Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumper pad delete

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 11:30 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,112 Likes on 424 Posts

To This...

I had my bumper pushed in for a while..but decided to pick up a used turbo nose @ Hershey.....

1-Turbo Bumper $210
1-Turbo Nose panel $50
2 wks at Body shop $900

Your car looking faster than it is....

Priceless...well kinda.....

I saved about 50 pounds of the front, not bad..
Old 03-06-2004, 11:32 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lookin good... Don't stop on the mods...

Damian
Old 03-06-2004, 11:49 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

You either....

That is until I get a TURBO..Muahahaha
Old 03-07-2004, 12:19 AM
joseywhales
Instructor

It's great to see those who apreciate the classic and strive to keep'em look'in good, albeit differant , but then that's the beauty, in the beholder!! Scott.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:48 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by fty

I saved about 50 pounds of the front, not bad..
How is this? Is the turbo bumper 50lbs lighter than non-turbo? I see that you eliminated the fogs- those things are glass, & heavy- that's probably 10lbs lighter than normal 951 front right there....

Lead foot- how do you open your hatch now, w/out a key hole back there? Is your's a manual or electric style hatch release? I'm assuming the old manual style, but...

Also- what is everyone talking about here- a 968 front conversion? Who's car- where, etc?

Thanks
Old 03-07-2004, 02:42 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Robby
How is this? Is the turbo bumper 50lbs lighter than non-turbo? I see that you eliminated the fogs- those things are glass, & heavy- that's probably 10lbs lighter than normal 951 front right there....
All that I have is the Bumper cover....No bumper shocks/no metal bumper.....NOTHING just a bumper cover....all the plastic none of the metal...-chris I may have saved even more wieght...
Old 03-07-2004, 02:59 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

After getting hit in the rear in a parking lot, and having zero total damage due to the bumper shocks compressing and doing their job, I'd be really hesitant to push in the front ones. Just my opinion though.
Well in all honesty, when you replace your stock bumpers with fiberglass ones, if you get hit in a parking lot the fiberglass will crack anyways, and in a collision it wil just crumple up anyways...weight reduction by switching to fiberglass doesn't come without its compromises.
I have a question about the bumper shock thing (attn CR), when you push the bumper in with your knees, does it slide around easily, or can it fall off? Do you have to set it in place somehow?
Old 03-07-2004, 03:31 AM
CR
Instructor

Friendan,

The bumper does not move around, at least not on mine, and I've never heard of any that do. You have to put quite a bit of pressure on the bumper to get it to push in. I don't know if it creates a vacuum or something in the shocks, but it definitely doesn't move. Hope that helps.

CR
Old 03-07-2004, 04:17 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Sweet...seems fairly straight forward...the only thing is that I would want the holes filled properly and painted nicely...I would delete the headlight washer nozzles too (useless), so before I put it back on I would take it in to get filled and painted.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:33 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by fty
All that I have is the Bumper cover....No bumper shocks/no metal bumper.....NOTHING just a bumper cover....all the plastic none of the metal...-chris I may have saved even more wieght...
I see- I've been semi-considering doing this myself for years now... As for the cracking fiberglass- IF you get hit w/teh regular bumper, it's going to do damge too- EVEN IF the bumper shocks take care of it- you'll STILL probably have to repaint it- I don't know- might be nice tio have a little engine protection there, but, not sure how much the real bumper w/shocks, etc, really helps- just SOO ANY variables-

what if I KEPT the regular bumper & removed the shocks? I assume the real bumper would be a LITTLE sturdier than the fiberglass ones, but, w/out the shocks- not even sure it would work- ? How much do the shokcs weigh? It sounds like they're pretty heavy for what they are....?

Thanks...
Old 03-07-2004, 11:46 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the shocks are heavy, and when you push them in, ill bet you cant even pull them out, i couldnt. If you want to fill in the holes in the bumper correctly, take it to a welding shop or machine shop and talk them into welding it w/ a tig or whatever they use to weld aluminum. I have a guy that does welding for trades like body work on his minivan, does an excellent job.

The original turbo nose is not fibreglass, it is made of polyeurethane or "rubber" so if you do hit something, it may damage the paint but shouldnt do too much to the bumper unless you really smack it.

anyone know where i can get a 924 rear bumper at???????
Old 03-07-2004, 12:16 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Robby
I see- I've been semi-considering doing this myself for years now... As for the cracking fiberglass- IF you get hit w/teh regular bumper, it's going to do damge too- EVEN IF the bumper shocks take care of it- you'll STILL probably have to repaint it- I don't know- might be nice tio have a little engine protection there, but, not sure how much the real bumper w/shocks, etc, really helps- just SOO ANY variables-
Depends on the collision, of course. And what kind of collision you expect. I live in a busy neighborhood and park on the street, so bumpers get bumped all the time while people are parking. There are a couple of ricer cars with fiberglass bumpers that I've slowly watched fall apart over the last year due to the everyday bumps we get here.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:55 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Since we are talking about the ugly us-spec bumpers and improving the look of the car, I'll post the (somewhat grainy due to waning light) photos of the progress on my euro rear bumper. I have it completely stripped, sanded, repaired, and primered. Today I removed the rear stock bumper and shocks to fit the euro rear bumper and shocks to check for fittiment and drill out the new brackets I made and fiberglassed into the bumper (the old ones that the shocks mounted to were cracked). Here are some pics of it on the car. (you can also spot a few other goodies I have added lately in the photo) It will be painted next weekend.

A few observations:

1. The stock US-spec rear bumper shocks (bilstein) are huge and weigh a ton! The euro rear shocks (sachs) are about 1/3 the weight.
2. Removing the US-spec rear bumper without taking off the rear underspoiler is a pain in the ****! Those little 8mm nuts that hold the side panels on are hard to get to. The euro rear bumper does not use those nuts, it is only mounted with the two main bolts on the shocks.

Yes Robby, I will weigh everything this week for you (I forgot today).

Take care,

Jeremy
Old 03-07-2004, 08:35 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Hey Tifo, is the Euro Rear Bumper just bolt-on? What else did you need to get to make them work? I was considering getting one, but depending on what's needed for the conversion...
Old 03-07-2004, 08:43 PM
RobbyK
Pro

Location: The mistake on the lake other wise known as Erie PA

tifosiman where did you get that spoiler ?

Quick Reply: Bumper pad delete