Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16" wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 09:52 AM
Nasher
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 16" wheels

Hi

i thought you might be interested to know that Pirelli have made the Cinturato P7 tyre again that was such an important Porsche tyre, has been produced again in 16"

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pir...turato-p7.html

Porsche themselves. Before the tyres were released for sale Porsche tested them, and they were not releaed untill they had attained the N Porsche homologation
Old 03-18-2020, 03:11 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Nasher
Hi

i thought you might be interested to know that Pirelli have made the Cinturato P7 tyre again that was such an important Porsche tyre, has been produced again in 16"

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pir...turato-p7.html

Porsche themselves. Before the tyres were released for sale Porsche tested them, and they were not releaed untill they had attained the N Porsche homologation
It's great to see this, but are those prices per-tire? I just bought a set of Pirelli P Zero Rossos for in 245/45/16 and 225/50/16 for around $1100. Those^ are showing as $451.92 for the 245/45 tire, with the quantity showing as "1". Are they that much better that the P Zero Rossos?
Old 03-18-2020, 08:51 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

I wish for Avon 'tyres' in the states as they make quite fabulous sport bike grippy things.

my senses err me towards wet grip as odds show that is when you are most likely to toss it.

nostalgia aside, that pattern seems like it could be loud.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:57 AM
Nasher
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The P-Zero Rosso is a better tyre for a modern car.

A P7 is a better tyre for Late '70s, '80s cars

The differences are subtle. they both have Pirelli quality control and the modern compounds will grip and move water better than they did in period. However the benefits are that the carcass is built to compliment the chassis of an earlier car.

don't take it form me with my obvious interest check out the Lamborghini Boys https://www.lamborghinichat.com/foru...508651/page-12 It is a joy for me to read. I love a happy customer. far more important than the fast buck.

Incidentally in the US try Lucas classic tires in Longbeach LA. They distribute the Pirelli Classiche range in the States.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:56 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Nasher
The P-Zero Rosso is a better tyre for a modern car.

A P7 is a better tyre for Late '70s, '80s cars

The differences are subtle. they both have Pirelli quality control and the modern compounds will grip and move water better than they did in period. However the benefits are that the carcass is built to compliment the chassis of an earlier car.

don't take it form me with my obvious interest check out the Lamborghini Boys https://www.lamborghinichat.com/foru...508651/page-12 It is a joy for me to read. I love a happy customer. far more important than the fast buck.

Incidentally in the US try Lucas classic tires in Longbeach LA. They distribute the Pirelli Classiche range in the States.
So, to be clear, you are affiliated with either Pirelli or that company you linked to earlier?
Old 03-19-2020, 05:32 PM
screamin94Z
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by divil
So, to be clear, you are affiliated with either Pirelli or that company you linked to earlier?
What about his post makes you think he is anything other than an enthusiast? I don't see anything to suggest that he is peddling tires for Pirelli or any other business. Put away your pitchforks so this can be a discussion about tires.

Seems nothing more than a FYI as may people don't prefer the look of a modern tire on a classic car but still want updated performance and safety from the most important item you can buy for your car. Also, with 15 and 16 inch sizes disappearing at a high rate, there won't be many modern rubber options at all.

Yes, they're expensive because they are going to be sold in considerably lower volumes than their P Zero line. The GM of my local Porsche dealer just bought a set of these P7's for his early 928 and they look perfectly period correct on the original 15" phone dials.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:49 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by screamin94Z
What about his post makes you think he is anything other than an enthusiast? I don't see anything to suggest that he is peddling tires for Pirelli or any other business. Put away your pitchforks so this can be a discussion about tires.

Seems nothing more than a FYI as may people don't prefer the look of a modern tire on a classic car but still want updated performance and safety from the most important item you can buy for your car. Also, with 15 and 16 inch sizes disappearing at a high rate, there won't be many modern rubber options at all.

Yes, they're expensive because they are going to be sold in considerably lower volumes than their P Zero line. The GM of my local Porsche dealer just bought a set of these P7's for his early 928 and they look perfectly period correct on the original 15" phone dials.
Oh I don't know, maybe this bit?

Trending Topics

Old 03-20-2020, 08:08 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by screamin94Z
What about his post makes you think he is anything other than an enthusiast?
New user, 28 posts, every one of them talks about tyres, most have a link to the same website.

I had P6s back in the day, worst tire ever in the wet.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kurt R:
divil (03-20-2020), Qtrfoil (09-01-2020)

Quick Reply: 16" wheels