Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Installation Party

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 01:01 AM
ThE sPaCeCoWbOy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Installation Party

I just thought of this while laying in bed thinking about my car.

I am to the point where I'm about to go get my motor, car, and other stuff and put this thing together over my spring break.

Well, I have never put a engine in a car before and I really want to make sure I am doing this right.

So I have 3 options:

A) One of you guys that knows how this goes come up and help me put it in where I will pay you (of course) for helping me out.

B) A group of you guys come up that know how this goes and help me put it in.

C) A group of you guys come up that know how this goes and help me out where I will in return buy your beer for that night/throw a keg party/or both.

I go on spring break from March 12th till March 21st. If anyone/anybody likes one of these options, let me know. If I do get someone, I figure on the 12th if he hasn't started on it, I'll be down to get everything.

Thanks,
space
Old 03-05-2004, 01:25 AM
johne
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah I had 2 people help me do mine. It was very helpful having extra hands. Also if you have the crank pully installed it is a huge pain in the but to install from the top. This is because the crank pulley and the hood latch piece above the radiator get in each other's way. I did this and it took a lot of wiggling and paint scratching to get the motor in (about 1.5 hours of just wiggling). Also if you go from the top make sure you have the hood removed.

If the pulley is installed I recoment you go from the bottom. Just drop the suspension, slide the motor under the car, and pull the motor into position.

good luck,
John
Old 03-05-2004, 01:45 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Bottom is easier.

I'd like to help.. but that's a bit too far of a drive for me. Engine installs are fun... drink a few brews, take your time, and double check your work.

Good luck!
Old 03-05-2004, 10:21 AM
ThE sPaCeCoWbOy
Burning Brakes

I was under the impression that it would be easier to install from the bottom and thats how I wanted to do it.

I would like to do it so I can say that I have done one before, but its no fun by yourself. My cousin is deployed and we usually do stuff like this together.

Anyhow, if anyone is interested, let me know. The more the better. I know I have at least one garage I can do this in, I may have another with a lift, jack, etc...that I would have to ask permission if I can use it as well as everyone that is interested in helping can be there. Regardless, if I do this myself, I would like to have a few others there to help out. And like I said, if we get it done, and even if we get the supercharger on it, we can go out for beers on me...

Thanks,
space
Old 03-07-2004, 05:37 PM
ThE sPaCeCoWbOy
Burning Brakes

bump...I'm being serious..

Thanks,
space
Old 03-08-2004, 06:14 PM
ThE sPaCeCoWbOy
Burning Brakes

still open....hate to do this all by myself and drink all that beer by myself...

space
Old 03-08-2004, 07:02 PM
chapstic951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where is Westernport in relation to Dulles Airport? I am considering pulling my engine due to a leaky oil pan gaskets, amonst others, and would be interested in helping and learning. I have no experience removing or installing any engines so my "expertise" will be limited to the keg. Regardless I would like to offer a hand when I can.

I hear everyone recommending going out from the bottom. The only reservation I have with that is you need to remove the crossover bar and steering rack in addtion to everthing else. From the top, which is going to me my first attempted method of extration, I think you would have to remove the cooling fans and have to becareful with,or remove, the bellhousing. the other problem with going out the top is the need for an engine hoist vs a jack for the bottom.

Quick Reply: Engine Installation Party