Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to disable the column lock?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 12:54 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Best way to disable the column lock?

I've finally removed and repaired the ignition switch on my '89 S2 and soon I'll be re-installing it, but before I do I'd like to disable the column lock "feature". The club I race with doesn't allow column locks and since my ignition lock is already out (and since it's such a PITA to get it out) I think it's something best done now.

I talked to the locksmith that replaced the damaged cylinder and keyed it to my old lockset. I asked if they could also disable the column lock and they declined, suggesting I might grind it off. That much was obvious

Anyone know if this can be done without a grinder? It would be nice it I could just take out a part?

Regards,
Old 06-16-2020, 08:30 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

We had to do this to our ITB 924 car for the same reasons, racing. After removing the lock mechanism (the casting that houses the lock and switch) from the car, the locking "bolt" (really just a plug of metal) is accessible. We then busted it out of its tracks with an air chisel, should be easily repeatable with a manual hammer and cold chisel.

I believe the housing on the 944 is similar enough if not identical, as this technique was recommended by a friend racing an early 944.

Be sure to get the spring as well as the bolt.

Be equally sure to test it thoroughly!!! Don't want to find out on track that you missed a bit...

PS - holler if you need a picture, I do have a spare lock mechanism/housing intact on the bench I can use for reference.
The following users liked this post:
Jay Wellwood (06-16-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 07:22 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 924RACR
holler if you need a picture, I do have a spare lock mechanism/housing intact on the bench I can use for reference.
A picture would be useful if it isn't much trouble, and I mean that. No need to spend a lot of time, but if it's easy a picture might help.

I expect I can figure it out, but if I can send a picture to the locksmith that has the part, they may be able to do something while I'm away it was seems to e an almost permanent lockdown of California...

Thank's very much,

Last edited by Otto Mechanic; 06-19-2020 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-19-2020, 01:07 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Just Cut the tab off with a wizzer wheel, in the time it took to write this, It could have been done.. If you're worried about putting the car back to stock.. Just get a used Lock with key and cut THAT one off and save yours. or leave the lock out entirely and put a toggle switch in with a push-button start.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:39 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GPA951s
Just Cut the tab off with a wizzer wheel, in the time it took to write this, It could have been done.. If you're worried about putting the car back to stock.. Just get a used Lock with key and cut THAT one off and save yours. or leave the lock out entirely and put a toggle switch in with a push-button start.
No, I just thought there might be a way to take it apart. I'm not a locksmith.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:16 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

The early cars you can actually slide the mechanism up the steering column so the steel stub can't get through the column (via a hole) to the shaft. But the late interior cars changed the mechanism so cutting the end off is the only practical solution.
Old 06-20-2020, 01:11 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van
The early cars you can actually slide the mechanism up the steering column so the steel stub can't get through the column (via a hole) to the shaft. But the late interior cars changed the mechanism so cutting the end off is the only practical solution.
Fair enough. Just touching all the bases. Thanks Van.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:24 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Here's a couple of pics of the lock housing, from a 924 Turbo; I expect it's the same to the early 944, not so sure about later.

Anyway, you can see a small hole in the inside bore, that's where the locking bolt pops out of. Seems I've already removed it from this one, sorry...

The following users liked this post:
Otto Mechanic (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 04:13 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Thanks very much for the picture, I'm just now getting back to this after almost a year recovering from the August CZU Lightning Complex fire that burned through my property in Big Basin CA last year,

Unfortunately, the mechanism you've shown doesn't resemble the one in my '89 S2 but I'm sure it will be useful to other folks.

Best Regards,
Old 04-12-2021, 04:24 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 150 Posts

Why would a person want to disable their ignition lock? Why would it even be required by a race organization?
Old 04-12-2021, 05:25 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by tempest411
Why would a person want to disable their ignition lock? Why would it even be required by a race organization?
Its a pretty common thing on a race car. If it inadvertently engages it would be a big issue and I’ve known the key to fall out on moving cars who haven’t installed a push start.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:09 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

I disabled mine. Very handy as I leave the key in most of the time.. loading in the trailer is ez. Don’t have to pull the key. Also peace of mind when on track. I’ve had to recycle the key once or twice @ 120 mph.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:16 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Its a pretty common thing on a race car. If it inadvertently engages it would be a big issue and I’ve known the key to fall out on moving cars who haven’t installed a push start.
Wouldn't the NHTSA consider that an even bigger concern on the street? I'm surprised there wasn't a recall.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:55 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

There have been recalls for keys / ignition locks.
My wife's old Impala had a recall, the hole in the key was a slot, not a round hole, and in certain cases with a heavy key chain your key could inadvertently turn while driving.
I had a old Chevy pickup where you could remove the key when it was running, and you could turn it to any position without the key, but when you turned it to "lock" it would lock there until you put the key back in.
Look at all the other updates done over the years. Can't shift to reverse or park unless your foot is on the brake. Can't remove the key until the transmission is in park.
I forget what car it was, but there was at least one that you had to push a lever on the column before you could move the key to the lock position.

By the way on the 944, and most euro cars, the steering wheel doesn't lock until you pull the key out of the lock.
That doesn't matter to most race organizations, so you just do what they say and disable the steering lock.

Last edited by Kurt R; 04-12-2021 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:27 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by tempest411
Wouldn't the NHTSA consider that an even bigger concern on the street? I'm surprised there wasn't a recall.
Not really an issue on a street car, you are not even close to throwing the car around or at WOT as much as on a track. Though if your key or lock is worn that may cause it to fall out but that’s not a NHTSA concern.

Quick Reply: Best way to disable the column lock?