Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering pulley removal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004 | 11:32 PM
Cass944
Drifting

Default power steering pulley removal?

in the haynes manual it shows the timing being changed on a car with no power steering i think. it shows them removing 4 bolts that are in the crank pulley. but on my car theres just the one big 24mm crank bolt holding the power steering pulley on there and i dont see any other bolts. how does this come off? do i need to lock the flywheel then turn that 24mm bolt until it comes loose? i didnt think that bolt ever came loose or something.

thanks
Old 03-04-2004 | 11:50 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

The 24 mm bolt. Use a flywheel lock. Re-torque to 150 foot pounds if you want any oil pressure.
Old 03-04-2004 | 11:55 PM
Cass944
Drifting

ick.... see the thing is i dont have a flywheel lock. i think you can use a crowbar or something and get the same results, i dont know how though.
Old 03-05-2004 | 12:11 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You can change the timing belt with the pulleys all attached. If you lay underneath the car, and look at the gap, you can angle the belt so it slides in starting at the bottom and working around the drivers side of the pulley. It will slip right in if you have the right angle.
Old 03-05-2004 | 12:12 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Oh around the drivers side of the pulley i used a flat tip screw driver to push it back onto the timing belt pulley, no force required, just my girly fingers weren't skinny enough.
Old 03-05-2004 | 12:17 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Girly fingers? Not going there.

So this is for a timing belt change! Yes you do not need to remove the crank pulleys.
Old 03-05-2004 | 12:19 AM
Cass944
Drifting

since you mentioned oil pressure, does that mean im going to gave to drain my oil before doing this? it eeds to be changed anyway. but all my buckets are full of coolant at the moment.

were the heck can you get rid of coolant. im not about to go dumping it in lake michigan.
Old 03-05-2004 | 12:22 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you are going to remove the crank bolt, get a lock. The bolt is hard to remove and very hard to torque correctly without one. Also, you want the engine to stay in TDC while working on the belts. 944online has on for $34.

http://www.944online.com/accessories.asp
Old 03-05-2004 | 12:23 AM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by SoCal Driver
So this is for a timing belt change! Yes you do not need to remove the crank pulleys.
I think this statement should say "it depends". With the wider belt on the S2, I needed to remove the pulleys to get the belt out. Then again I really did not try to "force" the issue as I did not want to damage the belt, even though I was replacing it. I figured if it does not come out easy, wasn't going to go on easy......

Best of luck!
Old 03-05-2004 | 12:27 AM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

If you are replacing the waterpump, you will need to remove the pulley, if you are just doing the belts, you can leave the pulley. If you need to remove the pulley, you can do so with someone locking up the flywheel with a flat head screwdriver through the starter opening while the other person removes the bolt. The friction of the pulley drives the oil pump, so you do not have to drain the oil. I also have a couple of gallons of coolant in my garage. I plan on taking it to some of the local repair shops to see if they will recycle it.

*Note- the flywheel lock is preferable. Next time I do the job, I will get one, but if you don't have one and are in a hurry, you can use the screwdriver method
Old 03-05-2004 | 12:30 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

You do not have to drain the oil to replace the belts. If you going to re-seal the front of the engine then yes you have to pull the crank pulley(s).

Take the 24 mm bolt out before you remove the belts. Yes you can jam a large screw driver or crowbar in the bell housing against the flywheel teeth. Remove the pulley(s) after you take off the belts. I've posted a diagram of how to re-align the balance shafts. Do a forum search.

Return the timing to TDC before you remove the belts. This can shift back and forth a few teeth while you do the belt change.
Old 03-05-2004 | 01:26 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

were the heck can you get rid of coolant.
Auto Recycle
Any of these auto recycle centers, most are free.
Old 03-05-2004 | 11:12 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by Riff
I think this statement should say "it depends". With the wider belt on the S2, I needed to remove the pulleys to get the belt out. Then again I really did not try to "force" the issue as I did not want to damage the belt, even though I was replacing it. I figured if it does not come out easy, wasn't going to go on easy......

Best of luck!
It would be harder to get the belt out than put in, due to the fact that you can eye it and line it up going in, but you can't get behind the belt to push it off.....Pair of snips works wonders In fact, i doubt it is possible to get the belt off without pull the pulleys or cutting it in half....But maybe you want to hang the old belt on the living room wall for decoration, in that case pull the pulleys
Old 03-05-2004 | 11:42 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

I was about to say cut the dang belt in half. Guess you could make a pants belt out of one. Gag gift!
Old 03-05-2004 | 01:03 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Cass944
since you mentioned oil pressure, does that mean im going to gave to drain my oil before doing this? it eeds to be changed anyway. but all my buckets are full of coolant at the moment.

were the heck can you get rid of coolant. im not about to go dumping it in lake michigan.
No need to drain anything for just belts.

Get theeself to www.clarks-garage.com

The advice on this thread is spot on correct, but you may benefit from the 'big picture' as shown by Clark.

Quick Reply: power steering pulley removal?