Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car's going in for some paint tomorrow! yay!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 02:16 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 62 Posts
Talking Car's going in for some paint tomorrow! yay!

Well tomorrow's the big day for my car! It's going in for a paint job! Tonight I'm going to remove the rear Porsche decal and badge and some trim. I couldn't get the door handles off the car because I notice the freaking window track is in the way, preventing me to access that small plastic clip that attaches to the linkage...boy I remember it a lot easier on my 84 when it came to removing door handles....I guess they are just going to have to mask it off Boy I sure hope it turns out good....

Anyways, I'm really excited too at the same time which is why I'm posting...sorry for my positive rant. Wish me luck!

Andy
Old 03-10-2004, 02:17 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

oh BTW! I'll have pictures right after the fresh paint since I'm gonna buy some Digital Camera rechargable batteries!

Andy
Old 03-10-2004, 02:43 PM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tomorow... damn... looks like you did edge me out on whose new car gets painted first...

You'll have your come-uppance...
Old 03-10-2004, 03:03 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey -- that's very exciting! I'm gonig to need something like that soon, too. If you don't mind me asking, how much is it going to cost and for what kind of service/paint? It sounds like you're letting the shop do most of the prep work.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:04 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Jonas, it even suprised me too this morning when my dad said, "I don't care if your tax return has come yet or not, tomorrow, we are getting it painted."

HELL YEAH!

Andy
Old 03-10-2004, 04:02 PM
icat
Race Car

Door handles are a snap to take off. Don't worry about the door panel - it can stay on. Just follow the instructions in the sig...

A word of advice. INSIST - GET IT IN WRITING - THAT YOU BE ALLOWED TO INSPECT THE CAR AFTER IT IS MASKED AND BEFORE IT GOES IN PAINT BOOTH. Trust me on this one. Also, spray pam or oil or dirt or mud or vaseline or something that paint won't stick to on the engine. DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - never, ever go there....

But seriously - look at the masking job before it goes in the paint booth. Make sure the door handle holes, door locks, etc. are masked off - otherwise the paint WILL find it's way onto the interior.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:18 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

I'd like to know why you think its a snap to take them off because I had such a hard time on this car...Jonas Goldsmith off this board can even vouch for me since we both tried it together and no such luck since the freakin plastic piece attached to the handle is behind the window frame.

I dropped the car off this morning and went over the car one more time to show them what needed to be done. I instructed them one more time that I want the rocker panels to be sprayed correctly since the last idiot that took the car to Earl Scheib didn't realize that the original color underneath still showed on the rocker panels.

I'm praying that they do a good job. BTW, they have painted 944s an uncountable amount of times... In fact there was a sapphire blue 944 there getting repainted and the prep work was still visible and was going in for paint today! I must say, nice job prepping that car! I hope they do the same on mine too.

I guess I'll find out in 7 more days.

Andy

Last edited by TheStig; 03-11-2004 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:59 PM
Lawn Gnome
Racer

I'm getting mine painted on Monday. I'm doing all the prep work myself and I am almost finished!
Old 03-11-2004, 05:31 PM
icat
Race Car

Originally posted by TheStig
I'd like to know why you think its a snap to take them off because I had such a hard time on this car...Jonas Goldsmith off this board can even vouch for me since we both tried it together and no such luck since the freakin plastic piece attached to the handle is behind the window frame.
5 minutes tops - and that includes getting the tools out. Lots of write ups on how to do this, including mine.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:03 PM
Antonio951
Drifting

mine is in the shop and has been for almost 1 month. Cant wait to get it back.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:38 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

I am gonna do mine myself, maybe we can compare results once all of the cars are finished, I will have to figure out the easy way to take off thsoe door panels as well, I am going to take my time in the prep work thats what really counts!
Old 03-11-2004, 10:08 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Mine's in for paint tomorrow as well. No prep work, haven't had the time........
Old 03-11-2004, 10:13 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

man, lots of cars getting painted for the upcoming summer, we should start our own picture post when its all finish, freshly painted 944's!
Old 03-12-2004, 04:04 PM
nineeagles
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car is partially prepped....hood, front bumper, cowling, right side fender is prepped.....this weekend I am going at it again.....taking my time to get her ready for early April paint job......luckily all I have to do when prepped is push it across the parking lot to the paint booth and then push her back in my garage for color sanding and buffing and then complete interior install.....alot of work ahead, though
Old 03-12-2004, 08:39 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Where are you guys going for your paint? I'm thinking about getting mine done come June or July and need a good reputable shop that isn't going to totally screw me or mess up the car. I was going to go to a dealer, figuring they have enough brains to not sand off the zinc and f-up the galvanizing or anything stupid like that, but if there's another place you recommend, I'd gladly take it there. . . Anything within 3-4 hours of LA is desirable, but I'll go further for the right place.

Any idea what it costs? I was figuring about $2,500 to $3,000 including some light body work (a dime-sized ding in the hood & cracks in the front valence I'd like fixed).

Quick Reply: Car's going in for some paint tomorrow! yay!