Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting lug nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 12:31 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Painting lug nuts?

Here's the deal. I'm getting new wheels (actually the 17" Cup I wheels off Jjmson20's car, and my friend is buying the rest of the car), but my lug nuts definatly don't look the part. Last year I had my 4 locking nuts replaced with new aluminum ones, but kept the rest of them stock. Thing is I know when I first 'crack' them loose, you can hear an audible "click" sound. My understanding is this means they are about to die....am I right?

If I'm right....does anyone have pictures of the steel lug nuts on a car (do they look bad enough to warrant the cost of the aluminum ones?)

If I'm wrong....Is it possible to paint the old lug nuts to match the new lug nuts? If so, what kind of paint would you reccomend? Would it be pointless to paint them if I don't get a soft socket (i.e. will using a steel socket take the paint off in no time?).
Old 03-08-2004, 12:34 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

i used some black high-temp paint on some lug nuts before, but with a metal socket, the paint comes off as soon as you start torquing them down.

if you're concerned about their integrity as well as their cosmetic condition, i would just buy some new ones. you can get a full set off ebay for $80
Old 03-08-2004, 12:38 AM
Fixn2xlr8
Bunny with a Mission
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 79 Posts

I think the click you are hearing is normal. If not I have 20 that are about to fail. Many moons ago when I was in highschool i took mine off and polished the aluminum ones in shop class. They looked real nice, just an option ya might want to think about.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:52 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Originally posted by Fixn2xlr8
I think the click you are hearing is normal. If not I have 20 that are about to fail. Many moons ago when I was in highschool i took mine off and polished the aluminum ones in shop class. They looked real nice, just an option ya might want to think about.
Yeah, the fact that they ALL do it makes me feel more confident about their integrity.

As for the polishing....not a bad suggestion, but don't think it would look right on painted wheels IMHO.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:57 AM
Fixn2xlr8
Bunny with a Mission
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 79 Posts

I had black centered cookie cutters at the time and it really looked nice, or at least nicer than scuffed up painted ones. id thought about polishing mine now with the super cups.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:11 AM
boomerang
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lugs and painting

Try just paiting the tops of the lug nuts, some light overspray will fall on the sides, but not enough to chip off. Let me know how that works out.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:24 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Default Re: Lugs and painting

Originally posted by boomerang
Try just paiting the tops of the lug nuts, some light overspray will fall on the sides, but not enough to chip off. Let me know how that works out.
Hmm...good idea. Plus it's really only the tops you see anyways, and they shouldn't get scratched by the socket (assuming the socket is deep enough, which mine is).
Old 03-08-2004, 11:10 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Cheap trick for not scratching lug nuts:

Take a dry cleaning bag, place it over the lug to be tightened. Push the socket down onto the lug, very slowly, the plastic should go around the lug nut, tighten, and remove!

This technique works pretty well! Easier if you use small pieces of bag, and don't have to to turn the lug nut too many times, as the plastic does get wrapped around the lug wrench.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:54 PM
icat
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the open steel lugs on my 993 Cups and they look fine. The hole the lugs go in is deep enough to require direct sun or another light source to even tell there isn't a proper lug nut there.

On painting - I tried to remove the finish on mine to repaint them. Had no luck what so ever. Left the darn things in aircraft aluminum paint remover overnight - no affect at all. I didn't think about polishing them. Joyce got me a grinder for Christmas - that might make a good little project!

Quick Reply: Painting lug nuts?