about the fire.
Me too. I was very upset about it myself, I got out about 15 minutes behind the fire crew and about 10 minutes ahead of the fire, which burned my barn to the ground and also took our my water and power. It was six months before we could move back into the house and cottage, which didn't burn.

Advice to folks living in a forest; side your buildings with stucco. My barn was all wood and went up like a torch, but the house and cottage were sided with stucco and came out almost clean as a whistle. We lost a few windows to heat stress but the buildings came through with flying colors.

I sold the place earlier this month at a greatly reduced price, but the couple who bought it knew what they were doing. I call it a "pre-disastered" house now, it made it through the Loma Prieta earthquake back in '89, two major windstorms in '07 and '20, the pandemic, and a wildfire. Not much else to test? That's one solid house.

If you biked or hiked 236 from 9 at the Waterman Gap to China Grade, you went right past it. I lived there for 35 years and I'll miss it.
Old 05-29-2021, 10:05 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Mike, do you have any advice on push button starters for these cars? I'm about at my wits end trying to repair my ignition switch after this operation. I took the lock housing in to my local machine shop and they ground off the pin that locks the column, then took it to a local locksmith to have the tumbler/cylinder replaced and while it was there they removed the ignition switch (the electrical part at the back of the cylinder) and lost it. I ordered a replacement switch (964.613.012.00) and got an original Porsche part, but it doesn't fit the housing.

After 3 years I'm about ready to give up and put in a button starter, but I have no idea how to do it?

Quick Reply: Best way to disable the column lock?