Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Griots Speed Shine - waddya think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Griots Speed Shine - waddya think?

For the last 2 years, my 951 has always had a nice coat of 3M Hand Glaze on it. It shines very well, provides some protection (until wet), but is pretty labor intesive to get it all worked in. Since I don't wax my car, each washing requires a follow up application.

I have heard good things about Griots Speed Shine, but not much about the effort or ease of use.

Let me know your thoughts. TIA
Old 03-07-2004, 08:10 PM
Bones944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't say anything about their speed shine, but their paint is terrible. I repainted some wheels with their zinc primer, "german wheel paint", and clear. The silver was 2 shades too dark, and the clear yellowed and cracked after a few months. 2 years later the clear is very yellow and flaking off so I solved the problem and bought new wheels.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:10 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

How could yours look ANY better? I guess first in show isnt enough for ya anymore??!!

j/k- I use lard on mine.

I pretty sure Harry got some Griot's stuff- I wonder if he's used it yet.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:48 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

speed shine is the ****. use between waxings when you wanna tidey her up. very easy to use, and makes the car look fan-****in-tastic. cant say enough good things about griots. i also love their wheel cleaner, really makes em look good, and a lil goes along way. no synthetics in griots stuff either. i use their wax, vynal cleaner and glass polishing stuff too. started using it right after i came back from cali, and fell in love with it. (one of the 912ers turned me on to them).

but the best thing the have is their speed shine.

i also use 3m hand glaze.

my process is...

wash, dry, polish, 3m hand glaze, wax. (2x a year with all of these.. my spring cleaning around april and my late july cleaning) this is full ***** out detailing, wheels, polish chrome, clean every speck in and out that i can.

between washes i use speed shine.

regular cleaning is as follows

wash & wax & speed shine in between. (about once a month)

also every time i wash i do wheels, polish chrome, and vacume and dust.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:03 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

im obsessive compulive at times but she gets dirty easy, and dirt and dust shows up easily.. and bugs.. i hate bugs all over her... but thats what ya get when you like to take REALLY long drives

here she is (with bra).. clean as a bell after the 1st day, when we arived in iowa (washed and waxed before we left)

here she is documenting the bugs after the 3000 mile treck to cali, when we i arrived and tagged along fro the 1st winery tour.. the way she looked from lots of road grime, and the way she sounded with a blown valve, no one could believe i made it all the way out there.. they thought she was a beater from what they could see and hear...

here she is after i washed her, in california

(with the engine trouble she sounded bad.. with the way she looked after all the driving, she looked just as bad.. alot of people thought she looked like a beater .. how do i know.. everyones mouthes dropped when they saw me waxing her, and couldnt believe it.. they actually thought i was detailing someone elses car for them!) someone was so impressed as you can see, they actually put a few votes in fro my car in the car show..

heres bugs on the way home in illinois (this is what i was doing when i was waiting on chris to meet me at the gas station in springfield... taking pics and documenting the bugs)

Old 03-07-2004, 09:34 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

I remember that last picture.. the bugs tasted good.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:56 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Perry-
I use Griots stuff almost exclusively including the Speedshine. Nothing can help the 9-5-1 cuz its got more chips and imperfections than a prostitutes dental work, but its the only stuff I put on the 930. I also use their wheel cleaner which is endorsed by BBS for the BBS rims. I like P21S but I think Griots works better (ounce for ounce I think Griots is cheaper too). Griots interior cleaner is incredible. Im about to clean the whole carpet with the stuff. Their stuff isnt cheap but I find it of the highest quality and is almost always safe for the car. Im going to try some of their engine detailer soon.

I word of advice though. Your cleaner/shiner is only as good as the tool you apply it with. Spend some money and get some top quality buffing and shining towels/cloths. $50 here will make your car look twice as good. The crap at Autozone is just like using sandpaper. And never use a cloth for more than one job. If you use a cloth for Speedshine, ALWAYS use it for that only. I code all my cloths so even when cleaned any leftover residue is still the same stuff Im going to apply in the future. I have Speedshine "applying" cloths, then Speedshine "buffing" cloths. Ive found this to be the best results. I sometimes keep a small spritzer bottle of the stuff in the glove compartment too with a cloth so if a bird craps on the car while Im out I can get if off before it burns a ****-splat onto the paint. I wipe the 930 down after every drive. About 15-20min start to finish. Toughest parts are bugs on the front. Pain in the *** yes, but since your 951 is speudo brand new I would suggest nothing less.

I take the 9-5-1 through the car wash. Only a friggin repaint will do the job on that thing so I could really care less at this point.

I want to try Griots window cleaner. Ive been pretty happy with Eagle 1 20/20 or whatever it is though. Ive got a bunch of Griots brushes for wheels, spokes, carpets, detail dust brushes, etc and they are top notch. Everything is guaranteed for life so if it bonks, just send it back for a replacement. The wheel cleaner tools are really nice. Makes quick work of mesh wheels and they will not damage them.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:29 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

.. prostitutes.. dental work. a classic.

I gotta party with you cowboy.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:50 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Likewise, I enjoy using the Speed Shine...Works very well for between wash cleanups, though it won't really tackle the touch stuff like tar...

Quick Reply: Griots Speed Shine - waddya think?