Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Dude with 3d 944 model

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 12:28 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL....well, that's not unusual if your teacher isn't well versed in what program is being used and how to use it and has some experience with it. Unfortunately that often is a waste of time in those type classes. Being able to help the teach a lot can come in useful down the road though....I used to could come and go as I pleased from some of my college courses since I knew as much or more about some topics than the teacher did.

I'd say start with a few simpler objects first and complete them, render them and look at your work. Then get more complex. If you start on a very complex project right off you miss learning some of the concepts in a simpler environment and could get frustrated working alone and give up completely because you have something overwhelming in your hands and cannot figure out how to finish it. I know...I didn't really do that much either....I kind of jumped in hot and heavy and ended up leaving a few projects behind because they were never going to work after I got them so far and learned more about the program. Probably better do so simpler and finish things and get in that mindset of finishing projects.

LightWave and many of these 3d programs have educational discounts that are very deep. www.newtek.com or www.sharbor.com (where I have bought my stuff) can give you info on educational versions. Something like $400 for LW I think....well, $395
Old 03-09-2004, 12:41 AM
Variance
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good point on the aspect on knowledge of the program. Also a good point on simpler objects. I'm going to be switching out from 3DS Max, so I'll need to re-educate myself. Maybe I'll model a piston and such first, heh. Oh, and on another note, if you ever come to Clarksville or even come on post for business, send me a message; I'd love to see your car.

-=Kenneth=-
Old 03-09-2004, 01:29 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have decent experience, it's not as big of a problem, but the basic way that LightWave and 3ds max handle objects and polygons and vertices is fairly different and takes some getting used to.

We have a customer there on the base that does county clerk's work for Montgomery County TN (license plate renewals, etc.) and if I ever get to come down there I know they'll want me to come see them, too. I'll let you know if I do get down that way.

Quick Reply: To Dude with 3d 944 model